diy solar

diy solar

MPP-SOLAR LV6548

I have never been able to put a load more than the inverter(s) can do. It mentions peak load and burst times. So I'm pretty sure you cannot run the inverter over it's maximum and expect it to ask the grid to pass power through.

I have a 10kw limit now on my LV5048's, I have done a max load experiment and only came up with 9300-watt load. That is everything in my entire house on and still didn't max it out.

The electric clothes dryer, microwave, A/C, all the lights, TV, all the ceiling fans, refrigerator, and freezer. I have a gas range, so that's not an issue for me. 13kW from the LV6548 is a pretty big stretch to do. If you add in an EV car, that could do it in pretty easy though, if you had EVERYTHING turned on. I sized my system so that I could run the A/C and have plenty of headroom leftover for everything else. Running everything at once though is very a rare event.

I have never been able to put a load more than the inverter(s) can do. It mentions peak load and burst times. So I'm pretty sure you cannot run the inverter over it's maximum and expect it to ask the grid to pass power through.

I have a 10kw limit now on my LV5048's, I have done a max load experiment and only came up with 9300-watt load. That is everything in my entire house on and still didn't max it out.

The electric clothes dryer, microwave, A/C, all the lights, TV, all the ceiling fans, refrigerator, and freezer. I have a gas range, so that's not an issue for me. 13kW from the LV6548 is a pretty big stretch to do. If you add in an EV car, that could do it in pretty easy though, if you had EVERYTHING turned on. I sized my system so that I could run the A/C and have plenty of headroom leftover for everything else. Running everything at once though is very a rare event.
I was just wondering. I’ll go ahead and add up all my loads but I’m sure it’s less than 13kW.

The LV6548 is not a grid-tied UL1741 type of inverter, even though it shows it is right there on the feature set in bold and red.
??? I thought the "UL1741 compliance TV certified" mentioned at top of list for the LV6548 features meant one or more of these could be grid tied, ... or at least used to get through the legal permission hoop jump in California and the USA for permission to Feed the Grid power when the PV Solar panels are producing excess. IS that Not True? I understand one needs at least two LV6548 units to configure for usa type 240vac split phase. From owning and operating three MPP LV2424s configured for 240vac split phase, I bet these LV6548 All In One units could be internally configured to feed the grid, or Not feed grid (as in operate as an off grid battery grounded island, or as grid backed up island). Could one or two or more of these LV6548 All In Ones make the permission and permit hoop jump in the USA to feed 120vac or 240vac split phase electricity back into the grid ??? ... I would like to understand more about that part of MPP's line of options and features. Has anyone jumped the LV6548 through the legal permission and permit process to get a deduction on their electricity bill for excess PV Solar electricity being feed back in to the grid ??? or get paid money for a surplus beyond electricity used in a billing month cycle?

Since seeing my three MPP LV2424s that do not have the "UL1741 compliance TV certification"; but do have a configuration option to send power back to grid, and also have the anti island safety feature abilities that cuts grid feed when the grid loses power (as per communication and quote from a MPP tech rep); ... and since seeing sunny periods when I have excess solar watts from my 6000 watts of PV that are ready to tap, but are not fully utilized (working on more ways to use em), ... I am interested in Learning More about ways to make the permission hoop jump to feed those excess solar watts back to the grid, ... for an accounting of such on my utility bill.

... I will research for more info. I just read via 1st internet search of UL1741 compliance : Labelling Requirements•In addition to being approved on state lists, product will need to be physically labelled as “Grid Support Inverter” rather than simply “Grid Interactive”‒You may hear these referred to as “Smart Inverters” or “Advanced Inverters ... Any explanation info. from users or forum members welcome by me :+)

Last edited:
Even though it says UL1741 "on the box", my car is UL1741 certified, just like my cat is.

The point of UL1741 is to turn off the equipment if the grid goes down.

Since the LV6548 doesn't back feed to the grid, it is ok to say if the grid goes down, it won't back feed the grid, and they managed to get it certified to do something that it can't do anyway.

Compare this to what the SolArk can do, SolArk can back feed the grid,

If you are "OFF-GRID" who cares if you UL1741?

2021-01-04.png

Follow up question. Would it be wise to have another automatic transfer switch that bypasses the LV6548 completely just in case the unit fails for whatever reason? So it would be;

Grid
|
Breaker Panel --> LV6548's -- > House Breaker Panel
|------> Transfer Switch |--------^

Follow up question. Would it be wise to have another automatic transfer switch that bypasses the LV6548 completely just in case the unit fails for whatever reason? So it would be;

Grid
|
Breaker Panel --> LV6548's -- > House Breaker Panel
|------> Transfer Switch |--------^
I use a giant knife switch not a automatic transfer switch.

It is definitely a good idea to have an option to bypass the inverters.

I run grid connected or off grid.

Grid connected:
Grid - - > house panel (and PV) - - > inverter - - > critical load and batteries

Off grid
PV - - > inverter - - > house panel, critical load, and batteries.

With a knife switch there is no possibility that you can accidently run both options at the same time.

With transfer switches it is possible, and if no lock out blocks potential to damage the inverter is there.

Last edited:
I use a giant knife switch not a automatic transfer switch.

It is definitely a good idea to have an option to bypass the inverters.

I run grid connected or off grid.

Grid connected:
Grid - - > house panel (and PV) - - > inverter - - > critical load and batteries

Off grid
PV - - > inverter - - > house panel, critical load, and batteries.

With a knife switch there is no possibility that you can accidently run both options at the same time.

With transfer switches it is possible, and if no lock out blocks potential to damage the inverter is there.
I get what you’re saying. So something similar to this would work better for my setup.

IMG_20191228_203545220_HDR.jpgIMG_20191228_203621589_HDR.jpgIMG_20191228_203626728.jpgIMG_20191228_204606452_HDR.jpgIMG_20191228_204944366.jpg

Last edited:
Thinking about doing the same soon! What you gonna do with your 5048’s?
For sale. (one is pending)

The point of UL1741 is to turn off the equipment if the grid goes down.
Since the LV6548 doesn't back feed to the grid, it is ok to say if the grid goes down, it won't back feed the grid, and they managed to get it certified to do something that it can't do anyway.

Compare this to what the SolArk can do, SolArk can back feed the grid,

If you are "OFF-GRID" who cares if you UL1741?
I am on grid. I am pretty sure there is a config option to feed electricy to the grid with the LV6548 (will study there manual soon), and MPP's UL1741 certification for their LV6548 maybe the first one on their Hybrid products ? ; plus significant. Maybemy question is for a different thread? ... I am looking for the least expensive way to jump through the permission/ permit hoops for a grid feed / tie option, in California USA. I think that might be with micro-inverters connect to a solar panel and my circuit breaker box? I want the proper meter for that grid feed, plus the utility biller ready for my turning my meter backwards (electronically), and that translating into less of a bill, or a surplus accounting for the month or year that I get paid for. ... that said: I have already installed my DIY build of 3 MPP LV2424s built on 24v LiFePO4s, with 6K Watts of PV Solar ...

Here's a related answer I got back for MPP, about the anti-island ability of some of their All In Ones:
My point is "UL1741 Certification" is more than just anti-island ability ... & info via .... dialog with MPP /Twaiwan Reply :
also posted in this thread: https://diysolarforum.com/threads/a...rid-the-full-pv-power.7957/page-4#post-174857

hi William, Yes I can confirm all our hybrid inverters (including LV2424) have anti-islanding protection, regardless of UL. It is a standard feature.
Best regards, Eric Hsiao ¦ Product Manager, MPP Solar Inc.
T. +886.2.8797.8896 ¦ F. +886.2.8797.6225 ¦ Taiwan
eric@mppsolar.com ¦ www.mppsolar.com

-----Original Message----- From: MPPSolar Webform [mailto:WEBFORM@mppsolar.com] Subject: "LV2424 Grid Feed" From: William: I am wondering if the LV2424 might have anti-island ability without MPP jumping the expense hoop of getting it TUV certified. I currently have 3 x LV2424 configured for 240vac split phase. I know there is a grid feed configuration option I could experiment with/ and best not with out proper permission (I doubt is available without the UL1741 certification. I know your new LV6548 has UL1741 compliance (TUV certified) for US Markets. My Question: Does your LV2424 possibly have anit-island ability, without being in UL1741 compliance (TUV certified) ?
Cordially, William ...in Northern California

Utility(or generator) power only comes in.

Load goes out.

There isn't even mention of UL1741 in the manual.

2021-01-04 (3).png

Utility(or generator) power only comes in.

Load goes out.

There isn't even mention of UL1741 in the manual.

View attachment 32153
Wow. I'll study that manual later. I am currently on learning curve for my MPP LV2424s ... while also all over the place. Kind of impressed with the LV242 having about 30 plus configuration options; including for running grid power through those all in ones to back up Loads beyond Solar In Power (if configured properly for such): PLUS to there is a #9 options (labeled as) Solar or battery feed to grid configuration : : with option to disable (default setting), or enable. Have not tested it, but heard from Ian at MPP (eBay) in California, that some folks are using that setting to send energy to grid, that might be easier other countries like Europe, or So America, or Island countries .... Wanting to learn more about this aspect of options because w 6000 watts of solar on my roof, I already see times my solar panel watts are just sitting idle/ as in not being utilized when the solar is making easy solar watt options Available ... and then when I turn on heaters, or other loads, ... the 3 LV2424s I have jump into action pulling those watts from my solar (then show jumps in PV watts being used)

Last edited:
I've noticed there are a lot of configuration differences in the LV2424 to the LV5048/6548. It's kind of weird that they are so different and that the LV5048 is actually two LV2424's in one box.

Today is one of those days where I am "wasting" power. I am off-grid right now, running my house, and the batteries are fully charged. I can turn stuff on and use the free sun, but then I really don't need to. ? So the MPPT just basically turns off the panels.

At 10:20 AM on the 4th I pressed pay on PayPal.
At 12:06 PM on the 6th they just entered Customs in Cincinnati, Ohio.

The original price was $1155, they gave me "$1120" each, delivered.

The waybill shows $980. How in the world can they do 48hour worldwide delivery for $140?

I would say there is a pretty good markup that they could do a pretty good discount on with a big group buy.

2021-01-06_LI.jpg

At 12:37 PM on the 7th they are sitting on my porch.
20210107_141432.jpg

And some "size measurements";
20210107_142225.jpg20210107_142243.jpg20210107_142416.jpg20210107_142427.jpg

The AC input/output is 4 AWG or smaller.
20210107_143451.jpg

The DC is a post, use whatever size you can get up to 4/0 AWG.
20210107_143542.jpg

There is not a separate "mounting bracket". You put your screws/bolts into the wall first at the top, hang it, then on the lower part have two more screws/bolts to attach to the mount/wall also.

20210107_142337.jpg

Little confused.
At 120a PV max input x 48v only equals 5750w as the max PV input. 6500w ÷ 48v = 135a, so why 120a max input. So it can't handle 6500w input? Am I missing something? Do I need another solar controller to get another string to get to 6500w in if I can use 6500 out.

If you use very common solar farm and residential panel of 250w 38v, 5 of them gives you 190v x 1.2 for cold coefecient = 228v so a series of 5 is your max with our cold desert mornings. Then if you try to get to a maximum amount of panel input it almost does 5s5p.

250w x 5s panels =1250w x5p = 6250w then ÷ 48v = 130a input???

So if you want the highest voltage for the least voltage drop/smallest wire then you would have to do 5s4p = 5000w and then 3s for the remaining 750w??? I was thinking run the strings into a solar combiner but how does 3 panels 140v paralleled onto 5 panels 228v work? Is that possible or should I get a controller to handle 5 more panels. I have 50 panels. So if I do 5s4p that leaves 10 panels unused.

Last edited:
6500 is the AC watts output.

8000 watts MPPT solar max input (2x4000 on 250V max strings)

48v is the battery "area" of voltage. (vs 24 or 12)

LV5048 vs LV6548
20210107_184435.jpg

LV6548 in split phase.
This setup can do 13kW AC 240V split phase output. It has 16kW solar input, as 4 4000W MPPT inputs 250V max each string.
20210108_005722.jpg

Last edited:
Back