diy solar

diy solar

Massive Texas power outage

“Simulate the grid” would result in feeding power to the grid, and the failure of scattered solar installs to hold up under that demand would immediately take it down again.

The way to generate locally for yourself is to have some battery in your system.
That is exactly why I didn't go that way and rolled my own. I know someone who did and he ask me what can he do. "call you installer"

Ever worked in a Data Center?

Not worked in one, but been to them. The point is they already stated there will be less than 100 people total employed at the facility. What part of that don't you understand? It does nothing for the local community (related to jobs), especially when most of those employees will be coming from urban areas. The only thing it will do for the local community is use resources that are already scarce. No different than the big rock quarries that came in and promised everything and delivered nothing (except pothole filled roads and broken windshields).

Not worked in one, but been to them. The point is they already stated there will be less than 100 people total employed at the facility. What part of that don't you understand? It does nothing for the local community (related to jobs), especially when most of those employees will be coming from urban areas. The only thing it will do for the local community is use resources that are already scarce. No different than the big rock quarries that came in and promised everything and delivered nothing (except pothole filled roads and broken windshields).
100 people bring a sack lunch and completely disappear 50+ miles away from the local town after the shift? Seems kinda stealth.

"Though it takes several hundred workers to build a data center from the ground up, thus providing construction jobs for a period of time, only about 50 employees are posted in a typical data center."

100 people bring a sack lunch and completely disappear 50+ miles away from the local town after the shift? Seems kinda stealth.

What is your point? But yes, people that live out here work in San Antonio and commute the 30 miles or so (one way). No reason people won't commute the other way (and be going opposite of rush hour traffic).

I'm still waiting for someone to explain just what these centers do for the local community (long term).

Bringing this thread back on track.

Here are my observations after being totally off grid and dependent on solar + battery for 3 days in Houston.

1. LED lights start constantly flickering when AC is running.
2. When coffee maker is on, lights flicker.
3. Transfer time from grid to battery was almost instant, I didn’t even notice when the power went out.

@Markus_EG4 @EG4_Jared

Last edited:

Here are my observations after being totally off grid and dependent on solar + battery for 3 days in Houston.

3. Transfer time from grid to battery was almost instant, I didn’t even notice when the power went out.
Which inverter is this?

The only thing it will do for the local community is use resources that are already scarce. No different than the big rock quarries that came in and promised everything and delivered nothing (except pothole filled roads and broken windshields).
Other than electricity, I can't see a data center as a large user of scarce resources. In return, then should be paying a lot in property taxes.

@Markus_EG4 @EG4_Jared
Is your grid still down?

What is your point? But yes, people that live out here work in San Antonio and commute the 30 miles or so (one way). No reason people won't commute the other way (and be going opposite of rush hour traffic).

I'm still waiting for someone to explain just what these centers do for the local community (long term).
So it is ok for the small town people to drive into the city for more pay and spend it near home. But if the city person comes to your town and does same they are an evil menace using up local resources?

Last edited:
If your only getting 3800 watts out of it then there is something wrong with it.
A CCK-5 is exactly the same as the 4 or 3 just a slightly different generator head and some tuning.

the MCCk-6 is the same rolling assembly as the CCK-B tractor, just water cooled ( higher compression heads as well ).
Above 5000 watts cooling becomes an issue in the air cooled units.

Also never let a cop touch a generator ( or care for it unsupervised in any way ), just saying you will be sorry

If you look close there are two different heads on the CCK.
Most use the 5:1 head so it will burn 80 octane and its tuned to the generator its bolted too.
This is to prevent you from over loading it.

if you put the CCK-B head on an LK you turn a 2500 watt unit into a 3000 watt unit but its hell on the generator to pull that much extra power.
Not a factory authorize modification...
( LK is one half of a CCK )

For proper operation on LPG the timing needs to be adjusted and the governor tuned.
The set needs a competent technician to set it up.
People monkey with the vacuum booster because they don't understand it.
A properly tuned CCK will pull 4000 watts on propane.
Its factory spec as a true tri fuel engine

Kohlers are not. ( higher compression more general purpose engine the K series )
They require de-rating.
The 4000 watt Kohlers I posted video of are 34 cubic inch singles at 1800 rpm.
The CCK-4 is 50 cubic inches at 1800 rpm ( thats a lot of reserve power they are de-tuned a little for this application to make them reliable and still have reserve power for heavy lloads like AC units or motor loads )
They were on propane and probably never set up right. I was a radio technician doing quarterly inspections which for my part was check the oil and do a test run. I just remember that they were rugged and reliable.

Well, that storm in Texas was so bad it knocked out our power last night!

Not really, but we did lose the grid about 10:15 last night, due to a brief passing storm, so we were really "off grid". Checked the outage map and it was our small community who had the outage. We live in about a ten mile long valley and it was out from end to end. We lost Internet/phone for a few minutes, but it came back on for a few minutes, but it went back out soon..My guess is a tree fell at the lower end of the valley on a power line.

Since we've been running all the 120V stuff on battery/solar for about 3 months now, I didn't even notice something was up until I looked outside and the pole lights were out. It was really DARK out there.

Our first real grid down situation, kinda exciting. Ironically I was watching YouTube vids on chasing tornadoes..

The grid came back up around 4am, so we lost it for about 6 hours. Was woke up by the smoke alarm chirping because it's still on the grid, but was considering adding that circuit to the sub panel.

Nice to know that when the situation arose, we were prepared.

Back