diy solar

diy solar

MPP-Solar LVX-6048

I gave up on these units. The LVX6048, the EG46000, both had different reasons that they just would not work in my home. I bought the Schneider XW PRO and my problems went away in one shot.
I will probably write a review for the forum when I learn a bit more about it. The thing is a beast!
Where did you order from?
I'm pretty happy with my TP6048 but the plan has always been to upgrade to the Schneider.

My positive experience and low cost is why I went with the new LVX6048WP units from Ian at Watts247.com. I was on his original waiting list for the WP's when they came out. I do wish I waited a bit, as the 2022 versions have some positive changes.

What are the changes in the 2022 version of LVX6048WP? Do you AC couple grid-tied inverters to it? It looks interesting but the documentation is lacking.

Where did you order from?
I'm pretty happy with my TP6048 but the plan has always been to upgrade to the Schneider.
Surprisingly, Signature Solar had the best price I could find.
I have mixed feelings on them, but if they do right by me (regarding the EG46000 issue), I will give them some much desperately needed and extremly rare and unlikely repeated, (in my lifetime) good feedback on the forum.

Last edited:
What are the changes in the 2022 version of LVX6048WP? Do you AC couple grid-tied inverters to it? It looks interesting but the documentation is lacking.
The older units had an issue with the generator input when in parallel( I will be testing this shortly), and the firmware code is a different version, so some hardware updates had happened. I am not exactly sure what yet, as there IS NO FIRMWARE documentation release notes I can find anywhere.
Yes, I will be grid tying to my SMA Sunny Boy inverters.

Attachments

• 20230314_122817.jpg
    20230314_122817.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 20230131_215547.jpg
    20230131_215547.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 24
Yes, this is the computer software you can download from the MPP Solar website. The solarpower app for smart phones doesn't work yet with the LVX6048. They told me to have an working update at the end of June.
Hello from Puerto Rico. I hated the SolarPower and the WatchPower apps. I neve got them to show correct L2 voltage and power, only L1 so I went with Solar Assistant. I bought their Orange Pi 4 complete kit, around $200 shipped from South Africa. Wow, big difference and it can integrate my two Xiaoxiang 100A BMSs while the inverter cannot do it natively. Something to consider. Blessings from your neighbor island.

A quick update to the issues I'm struggling with running three LVX6048 in parallel.
The devices switch and change randomly paramerer 01 themselves: (every 20-30 minutes) SUB ... SBU ... SUB ...
In UPS mode, my LVX6048 do not accept the stable input power from my provider (240V/60Hz) and they show the utility on error switching to battery mode.
The devices often go to fault (error 80 CAN fault)
The charging current (parameter 11) cannot be changed on the device during charging.
Since the last firmware update, power feeding function has been enabled, but my bidirectional power meter shows a power factor between 0.16 and 0.85 for the energy fed into the grid.
Neither the PC software nor the android app work to monitor the system.
Unfortunately, I haven't received a reply to all of my emails from support guy Andy Y. for over a month.
Did you ever resolved the frequent 'The devices often go to fault (error 80 CAN fault)'?

Hi, is this a forum for discuss problem with the LVX6048 or for the pulpose of sales other equipment. I alreade have the LVX6048 and I am not interest in any other products. I need to resolve the problem that I have especially the WI-FI and the connection with the pc.
Old post but I hated the WatchPower and Solar Power apps that come bundled. I still use them to change some settings but not for monitoring as it lacks info and not accurate at all. I went with Solar Assistant monitoring software (https://solar-assistant.io/). I purchased their turn-key Orange Pi4 and software. around $200 delivered to PR, $55 for the software alone if you provide the Raspberry or Orange Pi yourself. It also works great with Voltronic type inverters (MPP, SunGold, Growatt, etc), even if in parallel. Also, they can read all kinds of BMS like Xiaoxiang, Daly, JBD, JK, etc by usng RS232/RS485 or CAN bus, something the inverter is limited on. Remote or local access is simple through the device's web page. Hope this helps

Last edited:
Hello from Puerto Rico. I hated the SolarPower and the WatchPower apps. I neve got them to show correct L2 voltage and power, only L1 so I went with Solar Assistant. I bought their Orange Pi 4 complete kit, around $200 shipped from South Africa. Wow, big difference and it can integrate my two Xiaoxiang 100A BMSs while the inverter cannot do it natively. Something to consider. Blessings from your neighbor island.
Yeah, I bought the software only version of solar assistant. Great code. I am so glad I bought 2 x Raspberry Pi 4's whem they were less than $50US with a baby keyboard and screen.

News would be great. Also I'm jealous of all these firmware updates for the EG4 6000EX that fix things folks are posting. Has anyone dared attempt to ... ?

News would be great. Also I'm jealous of all these firmware updates for the EG4 6000EX that fix things folks are posting. Has anyone dared attempt to ... ?
Appears to be newest.

I've been running 6306 for awhile now (single inverter). It is stable, but the inverter still does things that I believe it shouldn't. For example, why can I run my small window AC (<800w) when there is no sun, regardless of battery level... but if I have full sun (250v / 3.7kw panels) and the inverter is charging batteries, it will sometimes throw fault 12 (charge current is over). And sometimes it will fault 8 if there is an imbalance of ~1200w or greater between the legs.

I've learned to live with and work around it's limitations. But I wouldn't get another one unless there is evidence that MPP is still developing fixes for some of the issues. Not to mention all the parallel issues I haven't yet ventured into.

I've been running 6306 for awhile now (single inverter). It is stable, but the inverter still does things that I believe it shouldn't. For example, why can I run my small window AC (<800w) when there is no sun, regardless of battery level... but if I have full sun (250v / 3.7kw panels) and the inverter is charging batteries, it will sometimes throw fault 12 (charge current is over). And sometimes it will fault 8 if there is an imbalance of ~1200w or greater between the legs.

I've learned to live with and work around it's limitations. But I wouldn't get another one unless there is evidence that MPP is still developing fixes for some of the issues. Not to mention all the parallel issues I haven't yet ventured into.
What are your settings for max charge current?
I have 0 issues with faults running 2 strings ~350v / 2.8kw per string.
I also have zero issues with imbalances that are much higher than 1.2kw at times...
I am running a TP6048 which I assume is the same inverter...

I'll grab some better shots of imbalances when I get home today. Bunch of random SA images of my inverter attached.

Attachments

• IMG_20230410_102127.jpg
    IMG_20230410_102127.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20230412_200319.jpg
    IMG_20230412_200319.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20230401_140906.jpg
    IMG_20230401_140906.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20230419_172416.jpg
    IMG_20230419_172416.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20230203_130144.jpg
    IMG_20230203_130144.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20230402_113006.jpg
    IMG_20230402_113006.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 8
120A max charge current. At the moment it flips out, it is less than half that. Here are some images of an example when it struggled keeping the AC on. At just past 14:30 is when the AC compressor comes on, then a few seconds later it throws code 12 (charge current over). You'd think that it would immediately trip with the compressor comes on, but it is several seconds after it is running just fine. If the sun is not out, or the batteries are full and not charging, no problems at all.

1682299915076.png
1682300390350.png

120A max charge current. At the moment it flips out, it is less than half that. Here are some images of an example when it struggled keeping the AC on. At just past 14:30 is when the AC compressor comes on, then a few seconds later it throws code 12 (charge current over). You'd think that it would immediately trip with the compressor comes on, but it is several seconds after it is running just fine. If the sun is not out, or the batteries are full and not charging, no problems at all.

View attachment 146240
View attachment 146243
Do you have a soft start on your AC? It seems no, since you are pulling close to 70amps when it starts. The MicroAir EasyStarts work well. My 3 ton went from 68amps down to less than 30amps, which also helps with my generator when needed.

View attachment 146240
View attachment 146243
Just thinking out loud here. It seems like it is overcompensating for the spike of the compressor and causing the trip after the initial surge... I don't have enough PV, yet, to max out charge current and try replicating.
I agree with @Sanwizard that a soft start should help and will likely also increase longevity.

Edit - is that home assistant combined with SA for your monitor? really like the dark background and cleaner appearance.

The battery current is blue going into the batteries, i.e. charging. The 60A surge is a charge surge due to the inverter dropping the load entirely for about 10 seconds, putting all of the sun briefly into charging. I'm only getting data every 20-30 seconds, so alot of brief details are lost.

It is Home assistant, but not SA. The graphing is grafana, I just put together my own monitoring for fun. Here is an example of what I made the graph look like when it goes from charging to discharging as the sun goes down for reference.
1682364652852.png

HI to all, the other day I had a problem with the grid it went down to 92 volt ac line and my system was giving me the same voltage, I was in solar. I turn off the grid voltage and the voltage went to 120v I was monitoring the imput voltage and went it came normal 120v, turn on the grid. My input is in Apl. Up to know my system has been working ok. Any idea, Thanks

Back