diy solar

diy solar

Min dc breaker size for 10ga wire and max length of run from solar array to EcoFlow DP

hamm55

Long story short.....
Based on solar input specs for the Ecoflow Delta Pro ( max solar input - 1600w, 150v, 15a) I should be able to run 10ga wire out to a max of 150ft for my solar array per the Renogy solar cable gauge calculator snapshot below. Can I trust the calculator?

For the breaker sizing my understanding is that you want to size as close to the max amp draw or slightly above so a 15a breaker would be the one to chose? I understand AC systems wire/breaker sizing very well and I assume it is the same for DC systems?

1663264892315.png

Last edited:
Based on solar input specs for the Ecoflow Delta Pro ( max solar input - 1600w, 150v, 15a) I should be able to run 10ga wire out to a max of 150ft for my solar array per the Renogy solar cable gauge calculator snapshot below. Can I trust the calculator?

For the breaker sizing my understanding is that you want to size as close to the max amp draw or slightly above so a 15a breaker would be the one to chose? I understand AC systems wire/breaker sizing very well and I assume it is the same for DC systems?

View attachment 112016

For PV rated wire, you really only have 2 choices. 10 gauge and harder to find 8 gauge since the MC-4 connectors are only so large.
Anything else is very difficult to find (rated for PV applications) and will normally require special ordering and special crimp tools and connectors to use. Do not use wire that is not PV rated, any length of time and you will quickly find out that the UV resistance and other specs for PV rated wires are there for a reason. I'm not sure why they use XT60 connectors, industry standard is MC-4 connectors for solar panels, anything else is just dumb in my opinion. Avoid the common 12 gauge wires, "saves money" (and commonly copper clad aluminum). They aren't worth the savings.

FYI, Temco is a very reliable and high quality source. I highly recommend them for both wires and crimping tools. You get what you pay for.

Last edited:
So a follow-up question. I have a similar setup where my PV panels are ~150 feet from my charge controller, inverter and battery. I have about 100 feet of 8 gauge PV wire (in anticipation of adding 2 more strings at some point) and I also have about 50 feet of extra 10 gauge sitting around. Do any of you foresee a problem adding the 10g onto the 8g wires?

Back