diy solar

diy solar

Mounting Material

KBWaldron

Solar Enthusiast
Most of the manuals mention not mounting on flammable materials, which tends to rule wood out. Metal seems obviously a non-starter. So what are people mounting their mppt, breakers, inverters, etc. to?

Everyone uses wood from what I've seen here. Something more fire retardant seems like it would be a good idea. I wonder if this pipe wrap work on a wall?

Screenshot_20191202-111654_Amazon Shopping.jpg

My solar controller, E-Panel, inverter and all related stuff is attached to 3/4" Plywood which is screwed through the 1/2" plywood covered walls into the studs. I sealed & painted I first though with a Semi-Gloss white paint for easy cleanup etc,.
If some demands you have a fireproof backing board, I suggest Magnesium Oxide Board or Mag-O, best fireboard available for 1/2 the price of the other stuff. Waterproof, bug proof, fire proof, terrific backer for Ceramic Tile and more.... Heavy and patience required to cut but it can't be beat.

Various companies make it and it's available in most places easily enough.

It bothers me to mount to plywood also, but it is so easy to work with. Does anyone know of a very good fire resistant paint? It would be better than nothing.

They make fire treated plywood, we have to use it when we place fiber in a commercial building for mounting the terminal box. You will have to look around for it not everyone has it.

Use a layer of cheap drywall over your plywood.
Cuts with a razor blade scoring and snap.
Dry wall is messy, cut edges with all that dust, needs to be taped, I'd use it if I was afraid my system was going to go up in flames. Or maybe I should just stay connected to Pg&E?

Dry wall is messy, cut edges with all that dust, needs to be taped, I'd use it if I was afraid my system was going to go up in flames. Or maybe I should just stay connected to Pg&E?
Oh wait, don't they set everything on fire?

Try 3x5 1/4" plywood with a 3x5 cement (hardiboard) board on top screwed into the studs over the original painted drywall. Strong and fire resistant.

I wasn't all that concerned about what it was mounted to. It's only a couple feet below my ceiling joists, which is where the flames would go.

Back