diy solar

diy solar

MPPT 2424lv-MDS controller not sensing the Solar Arrays.

Jim Burrow

Solar Enthusiast
For 6 months my 2424lv controller/inverter while in my workshop run falsely while connected to the Utility, Batteries, and solar. So, this week it was time to move and mount the solar panels on the roof of my house and move the controller/inverter to its new location, and preparing to connect to the house wiring.

Today after moving everything and connecting as it was in my shop and connecting my test load (123-watt heat lamp that I have been using for 6 months), I powered the system on.

Right off the bat, the controller is not sensing the solar panels. There are no alarms and nothing in the manual about troubleshooting this issue. There is power from the panels to the controller solar input port (69.9 volts and ISC of 9 amps). Everything else works as it has in my workshop. It should have come on like it always has in the past.

Has anyone experience this problem with their all-in-one 2424lv controller/inverter and how did you solve the problem?

Check and double check all your wiring, make sure they are on the right terminals and tight..

My standard advice is to do a full hard shutdown, including physically disconnecting the batteries. After the shutdown, boot up the unit on battery power ONLY. Only after the unit is booted, and displaying the proper battery voltage, then reconnect the solar.

What lights do you have on the front?
LED panel shows Utility and Battery connected. but no solar. The battery is running the load. Then at a battery voltage of 22.0 volts, the utility kicks in and runs the load, and charges the battery to 27 volts. Not a beep out of the solar side.

Ok, this is where I ask possibly obvious questions to guess over the internet :)

What is your #16 setting?

1618452773450.png

My standard advice is to do a full hard shutdown, including physically disconnecting the batteries. After the shutdown, boot up the unit on battery power ONLY. Only after the unit is booted, and displaying the proper battery voltage, then reconnect the solar.
Sounds like a good plan to tackle in the morning - thanks.
Ok, this is where I ask possibly obvious questions to guess over the internet :)

What is your #16 setting?

View attachment 45178
It is set to C50 and has been working fine on that setting/option for months. "Solar energy will charge the battery as first priority".

regardless of the setting, the LED display has always shown the image of the solar connected. But not this time.

This is the display I always get. But this time no solar.

1618453682410.png

Michael probably has the best starting point. Unplug everything and try again. If you have a breaker(s) on the PV side, you can just turn them off, but it wouldn't hurt to disconnect the wires and redo. Hope you figure it out!

Michael probably has the best starting point. Unplug everything and try again. If you have a breaker(s) on the PV side, you can just turn them off, but it wouldn't hurt to disconnect the wires and redo. Hope you figure it out!
Yes, a reboot as laid out by Michael is the best place to start. I'm able to disconnect everything either by a breaker or on/off switches. I'm letting the batteries charge up overnight before starting the reboot.

Ok, found my problem, the two 4 gauge wires from the solar panels to the controller where they plug into the controller were oxidized and no longer making a good connection. I cleaned up the wire ends and reinstalled them back into the controller solar input ports and all is working now.

Thanks, everyone for your feedback.

Back