diy solar

diy solar

[Moved] Difference of perspective on Growatt/MPP All-in-One idle power consumption

LF and HF have taken on different meanings than their original definition. If an inverter has a big heavy transformer in it with true surge capability, it's regarded as "LF". If the unit uses multiple smaller and lightweight transformers with negligible surge, it's HF. These are effectively marketing terms these days, but since it's been that way for longer than most of use have been using these systems, I think it's safe to avoid being excessively pedantic.

When you purchase cheap Chinese inverters, you get high idle consumption in most cases - certainly true of the MPP Solar, Growatt (Voltronix) brands. A handful of them are regarded as LF as they have big transformers and legit surge capability, but they still have very high idle consumption. Sigineer makes several "AIMS"-like (and I'm pretty sure they make AIMS) LF inverters that have wicked surge, but they also have very high idle consumption.

If you want low idle consumption you:
1) Purchase an inverter specifically designed for low idle consumption. These exist in both HF and LF versions.
2) Purchase a "Tier 1" inverter - Victron, Magnum, Outback, Trace, Xantrax, Schneider, etc. - MOST of these are LF.

If you want high idle consumption you:
1) Buy cheap Chinese inverters.

Reactions: Dzl
my Voltronics 8000 MAX's use:
- 53W with inverter on - no loads
- 37W inverter off, just MPPT

LF and HF have taken on different meanings than their original definition. If an inverter has a big heavy transformer in it with true surge capability, it's regarded as "LF". If the unit uses multiple smaller and lightweight transformers with negligible surge, it's HF. These are effectively marketing terms these days, but since it's been that way for longer than most of use have been using these systems, I think it's safe to avoid being excessively pedantic.

When you purchase cheap Chinese inverters, you get high idle consumption in most cases - certainly true of the MPP Solar, Growatt (Voltronix) brands. A handful of them are regarded as LF as they have big transformers and legit surge capability, but they still have very high idle consumption. Sigineer makes several "AIMS"-like (and I'm pretty sure they make AIMS) LF inverters that have wicked surge, but they also have very high idle consumption.

If you want low idle consumption you:
1) Purchase an inverter specifically designed for low idle consumption. These exist in both HF and LF versions.
2) Purchase a "Tier 1" inverter - Victron, Magnum, Outback, Trace, Xantrax, Schneider, etc. - MOST of these are LF.

If you want high idle consumption you:
1) Buy cheap Chinese inverters.
Victron is HF, regardless of what definition you're trying to change. https://diysolarforum.com/threads/inverters-high-or-low-frequency.6300/post-102994

Back