diy solar

diy solar

Moving around large solar panels

Bolt on some pneumatic casters and a grab bar on back for pushing the panel around. If you really want to go whole hog you can add a small gas motor and chain drive to an axle wheel setup and have a powered drive unit. Toss in a frame for a seat and a steering axle and it becomes the ultimate mobile solar panel.
Bogie for each panel could pull it around the yard like a train.

Bogie for each panel could pull it around the yard like a train.
I can see it . A dedicated PV locomotive (tractor) that hauls a string of solar panels behind it. You could incorporate your SCC/inverter at the tractor and simply plug in the cars panels as each connects up for trailing. Maybe the caboose can be where you stick the batteries?

I can see it . A dedicated PV locomotive (tractor) that hauls a string of solar panels behind it. You could incorporate your SCC/inverter at the tractor and simply plug in the cars panels as each connects up for trailing. Maybe the caboose can be where you stick the batteries?
Yeah something small scale like the hobby guys ride around.

download (10).png

Actually, six or seven panels linked together with eyebolts. You only have to get a lever to pull the whole deal forward three or 4 inches and fold down the grass that grows up between them. Just inch them forward every month or so then back the other way when you run out of yard. Would only have to weed eat the sides

Last edited:
Yes. but then this happens...
20240516_200720-jpg.216154

Sorry @Brucey... couldn't resist ;)
Roundup…!

700 watt panel? Thought that was a mistake, but no. Is that thing bigger than others or are they stretching the truth like an Amazon flashlight lumen rating?
The 700 watt is bi- facial and is a beast. Easily makes it even though it's winter in my part of the world! Can't wait till summer as the manufacturers say it's capable of over 800 watts!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240519-104019~2.png
    Screenshot_20240519-104019~2.png
    102.3 KB · Views: 7
Maybe the caboose can be where you stick the batteries?
So... I learnt a new word today - just had to look up "caboose"!

I obviously wasn't paying enough attention to the TV series 'Casey Jones' when I was a kid. Though I must point out that the series aired in the UK about 15 years later than it did in the USA 🤣 👵

I can't find the link now but a company had designed an assembly where panels were pre mounted to an accordion like trellis (ground mount), and then a big forklift would be used to extend out each stacked string. Except the strings ended up being 9 meters by 54 meters. Productivity was crazy something like 8 workers deploying over a mw in 9 hours or something

I would mount each panel on a wood skid, and connect the skids with chain or cable. A riding lawnmower or golf cart can pull the train. Round the leading edge of the skids to prevent digging into the ground.

I pull lots of heavy stuff using my electric golf cart. Even pulled a 395 lb Generac 14KW home backup skid across the lawn to get it into location.

Attachments

• Generator Install.jpg
    Generator Install.jpg
    325.2 KB · Views: 6
So... I learnt a new word today - just had to look up "caboose"!

I obviously wasn't paying enough attention to the TV series 'Casey Jones' when I was a kid. Though I must point out that the series aired in the UK about 15 years later than it did in the USA 🤣 👵

diy solar

diy solar
Back