diy solar

diy solar

most durable inverters

doodles

I am looking for an inverter/charger to be used in a battery backup situation where I don't have solar. Any thoughts out there on the most durable inverters, best customer support in the 6-10KW output range. Thanks.

sorry, I'm in the US, but thanks for the reply. I'm bewildered by the range of prices for that size inverter, but quality, durability and excellent customer support are worth paying for.

Victron/ Sol-Ark/ Schneider/ Outback are a few in US with good reputation for reliability and customer service.
I've been using Sol-Ark 12k which is a 9kW inverter and have had no issues with it. I have talked to their engineers a few time to get help with correct configurations and they have always been very easy to reach to..

Thanks. Anyone with thoughts on some of the less expensive brands like MPP, Growatt, Sungold etc...

I am using an Aims 6000w 120/240 inverter/charger. It isn't 'Smart' but is stone cold reliable. ATS works great and no issues in the 2 years I have owned. I have 1500watts solar and if I get a few days of clouds and batteries get drained, it does a great job of 'refilling' off the grid and then flipping back to battery when 'full'.

Thanks. Good to see the "stone cold reliable". Anyone else have experience with AIMS?

Thanks. Good to see the "stone cold reliable". Anyone else have experience with AIMS?
I have 2 x 12,000w AIMs and they work. However, one of them reached 25,000hrs (~5yrs) and the control board started allowing erratic voltage. AIMS support refused to help. Repaired the control board thru a general repair shop (new capacitors mostly) and it works again - on to the next 5 yrs?

MPP Solar - There's a believable 8-9yr life span on youtube channel I follow and my own (in a camper) is 3yrs and counting.

Recent SGP 12,000w inverter (to replace AIMS above while being repaired) is 9mos and working great but it's only been 9 mons.

So, I can recommend AIMS, MPP Solar, and SGP as 'solid' performers but with a 5yr, 3yr, and 9mos qualifier. The trouble answering these kind of questions in a definitive way for me is the lack of price / hours of operation hard-data. :)

Last edited:
SMA Sunny Island. 5750W continuous, 120V.
Not cheap MSRP/street price ($5750/$4750), but there are used and new liquidation deals to be had, $1200 to $3000, eBay and elsewhere.

I can recommend you leave Growatt out of your choices . They give zero back up .
If you try to contact them they just do not reply , dreadful after sales service .

The mpp6548 is a solid unit and you can buy 2 for the cost of one aims so you would have a backup plus the ability to do solar if you ever wanted to just add panels

sorry, I'm in the US, but thanks for the reply. I'm bewildered by the range of prices for that size inverter, but quality, durability and excellent customer support are worth paying for.
Thanks. Anyone with thoughts on some of the less expensive brands like MPP, Growatt, Sungold etc...
Seems like your target is moving…

I am looking for an inverter/charger to be used in a battery backup situation where I don't have solar. Any thoughts out there on the most durable inverters, best customer support in the 6-10KW output range. Thanks.
No solar? Perhaps an Inverter generator?

As for longevity of inverters, I have SMA sunny boys running since 2008.

This is yet another area where You GET what you pay for. Reliable & Inexpensive don't usually equate.
Also:
-> What size (wattage) do you need/want to support,
-> do you need 240VAC or just 120VAC,
-> how many hours of "backup" do you "need" and would like to have ?
-> Do you want to charge batteries from Grid AC Power only, or possibly a Generator as well ?

* Appreciate that a 3000W Inverter can only provide 120V/25A Max (uncorrected)
* An inverter should NOT pull more than 250A ax from a Battery Bank to service loads. (excluding paralleled inverters)
12V*250A=3000W, 24V*250A=6000W, 48V*250A=12000W (uncorrected for losses).

Last edited:
Back