diy solar

diy solar

Massive Texas power outage

2 million without power including a major city after a fairly routine storm looks a lot like being unprepared.
Edit: As others have pointed out, this would not be acceptable in many other parts of the world.
Pfft. Mr electricity there. The storm knocked out multiple primary transmission lines that cross 100's of miles. I can recall hurricane Hugo knocking out a wide swath of South Carolina. Power was out for most of Charlotte for several days.

The problem with people is they aren't old enough to remember past events. Further we move hundreds of thousands of people into areas that formerly had none, then talk about the record number of people affected by some event. Well duh! The same level event now affects twice (or more) as many people. It's just propaganda.

Would you rather have power out for a couple of days every few years or pay three or four times as much for your power? The refineries in Houston are still running, they can make their own juice. You want redundancy for yourself put it in. Generally re-stringing overhead power is pretty fast depending on the extent. They will create work-arounds, but it's going to take a little longer on some of the high-tension stuff.

Pfft. Mr electricity there. The storm knocked out multiple primary transmission lines that cross 100's of miles. I can recall hurricane Hugo knocking out a wide swath of South Carolina. Power was out for most of Charlotte for several days.

The problem with people is they aren't old enough to remember past events. Further we move hundreds of thousands of people into areas that formerly had none, then talk about the record number of people affected by some event. Well duh! The same level event now affects twice (or more) as many people. It's just propaganda.

Would you rather have power out for a couple of days every few years or pay three or four times as much for your power? The refineries in Houston are still running, they can make their own juice. You want redundancy for yourself put it in. Generally re-stringing overhead power is pretty fast depending on the extent. They will create work-arounds, but it's going to take a little longer on some of the high-tension stuff.
Trying to satisfy the public , that doesn’t want to be inconvenienced , but doesnt want to be prepared to take care of their own needs if need be… that’s a tall order to fill..

Burying lines has a whole other set of problems so I don't see that as a practical solution, especially across such a huge area.
It just seems like they are just doing business as usual and focus on maximizing profit instead of reliability. They surely can start by figuring out which lines to prioritize burying that would have the maximum affect. California is finally realizing that they need to bury "main" lines to reduce fire outbreaks.

Picture below is from the February 2021 Great Houston Freeze where it was +13F and the cart powered my furnace to prevent the pipes from bursting. At the time was using the included lead batteries. Now that I have a Lithium server rack no idea what the BMS would do.
Ya golf karts
Let no one ever laugh at an old guy with a golf kart full of batteries and plan again.

My Dad has a golfkart and he traded it for gasoline.
I think that was a mistake myself.
I would have built a hybrid and run on gas when he was far from home but what do i know...

This isn't the wild west; public infrastructure is a given around the developed world these days.
The notion that you must provide your own backup power is just sad; it shows a lack of confidence in the poco to provide.
People have busy lives and other interests.

Trying to satisfy the public , that doesn’t want to be inconvenienced , but doesnt want to be prepared to take care of their own needs if need be… that’s a tall order to fill..
A fellow could go strange trying to prepare for stuff.
You need to be practical about it

And a fellow could do worse than have extra stuff to share with friends and neighbours.
Maybe that old spare generator you don't need anymore will get you a couple cans of gas or cylinder of propane when your sitting in the dark.
Maybe your grateful neighbour has some really nice steaks in the freezer you helped him keep running and invites you over for dinner...

Utility regulation used to be my gig.

It’s a proper scandal. We will see the post action report.

I suspect improper vegetation management, poor maintenance, inadequate repair crew staffing, inadequate resource management related to calling on additional resources, poor deployment when additional resources arrived, and abysmal communications.

Burying the infrastructure would cost a lot. And being coastal, doing so is pretty complicated.

Lots of stuff is hardened, e.g. the medical center. Lots is not.

Tbe Centetpointless service area is huge.

We bailed out today. Just could not take the heat anymore. They pushed back the restoration schedule.

It just seems like they are just doing business as usual and focus on maximizing profit instead of reliability. They surely can start by figuring out which lines to prioritize burying that would have the maximum affect. California is finally realizing that they need to bury "main" lines to reduce fire outbreaks.
Spoken like a true anti-capitalist. If there is no bottom in the checkbook it doesn't matter what it costs. Unfortunately utilities have to answer to both the state regulators and their shareholders. Most power companies profit margins are controlled by state utility commissions. Trying to shove thru a $0.005/kwh rate hike to get a wire buried is unbelievably difficult. The voters spoke up around here on more than one occasion, that is literally all it takes. Of course if you use as much as 3000KWH a month, like I do in the summer, that means an $8.00 to $15.00 hike in my electric bill every month. $120 a year makes people nutty.

Business as usual is to provide a service people want and turn a reasonable profit. These companies are generally open book, how much profit is too much? How much are they "fleecing" their customers out of? I can assure you if a majority of the customers were clamoring for maximum reliability to hell with my rates, it would happen.

Is this just a dry run/test run before the November elections.
I am generally not a conspiracy person but I also don't believe in coincidences. Texas has been through worse storms with less damage and long term power outages, so what is happening?

Is this just a dry run/test run before the November elections.
I am generally not a conspiracy person but I also don't believe in coincidences. Texas has been through worse storms with less damage and long term power outages, so what is happening?
In this case it tipped a bunch of high-tension lines, and a zillion people have moved into the area over the last few years. Once they get something going, they have to inspect everything its feeding. They hope to have 75% recovery by EOD tomorrow, but it will probably be next week before they get some of the more outlying areas.

During the hurricane with all the flooding a few years back it was rather interesting, lots of scattered power outages, with places underwater for weeks. Pick your disaster.

I seem to recall New Orleans was under water for a month a ways back. Stupid politicians should never have let that happen, it's because of corruption, has nothing to do with people building buildings in places that are below sea level, and expecting the government to make it safe.

I seem to recall New Orleans was under water for a month a ways back. Stupid politicians should never have let that happen, it's because of corruption, has nothing to do with people building buildings in places that are below sea level, and expecting the government to make it safe.
I agree there should be a minimum elevation above high tide to get any building permit. Could need 50 to 100' minimum elevation if subject to storm surge. Insurance should start redlining these properties after giving proper notice. Jig is up.

Spoken like a true anti-capitalist. If there is no bottom in the checkbook it doesn't matter what it costs. Unfortunately utilities have to answer to both the state regulators and their shareholders. Most power companies profit margins are controlled by state utility commissions. Trying to shove thru a $0.005/kwh rate hike to get a wire buried is unbelievably difficult. The voters spoke up around here on more than one occasion, that is literally all it takes. Of course if you use as much as 3000KWH a month, like I do in the summer, that means an $8.00 to $15.00 hike in my electric bill every month. $120 a year makes people nutty.

Business as usual is to provide a service people want and turn a reasonable profit. These companies are generally open book, how much profit is too much? How much are they "fleecing" their customers out of? I can assure you if a majority of the customers were clamoring for maximum reliability to hell with my rates, it would happen.
Utilities love to spend money on capital improvements and grid hardening*, there’s a reason majority of top executives are business majors. Quite frankly most IOU (investor owned utilities) sole function to spend money and make capital improvements as that’s what makes money for shareholders, the side effect is to keep the lights on better than the day before.

*Every red cent spend on capital improvements, grid hardening that is approve by local regulators is guaranteed a rate of return for shareholders. It’s up to the regulators to hold the IOU accountable for smart spending and justification of projects that are in the best interest of the rate payer.

If the regulators told the IOUs “bury everything, maximum reliability, spare no costs” they’d jump all over it with dollar signs and monopoly guy imitations. The only down side is rates would skyrocket.

Oh and don’t worry there will be a request for “storm recovery costs” for all the hard work that it will take between the beginning of the storm and the last customer is restored. Linemen will be able to buy their second or third boat and life will go on.

I agree there should be a minimum elevation above high tide to get any building permit. Could need 50 to 100' minimum elevation if subject to storm surge. Insurance should start redlining these properties after giving proper notice. Jig is up.
Half of Florida and Louisiana would be inhabitable, which is prob the way it should be, lol.

Oh and don’t worry there will be a request for “storm recovery costs” for all the hard work that it will take between the beginning of the storm and the last customer is restored. Linemen will be able to buy their second or third boat and life will go on.
Yes and at least half the cost of repair and recovery should come from investor dividends. Make it important to the shareholders.

If the regulators told the IOUs “bury everything, maximum reliability, spare no costs” they’d jump all over it with dollar signs and monopoly guy imitations. The only down side is rates would skyrocket.
I might mention. 90% of politics is local, and in most places these commissioners are elected or appointed by the people you voted for. If you don't like it pay attention, and get involved. Heck run for the office if you think you can do better! Many of these seats are often uncontested.

Yes and at least half the cost of repair and recovery should come from investor dividends. Make it important to the shareholders.
The commission meetings are usually open to the public. Have you ever been to *any* meetings hosted by elected officials? I used to go to the ones in Fayetteville and Hope Mills NC, and Tempe AZ on a semi-regular basis when I lived there. Sadly, not so much in Phoenix, though I might take it up again and get to know a few folks. If you have an opinion you think is worthy, you should really express it there, and get to know your local politicians.

signed by governor 2023-06-13

Part of it is:
(2)it is in the state’s interest to promote the use of resiliency measures to enable electrical transmission and distribution infrastructure to withstand extreme weather conditions, including hardening electrical transmission and distribution facilities, undergrounding certain electrical distribution lines, lightning mitigation measures, flood mitigation measures, information technology, cybersecurity measures, physical security measures, vegetation management, and wildfiremitigationandresponse;

I can assure you if a majority of the customers were clamoring for maximum reliability to hell with my rates, it would happen.
Yep. Utilities are happy to invest $100 million in improvements the regulators want, but then the regulators have to let the utilities make a profit on that $100 million more of rate base by raising rates on customers.

How does a storm with 60 mph winds knock out primary transmission lines? We get 70-80 mph winds periodically and in general, the main lines dont go down. This doesnt make sense. 60 mph is windy, but not uncommon.

diy solar

diy solar
Back