diy solar

diy solar

Mobile cart build

Here's the powered solution...
Top of the dump bucket gets some unistrut welded to it for the array, aio sits inside along with additional batteries and, of course, the included batteries are upgraded.

I used free dumpster 2 x 220w 52voc panels in parallel and works great. I've really enjoyed using this mpp2748 and homebuilt lifepo4. If it hadn't worked out so well I probably would not be designing, and slowly acquiring bargains for a larger build.
I recently brought my cart to show a guy that was interested in a small system for his man-cave shed and showed him it can start and run a full sized corded skillsaw (8" wormdrive) he was pretty impressed but then asked what 'that special battery cost' and then was less excited ...but I was thinking fast that day, I said hey you got a couple of car batteries on the floor there, bring them to the bench and let me show you what you can do with batteries you already have on hand. We rigged up the two batteries to make 24 volt with some jumper cables, and took my DIY LFP out of the system, his 12v LAcid ran the MPP 2724 perfect and he happily cut some lumber scraps with the wormdrive just laughing while it was cutting away.

I think some of the low cost inverters are a great way to get people to try some solar without committing a small fortune and once they see what it can do at a price they can accept for a try/play with, they get pretty keen on doing bigger stuff one day, even if they can't afford that early on. That same guy asked me recently if he could run a full garage (if he builds a garage) and what it would cost etc. I suggested he join the forum and start the learning process.

Just a quick "rendering" but you get the idea. Okay, so two of the 18kpv might be overkill, but I had to try to hide the golf bags in the photo or it just wouldn't have looked right. Actually, I've got a golf cart I have on my todo list to switch over to LFP ... hmmm ...

1697506845246.png

I recently brought my cart to show a guy that was interested in a small system for his man-cave shed and showed him it can start and run a full sized corded skillsaw (8" wormdrive) he was pretty impressed but then asked what 'that special battery cost' and then was less excited ...but I was thinking fast that day, I said hey you got a couple of car batteries on the floor there, bring them to the bench and let me show you what you can do with batteries you already have on hand. We rigged up the two batteries to make 24 volt with some jumper cables, and took my DIY LFP out of the system, his 12v LAcid ran the MPP 2724 perfect and he happily cut some lumber scraps with the wormdrive just laughing while it was cutting away.

I think some of the low cost inverters are a great way to get people to try some solar without committing a small fortune and once they see what it can do at a price they can accept for a try/play with, they get pretty keen on doing bigger stuff one day, even if they can't afford that early on. That same guy asked me recently if he could run a full garage (if he builds a garage) and what it would cost etc. I suggested he join the forum and start the learning process.
I've run a bunch of stuff out of my van with extension cords and the hand truck last year. Now that I've been doing less of that, it is relegated to the shed 24/7, keeping the home network equipment running and plenty of drinks cold in the mini fridge with plenty of power available on standbye for computer and other things.
Lead acid has lots of power, just horrible cycle life rated in kwh, and a less than desirable voltage curve compared to lifepo4.

My original solar setup was 15 years ago with a couple of lead acid golf cart batteries, 600w inverter and 200w solar and that worked great on a small travel trailer. But by the time I was done with the trailer and removed it, the "Deep" cycle batteries were shot......

Here's the powered solution...
Top of the dump bucket gets some unistrut welded to it for the array, aio sits inside along with additional batteries and, of course, the included batteries are upgraded.
self propelled articulated, riding, forklift-solar generator on pallet, with fold-up hydraulic PV array ...and self contained beer cooler...
you guys are going to make me spend more money...I can feel it coming...

That's all in the design.
It will replace my work truck. And be an extension of my home system.
I have this idea that I will follow along with your build while I learn, and do my own!
It just seems way cool that a big battery could be a truck and an ESS at the same time, actually I may build the trailer idea first, the Truck will take a lot of work and a lot of batteries...one day soon there will be used EV-trucks on the market...

I'm watching the market. There are real conversion kits coming, soon.
As in direct replacement axles, with motor, inverter, and controllers. Just add battery and charger.
There should be many options available, by the time I finish the home system.

I'm watching the market. There are real conversion kits coming, soon.
As in direct replacement axles, with motor, inverter, and controllers. Just add battery and charger.
There should be many options available, by the time I finish the home system.
I put more miles on my Mule anymore than I do my truck. Well, maybe not quite, but I really don't put many miles on the truck now that I'm "retired". This year it's something around 3000 miles. So I'm still looking for a good option for an electric side by side. The limited market is either junk or really expensive, or both. I keep coming back to converting the golf cart to 4WD and electric, but that's not really going to be the same thing. I work the hell out of the Mule and I can't see a golf cart frame and suspension handling it. The good news is - we'll keep kicking around ideas and no telling what we come up with!

I put more miles on my Mule anymore than I do my truck. Well, maybe not quite, but I really don't put many miles on the truck now that I'm "retired". This year it's something around 3000 miles. So I'm still looking for a good option for an electric side by side. The limited market is either junk or really expensive, or both. I keep coming back to converting the golf cart to 4WD and electric, but that's not really going to be the same thing. I work the hell out of the Mule and I can't see a golf cart frame and suspension handling it. The good news is - we'll keep kicking around ideas and no telling what we come up with!
Polaris has an EV ranger finally coming out.
Outside of that it’s a bunch of start ups it seems that have trouble making it to market.

I have this idea that I will follow along with your build while I learn, and do my own!
It just seems way cool that a big battery could be a truck and an ESS at the same time, actually I may build the trailer idea first, the Truck will take a lot of work and a lot of batteries...one day soon there will be used EV-trucks on the market...
I hope to have my trailer done by Christmas. We shall see

It comes with some cash in the glove box and passenger seat does reach arounds

For that price it does right?

Right???
It definitely should! I seem to recall Polaris came out with a version of this two or three years ago then canned it because they had so many problems. You're right about the startups, including one or two here in Texas. I'm just afraid if you buy one of those they will be out of business the first time you need parts for it. You wouldn't think it would be that difficult to adapt EV technology to this platform. I'm guessing the demand is too low to get the production high enough to make it practical, but maybe it's something else altogether.

I'm guessing the demand is too low to get the production high enough to make it practical, but maybe it's something else altogether.
Cost of the batteries?
I often come back to the idea of a removable battery pack,
could be used in a trailer like we already discussed,
could go in the bed of an F150 Lightning to provide additional range to the lake and back,
could go in a small farm tractor for doing stuff around the homestead,
could plug into the ESS to add more storage when needed.
Something modular, multifunctional - then you buy a new item - a Mule, say (thanks ETC) and you Don't have to pay for a big battery for the mule, no, it is set up to accept the standard modular battery pack. Like some of the cordless tools, you can buy just the tool and use batteries you already own with a charger you already own. A Mule then only costs the price of the frame motor and controller not the expensive battery.
Best of all, that modular battery instead of sitting parked most of the time only in a mule, is now working in the tractor, then moved to the trailer, then moved to the truck bed, then moved to run a house boat on the lake for the long weekend.
If a big firm got this rollling, and was first out of the gate with a quality modular battery set up, that only fits there list of toys...wow.
should I buy this model or that model new toy, oh this one uses the same modular battery I already own two of? and is half the cost of the competitor's toy (since the price doesn't need to include a huge battery) yeah, they could really corner the market if they got their $h!#T together.
{Dreaming of ideas seems to be what I do best, actually building those ideas, not so much... :ROFLMAO: } got more ideas than time!

Cost of the batteries?
I often come back to the idea of a removable battery pack,
could be used in a trailer like we already discussed,
could go in the bed of an F150 Lightning to provide additional range to the lake and back,
could go in a small farm tractor for doing stuff around the homestead,
could plug into the ESS to add more storage when needed.
Something modular, multifunctional - then you buy a new item - a Mule, say (thanks ETC) and you Don't have to pay for a big battery for the mule, no, it is set up to accept the standard modular battery pack. Like some of the cordless tools, you can buy just the tool and use batteries you already own with a charger you already own. A Mule then only costs the price of the frame motor and controller not the expensive battery.
Best of all, that modular battery instead of sitting parked most of the time only in a mule, is now working in the tractor, then moved to the trailer, then moved to the truck bed, then moved to run a house boat on the lake for the long weekend.
If a big firm got this rollling, and was first out of the gate with a quality modular battery set up, that only fits there list of toys...wow.
should I buy this model or that model new toy, oh this one uses the same modular battery I already own two of? and is half the cost of the competitor's toy (since the price doesn't need to include a huge battery) yeah, they could really corner the market if they got their $h!#T together.
{Dreaming of ideas seems to be what I do best, actually building those ideas, not so much... :ROFLMAO: } got more ideas than time!
There's no doubt in my mind that would be a success. And I fully expect we'll see something just as you describe within the next few years.

Back