diy solar

diy solar

Material as insulator between 280ah EVE cells

Many of us have received cells that are not flat. And cells breathe when being charged and discharged. I am not positive the expansion and contraction of the cells would cause the PVC the cells are wrapped in to wear over time. An insulator that covers the whole side of the cell is the best solution IMO, and is a good precautionary measure to take, especially if using the cells in a mobile environment due to vibration concerns.

I thought about using VHB tape before I ordered my cells and decided it's a bad idea. As you noted it's permanent and it would be very difficult to replace a bad cell if needed, although a cell failure is rare.

I have some 1/32" delrin sheets im going to use. Will be mobile and in my trailer.

But my box is going to be aluminum and the compression plates are also

Last edited:
It will work. You could use almost any non-conductive material that doesn't
Compress. After 25 years working with laminate I have plenty left over from jobs.
You could also use 1/32" plexiglass from home Depot.
Using thin plexiglass. It actually works fairly well and is thin enough it isn't interfering with the stock busbars at all.

Hey everyone, I'm expecting to get my cells in a week or 2. The battery will be going into an RV. I've read that the insulation on the cells are very thin and worried about it rubbing off and making contact with each other over the years. What do you all think about using a super thin silicon sheet between the cells? I'm eyeing this one as it's only 1/25" thick: https://www.amazon.com/Translucent-High-Silicone-Rubber-Sheet/dp/B06XHCHTS8

Or do you think 1/16" rubber would be better?

I was going to use plastic, but I'm worried about micro movements while bouncing down the highways.

Thanks for you time and input. :)

Flexible cutting board is what I went with. I left it a little tall to double as a way to secure the balance leads

Attachments

• 20210309_103726.jpg
    20210309_103726.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 49
I’m not sure if it’s needed or not, but… Why not err on the safe side?

I am going to use .02 (1/2 mm) polypropylene sheet.

I am quite familiar with polypropylene, it is tough as nails and abrasion free. And you can bend it and bend it and bend it, and it will not break. You can cut it, and Weld it to other pieces of polypropylene.

They make PortaBotes out of it. A notched piece is the hinge that runs all the way along the chines of the boat. They make those big giant refillable insulated cups out of it…you know, the ones they sell at the gas station/minimart?

One time, just for giggles, I took a 1/4 piece of it, about 4 x 4”, and notched a V down the middle with a router. For the next
year or so, whenever I was watching TV, I would sit and flex this piece at the notch, continuously, for an hour or two at a time. It would not break, in fact it didn’t even show any signs of wear.

Back