diy solar

diy solar

Modifying FoxESS 4100 LiFePo4 battery modules.

Noxx

Background.

A year ago I ordered a FoxESS H3 hybrid inverter and couple of batteries, CM4100 and CS4100. These batteries are part of what FoxESS call “EnergyCube” (High Voltage). CM4100 is the master battery and there is a possibility to add a number of CS4100 slave batteries.
In their marketing material Fox claims that the system is modular and expandable in the future. This is not entirely true. They have discontinued the CM4100 V1 (Version 1) and replaced it with version 2. The V1 is not compatible with CS4100 V2. This means I would have to buy a new CM4100 V2 and “throw the V1 module in the bin”, a quite expensive solution to their inability to handle future compatibilty.

Given this situation my plan is to rebuild the two modules I have by removing the BMS and main controller board and instead use a JK-BMS. These modules are 60V (18S). Ideally I would like to have a 48V system since there are more and cheaper equipment available for this voltage, however, the busbars are welded. Easiest way forward probably is to leave the batteries as they are installed and just add the BMS. My idea is to connect the battery modules in parallel.

Got some questions to the forum:

1) I have read a lot of threads about connecting battery modules in parallel, but not sure what to make of it. Do I need a balancer between modules?

2) Can I use one “smart shunt” for both batteries of should I install one shunt for each battery module? Most smart shunts seem to have Bluetooth interface and an app. I’d like to avoid too many BT devices to keep track of. Are there any shunts that can be accessed via other means than BT and apps in the phone?

3) Any ideas on pros and cons with a 60V system vs 48V system?

4) The main use for this battery solution is as backup power for some critical functions in my house, such as water pump and heat circulation pumps (230V AC single phase). I’m not planning on connecting a solar inverter, just a battery charger and an inverter. Please let me know what equipment you recommend for this application.

Grateful for any input.

Back