diy solar

diy solar

Mouse Chewed Inverter Data Wiring MPP Solar LV6548

Dmoranda

Hey guys. Well I made a dumb mistake leaving the front panel of my MPP Solar Inverter open. I mouse got in and squeezed into the main compartment. He did some serious damage to my data cables. (See photos) I'm in the process of trying to get a new set of cables direct from the manufacturer, although the correspondence has stopped.

Does anyone know where I can buy these ribbon cables with appropriate connectors? I chatted with Ian at Watts247 and he mentioned to search for IDH header, but I can't seem to find anything relevant.

I'd appreciate any direction on this. Thanks and don't make the mistake I did. Always seal up your equipment!

This is what I sent to MPP Solar Support for cable replacements needed: (Total of 6 cables chewed)
  1. (CN1) 8 Pin cable from (CAN POWER) to main board (HFPW) (CN6)
  2. (CN1) 2 pin AC start cable from main board (HFPW) to (COMM)
  3. (CN6) 6 pin cable from vertical circuit board to (COMM)
  4. (CN5) 3 pin (2 wire cable) from MPPT to SPS (CN3)
  5. (CN14) 2 pin cable from (HFPW) to another connector on main board (HFPW) under a large aluminum heat sink
  6. (CN12?) 2 pin cable that runs from HFPW to a connector under large aluminum heat sink on main board (HFPW)

Attachments

• image5.jpeg
    image5.jpeg
    690 KB · Views: 115
  • image4.jpeg
    image4.jpeg
    761 KB · Views: 114
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    771.1 KB · Views: 110
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    777.7 KB · Views: 107
  • image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    669.6 KB · Views: 109
Most if not all of them look reparable. If they're not chewed all the way through you can separate the wires from each other and tape up with a good quality electrical tape or use some shrink tape. If to much of the wire is chewed through but you have good sections of wire at both ends then you can removed the damaged section and splice in a good section of wire.

Some are chewed all the way through.

Any idea was size wiring these are? What would be the best option to splice the individual wires? Butt splice connectors?

Thanks

Some are chewed all the way through.

Any idea was size wiring these are? What would be the best option to splice the individual wires? Butt splice connectors?

Thanks

I can't tell what size wire they are but going a little larger wouldn't hurt anything. As far as how I would repair them. I would remove each damaged wire and connector from the inverter and solder them back together on a bench with some shrink tubing slipped on each wire before soldering.
That's how I would do it but someone else might disagree.

Ok I’m on it. Ordering a few things to get this done and will report back.

Yeah I wish I could have a cat. It’s an off grid property way out in the sticks. Not sure that kitty would make it….

Around here we have packrats that will chew through any exposed wires. I've seen many cars disabled due to packrats!

I had a gas pool heater at a previous house that I never really used, but decided to test it out one day and it didn't work, so I tore it open to find it filled with dry twigs, grass, cactus parts, pretty much everything you would use for kindling to start a fire. Luckily the packrats had chewed through the ignition wires or else it could have been a really fun time!

Fortunately the rattlesnakes like eating packrats, so if you wait long enough you just have a rattlesnake infestation.

Got this all repaired. Thanks for the boost in doing it myself. Ordered some heat shrink and those splice solder connectors. Going to connect it and fire it up tomorrow. Will update with results. Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_3632.jpeg
    IMG_3632.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 30
  • 72067379111__C96B19A9-8D21-41C1-8F61-B9A080DAF6C0.jpeg
    72067379111__C96B19A9-8D21-41C1-8F61-B9A080DAF6C0.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_3635.jpeg
    IMG_3635.jpeg
    923 KB · Views: 27
  • 72067265582__8B1A048D-1A7F-4157-B75D-2A56F00E87C4.jpeg
    72067265582__8B1A048D-1A7F-4157-B75D-2A56F00E87C4.jpeg
    793.7 KB · Views: 25
Don’t forget these two PV wires. That little s**t gnawed on the black and red wires, better look into every nook and cranny. A dab of Shoe Goop to make the insulation good again. I had a boat that got a hungry mouse on board and went for the main helm harness. Wiped it down with acetone and put a bead of goop on each wound and it was good as new.

Don’t forget these two PV wires. That little s**t gnawed on the black and red wires, better look into every nook and cranny. A dab of Shoe Goop to make the insulation good again. I had a boat that got a hungry mouse on board and went for the main helm harness. Wiped it down with acetone and put a bead of goop on each wound and it was good as new.
Thanks for the heads up on those PV wires. I wrapped them up tight with electrical wire. Good tip on shoe goo, I have some of that. Went down to the cabin and hooked up the unit and it still faults. Seemingly less though. It’s giving me a fan fault so I need to explore the fan wires specifically. Will report back. Put out some tomcat poison under tight spaces and in stud bays. Death to Mickey.

Thanks for the heads up on those PV wires. I wrapped them up tight with electrical wire. Good tip on shoe goo, I have some of that. Went down to the cabin and hooked up the unit and it still faults. Seemingly less though. It’s giving me a fan fault so I need to explore the fan wires specifically. Will report back. Put out some tomcat poison under tight spaces and in stud bays. Death to Mickey.

The problem with the poison is that it takes forever to kill them and so they still gnaw and then go off and die in hidden spaces.

The problem with the poison is that it takes forever to kill them and so they still gnaw and then go off and die in hidden spaces.

Had a large mama rat have babies in my attic. I trapped all her progeny but she was to wary to fall for any traps so I had to poison her. She died under the air handler in the attic and I couldn't get at where her corpse lay so it stunk up the bedroom that was just below her. Fortunately it was a spare room but she made her presence known all winter and in the dead of summer I guess she finally dried up and blew away because her stench left the building.

Back