diy solar

diy solar

Massive Texas power outage

Well, there is really no excuse for trees knocking down main lines in 60 mph winds even if there are some microbursts in the mix.
We have tornadoes up here that rip off roofs and tear down lines sometimes, but millions of people without power in one metro area?? Yeah, that has never happened in the midwest as far as I can recall.

Bad idea.
There are economies of scale in sharing public infrastructure. That's why societies evolved this way around the world for centuries.
Besides, there aren't enough cheap, used generators in the world for Everyone to get a deal on one. That's a pyramid/ponzi scheme. Any solution proposed must work for the whole society, not just the lucky few hobbyists.
Got it! Everyone must pay twice as much for their power to add an additional few percentage points of reliability because everyone can't go out and spend $600 for a small generator at harbor freight (of course the $250/mo cable bill is OK). Or better yet hop in a car and drive over to a friend or relatives for a few days, or , .... Because everyone else is too stupid to figure out how to survive without power for a couple days and need to get on with their busy lives and other interests, and would rather have their electric bills double. Got it!

Well, there is really no excuse for trees knocking down main lines in 60 mph winds even if there are some microbursts in the mix.
We have tornadoes up here that rip off roofs and tear down lines sometimes, but millions of people without power in one metro area?? Yeah, that has never happened in the midwest as far as I can recall.

Completely unprecedented in the US for sure:

1720804472110.png

That is crazy expensive. That must have been a long time ago?. I see solar farm purchase agreements going for $0.05/kWh today.
*Today* unfortunately all the solar BS out there was not built *Today*. We are just now starting to see solar costs reach parity with fossil fuel, but I'm not sure you can make money at $0.05/kwh even at scale. Maybe with a subsidy. Unfortunately this is not an instantaneous transition but over time can make a significant impact. I know if all my power was $0.10/kwh I would not have messed with solar.

I do think more localized power generation that can be accomplished inexpensively is a better long term answer than digging in transmission lines. The problem is a large percentage of every KW of solar production has to have a matched output capability through other generation systems. The sun does not always cooperate, and you can only have so much battery. Micro-Nuke plant, cookie cutter design, NG powered plant, and a Solar Farm all together close to where the power is needed!

I think there's a fairly high demand for a small/cheap battery backed hybrid system (say, a 5kwhr server battery and a Growatt SPH3600) that utilities could provide to their customers for even cheaper. You can get the parts for that for $2500. Utility sells it for $1000 with the caveat that they get to control it while the power's on. That way:

1) The utility can report much higher reliabilities for their customers, since their equipment would be keeping the power on during short outages
2) The utility can use it for demand response, thereby reducing the need to buy new generation and/or run their peakers
3) People like it because it provides backup power in cases like this

When neighborhood distribution transformers fail near me (So. CA), SCE brings a 40' trailer, with a generator into the neighborhood, and hooks us all up. The generator is HUGE, but I suspect that a lot of its size is due to copious noise reduction materials, and natgas tanks. All we can hear is a very low hum.

I'm assuming natgas, because there is virtually no exhaust smell.

I think the utilities will smarten up and start doing that eventually. I think they are trying to take control of solar in California from what I have read. Use it to their advantage, etc. Tell me if I am wrong!
In Indiana they are not being smart about it. The utility basically controls the politicians who make the rules. Net metering in Indiana is a joke.

"I think the utilities will smarten up..."

🤣🤣🤣

When neighborhood distribution transformers fail near me (So. CA), SCE brings a 40' trailer, with a generator into the neighborhood, and hooks us all up. The generator is HUGE, but I suspect that a lot of its size is due to copious noise reduction materials, and natgas tanks. All we can hear is a very low hum.

I'm assuming natgas, because there is virtually no exhaust smell.
Modern diesels with emissions are pretty inoffensive expect maybe at startup.

2003 Ohio black out. Wasn't even windy, just a hot day in August.

Group 3: FE failed to manage adequately tree growth in its transmission rights-of-wa This failure was the common cause of the outage of three FE 345-kV transmission lines and one 138-kV line. (See pages 57-64.)

Bad idea.
There are economies of scale in sharing public infrastructure. That's why societies evolved this way around the world for centuries.
Besides, there aren't enough cheap, used generators in the world for Everyone to get a deal on one. That's a pyramid/ponzi scheme. Any solution proposed must work for the whole society, not just the lucky few hobbyists.
I was thinking more locally than global.

I own 9 generators, mostly older units made between 1945 and 1990.
The unloved surplus units I save rag and bone men.
They generally are everywhere if you look.

I don't think its a bad idea for everyone to have some basic stuff.
A spare sump pump and some hose, a generator, a basic supply of home consumables like dried pasta canned corn frozen peas and ground beast in the freezer.
You should have a can of nuts and bolts, a jug of motor oil, zip ties, spare tarps a wheel barrow and shovels...
Calking gun, duct tape, wd40 and vice grips....

Very true…..Who hasn’t tapped on the side of an aquarium just to see how the fish will react..?
Three body problem.
Aliens from outer space fuking with us.
Until they have time to wipe us out.....
Terrifying thought isn't it?

Cultural context for the next clip

Last edited:
Just because your paranoid, it doesn't mean the aren't out to get you! Even in the burbs, you should always have some fresh water, and a couple of days of dry food consumables. I have solar, and probably 25lbs of flour, 20lbs of rice, and 15 gallons of RO water in jugs, a very large bag of non-fat dry milk. Plenty of canned goods and such. I'm actually trying to cut back, We've been eating on food from the freezer and cupboard for about a month, supplemented with fresh produce and milk, ummmmm, and I bought some beer too. No end in sight yet, want to get it down and get a rotation going for the major staple items. With some minor lifestyle adjustments, I could hole up here without power for quite some time.

I was thinking more locally than global.

I own 9 generators, mostly older units made between 1945 and 1990.
The unloved surplus units I save rag and bone men.
They generally are everywhere if you look.

I don't think its a bad idea for everyone to have some basic stuff.
A spare sump pump and some hose, a generator, a basic supply of home consumables like dried pasta canned corn frozen peas and ground beast in the freezer.
You should have a can of nuts and bolts, a jug of motor oil, zip ties, spare tarps a wheel barrow and shovels...
Calking gun, duct tape, wd40 and vice grips....
Well every man has that and more put back…don’t they..? They used to …. maybe times have changed…

Last edited:
Yeah, I am interested in what took out the power too as I am in Temple, TX. And not hearing the details of why? And What is causing the long term outages.

diy solar

diy solar
Back