diy solar

diy solar

MPP-Solar LVX-6048

It's ok Ian. I was hoping to hear from a regular joe such as yourself. Your info is still good unless you're a competitor :giggle:

No, I am not
Thanks, Ian30. Out of curiosity, do you mind sharing what your system looks like? I've got FOUR LVX6048 units that I plan to wire in parallel with a 2.2kw array, so this firmware/paralleling issue is top priority for me.

That's not much solar 2.2k, you might not even see the issue.

Now that's much better. Add a 20uf cap to the ac output will solve voltage drop issues any weirdness with certain loads. Cheap insurance if anything.
You definitely got my attention. Let's start by sorting out the paralleling issues. In an email, I've asked Ian Roux/Watts247 about both the latest status of paralleling and this question of putting a capacitor across the AC output. I'll share what I hear back.

Its as if MPPsolar was allergic to doing this testing themselves?
No reason why they cannot parallel a few of these and see for themselves what is going on?
I mean, why wouldnt they? Something does not seem right there.
Maybe i am just paranoid.

No reason why they cannot parallel a few of these and see for themselves what is going on?
I don't think they have an actual real world test stuff. We're stuck finding fixes for it ourselves.

You definitely got my attention. Let's start by sorting out the paralleling issues. In an email, I've asked Ian Roux/Watts247 about both the latest status of paralleling and this question of putting a capacitor across the AC output. I'll share what I hear back.
He's pretty responsive by phone if you can't wait. What if the issue is due to noise, and the cap is the choke that fixes it? They are 10 bucks for 2. Quite worth it even if it doesn't fix the parallel issue. MPP solar did not come up with my fix. I found the fix on the sp6548 thread here. Ran it by Ian too just in case but problem solved with my heat pump causing havoc.

He's pretty responsive by phone if you can't wait. What if the issue is due to noise, and the cap is the choke that fixes it? They are 10 bucks for 2. Quite worth it even if it doesn't fix the parallel issue. MPP solar did not come up with my fix. I found the fix on the sp6548 thread here. Ran it by Ian too just in case but problem solved with my heat pump causing havoc.
MPP Solar and Watts247 are not the same thing. Surely MPP Solar and/or Voltronix have tested these units in parallel, as they advertise this as a core feature.

Ian Roux at Watts247 has indeed set up a paralleled pair of LVX6048 units, and posted a tutorial on his Youtube channel, Ian's Solar Projects, showing how he did it: MPP Solar LVX6048 Parallel Setup Wiring and Generator Charging Tips. He's a distributor, not a manufacturer, so this was by no means a proper industrial bench test, but he did set it up with an array and batteries, showing how one unit was primary and the other was secondary, and it all worked without apparent issues.

Ian has told me he is feeling intense pressure over the paralleling issue, and is focusing that pressure onto MPP Solar. I'm not thrilled to be a guinea pig with these units, but can tolerate this as long as MPP Solar is urgently and earnestly addressing the problems. Taiwan companies generally are way better at this kind of customer response than mainland China firms. So we'll see.

If Ian doesn't respond to my email reasonably soon, I will ring him.

MPP Solar and Watts247 are not the same thing. Surely MPP Solar and/or Voltronix have tested these units in parallel, as they advertise this as a core feature.
Oh I am well aware. MPP Solar answered my emails only to tell me they are waiting on RD. Watts247 were more responsive. A lab environment or a quick demo is not enough. These were poorly tested if some have issues.

Thanks, Ian30. Out of curiosity, do you mind sharing what your system looks like? I've got FOUR LVX6048 units that I plan to wire in parallel with a 2.2kw array, so this firmware/paralleling issue is top priority for me.
I have 3 LVX6048 in parallel. Each one has 12 455w Panels in a 6x2 setup. I also have 10 EG4 100aH batteries. I have 1 to 2 power outages every day. Its annoying but the other thing that is wierd about them is that they dont like to have grid power hooked up when they are inverting from PV. I can have grid power hooked to them all night even if it is not pulling from the grid with no issue but the moment the sun is up and bright the inverters get really noisy. If I shut off grid power they quiet down, and if I leave it on it might be ok, or 1 or 2 or 3 of them might get a fault 60, or some other random fault. I have to mess with them every day and I hate them. Right after they released 63.05 I went 48 hours without one problem and it felt awesome, but I also did not have grid power turned on. 63.06 introduced me to Fault 12 initially, but that has been better lately, but still have power outages. As of yesterday one of my inverters is down. I found the breaker to the battery pack was popped and had fault 83. When I reset the breaker it faulted out all my batteries. I tried resetting everything, but That inverter causes the batteries to click and fault out every time. I have had these running for around 6 months, tried a lot of things, and they always surprise me with a new problem or fault. I hear some people have good luck with them. I have been sending my issues to MPP in Taiwan and they are responsive and working on it, so maybe in the future it will get better. I hope so.

I also am well aware.
Watts247 has been very helpful to me . But I never mentioned Watts247 above.
As NC73 says, MPP solar needed to do a bit more work.
I have written to MPP Solar myself and found their technical groups answers less than sufficient.
I solved my particular problem myself.
In my travels, I have met a number of folks who were supposed to be able to troubleshoot problems.
Many times I witnessed they could not troubleshoot their way out of a paper bag. I hope MPP Solar is not that way.
I really do.

63.06 introduced me to Fault 12
Me too. I've never had fault 12 until 6306. I've figured out if setting #13 (Max_AC_charging_current) is above 60 amps it will fault over and over when I turn the inverter off to manually charge up the batteries. Set at 60 or below, it works as expected.

Before I complain that 6306 has a bug, perhaps fault 12 is helping me out somehow? Manual says "Charge current is over"

Troubleshooting section says "DC/DC over current or surge." and "Restart the unit, if the error happens again, please return to repair center."

It happens over and over if I try to charge > 60 amps on AC/Grid. Anyone else figure this out ?

I wonder if that 60 amp issue is related to the parallel issue?
Me too. I've never had fault 12 until 6306. I've figured out if setting #13 (Max_AC_charging_current) is above 60 amps it will fault over and over when I turn the inverter off to manually charge up the batteries. Set at 60 or below, it works as expected.
Anyone set it below 60 and have it cure the parallel issue? not logical, but worth asking.

Before I complain that 6306 has a bug, perhaps fault 12 is helping me out somehow? Manual says "Charge current is over"

Troubleshooting section says "DC/DC over current or surge." and "Restart the unit, if the error happens again, please return to repair center."

It happens over and over if I try to charge > 60 amps on AC/Grid. Anyone else figure this out ?
I never have 13 set above 20 and have had a fault 12. Although with three inverters that would take me to 60 amps total. Maybe I will try to set it to 15. But I know MPP is working on a new firmware version that will come out soon.

Yes one 20 uf on L1 and L2. I used this:
Please use a properly rated capacitor like this one - https://www.newark.com/kemet/r533w522050p0k/film-capacitor-22uf-310vac-radial/dp/04AK4590
It cost very little more than a cheap and nasty chinese junk cap. They are OK to prove the point but not long term.

I have 3 LVX6048 in parallel. Each one has 12 455w Panels in a 6x2 setup. I also have 10 EG4 100aH batteries. I have 1 to 2 power outages every day. Its annoying but the other thing that is wierd about them is that they dont like to have grid power hooked up when they are inverting from PV. I can have grid power hooked to them all night even if it is not pulling from the grid with no issue but the moment the sun is up and bright the inverters get really noisy. If I shut off grid power they quiet down, and if I leave it on it might be ok, or 1 or 2 or 3 of them might get a fault 60, or some other random fault. I have to mess with them every day and I hate them. Right after they released 63.05 I went 48 hours without one problem and it felt awesome, but I also did not have grid power turned on. 63.06 introduced me to Fault 12 initially, but that has been better lately, but still have power outages. As of yesterday one of my inverters is down. I found the breaker to the battery pack was popped and had fault 83. When I reset the breaker it faulted out all my batteries. I tried resetting everything, but That inverter causes the batteries to click and fault out every time. I have had these running for around 6 months, tried a lot of things, and they always surprise me with a new problem or fault. I hear some people have good luck with them. I have been sending my issues to MPP in Taiwan and they are responsive and working on it, so maybe in the future it will get better. I hope so.
Are you set up with a "net meter" on your local utility and are you feeding power back to the grid?
When you get the fault 60 do you notice if any of the settings revert to something other than what you had set? Setting 09 in particular.
Maybe the software is still buggy that way (loosing settings) and then faulting the "power feedback protection"

Another thing. My LVX6048 would throw code 08 (bus voltage too high) every once in a while when it was cold outside and very sunny. I ended up taking my 3 strings of 6 solar panels down to 3 strings of 5. My panels are 370watt 47.7VOC. That stopped the random 08 fault. After it warmed up I went back to a 6s/3p setup. Maybe the 08 and the 12 are somehow related.
How hard would it be to re-arrange your array to try a different PV input voltage? Perhaps you've tried that already.

I don't know... just throwing out some ideas that might help...

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-09-26 123742.png
    Screenshot 2022-09-26 123742.png
    25.8 KB · Views: 7
Back