diy solar

diy solar

Midnite Solar Announced their new 10kw AIO at Intersolar Today

I wonder if the midnight unit will be capable of running as an off-grid inverter, with grid interactivity as an option if a person chose not to do any export at all

The SA15k $6.8k. IMO, that's not much of a reach from ~$5.5k and in my situation, that extra $1.3 buys 200amp passthrough and proven performance. In my situation, I 'might' be able to get away with 1 15k but it would take 2 MNS to get 200amp passthrough, but yeah, MidNite has a reputation for top notch products and service.
Sounds like you should buy a "15k"

Are you trying to convince us or convince yourself?

Rosie $3.3k ac coupled to growatt 11.4kw for $1.5k, 18.4kw daytime inverting capacity, 7kw nighttime, and I suspect that Rosie can pull power from grid and supplement with battery to get above the 7kw total capacity

just exploring different configurations/alternatives
Add a Chargeverter to help charge batteries off the GW.

Interesting idea.

I'd be in for a second sol-ark at $6k. It might not be the unlikely actually with the recent solar slowdown.

The SA15k $6.8k. IMO, that's not much of a reach from ~$5.5k and in my situation, that extra $1.3 buys 200amp passthrough and proven performance. In my situation, I 'might' be able to get away with 1 15k but it would take 2 MNS to get 200amp passthrough, but yeah, MidNite has a reputation for top notch products and service.
I’m selling a 15K, New in box for $5800 +~$250 shipping.

Sorry I really don't know what you mean by AC coupling. Is the Growatt 11.4K a grid tie inverter? I don't know what you're getting at, but like my title says, I'm a noob. Are you saying the MN would be connected to the grid, and the Growatt to the MN, or vice versa?

My point is by itself this new AIO is from MNS, not known for being cheap. So with all the features this thing has, not just the inverter and MPPT's, I just don't think it'll be under $5K.
the growatt is a grid tie inverter that can couple to a hybrid inverter. just looking at ways that one could use a rosie and have similar capabilities at the mnaio at a similar price point.

Sounds like you should buy a "15k"

Are you trying to convince us or convince yourself?
Possibly both, maybe neither. A couple of the new nhx hybrids from Watts might fill the bill for the price of one MidNite or Solark, as would a pair of the also new to be released stackable SRNE that 420 has praised.

IMO, the diy solar arena is coming alive and we have choices and options at prices that are as good as ever, and personally, I think having a problem picking from several offerings is a great problem to have.

You just have much higher idle consumption, lower efficiency and less features
What "features" does one need if off grid?

You gain more MPPT's, that can easily cover higher idle consumption. The advantage is redundancy, you have spares to keep going.

You are thinking along the lines grid backup and grid assist. None of those things apply with total off grid. You need high output to cover those surge loads, plenty of charging capability and backup power with multiple units.

I'm curious about this and not sure I understand. What's the chargeverter for?
Chargeverter to use excess AC power to help charge the batteries. You wanted AC coupled with batteries. Rosie for power when the sun doesn't shine. Rosie DC charger can do 120A, but with large battery banks you will want more charging capacity. At 120A charging, that isn't quite 7Kw. If PV is 11K, you can capture the other 4Kw if load is low.

Chargeverter to use excess AC power to help charge the batteries. You wanted AC coupled with batteries. Rosie for power when the sun doesn't shine. Rosie DC charger can do 120A, but with large battery banks you will want more charging capacity. At 120A charging, that isn't quite 7Kw. If PV is 11K, you can capture the other 4Kw if load is low.
Oh, I see what you mean now. 120a charging is quite low. I'm surprised at that.

Reactions: Zwy
What "features" does one need if off grid?

You gain more MPPT's, that can easily cover higher idle consumption. The advantage is redundancy, you have spares to keep going.

You are thinking along the lines grid backup and grid assist. None of those things apply with total off grid. You need high output to cover those surge loads, plenty of charging capability and backup power with multiple units.
Off grid features, probably not much, the only ones that come to mind quickly are programmability for dump loads being native, or accepting AC Coupled inverters easily. Or can the 6000XP accept AC Coupling?

More MPPTs and more panels is only great if you have the space for more panels. Which most people do not. Like me, I am maxed out on space without laying them out in my front lawn. I'd much rather take the 60w of idle consumption from my 15k, rather than 200+w from 4x 6000XP on a rainy/cloudy/snow day.

Redundancy is important. Which is why I do plan on installing a backup system that will always be ready, but not running constantly.

Remember that the 15K is actually 12KW except for during the day.
Not entirely.
Yes with the SolArk at 275a rating, you can technically get the full 12kw (rated) output down to like 44v. And if battery voltage is at a more modest 52v, then it's capable of 14.3kw.
This is why I would like to start referring to the inverters by their Current capabilities.

210a for MN AIO
250a for EG4 18kPV
275a for SolArk 15k

If totally off grid, might be a better choice to use something like 4 stacked EG4 6000XP
Not totally off grid, I just do not want anything related to Export, I do not have an interconnect with the PoCo. I want to store all my energy on site ... BUT ... I want to have grid interactive and pass thru features such as being able to switch back to grid automatically when the battery drops below a set SOC, or the ability to load support with grid (features like the Schneider XW Pro).

Back