diy solar

diy solar

MPPT solar charger in weatherproof enclosure?

I wouldn't put a solar charge controller in an enclosed box. They need air flow to manage their internal temperature. I have two Victron 100/50 MPPT solar charge controllers inside my RV trailer in a closet. I also have a fan in the compartment with a temperature sensor to ensure that air moves in/out of the compartment should the temperature get too high.

Yeah as already suggested above about a sealed enclosure and restricted flow. The MPPT's have external heat sinks that require some form of air flow to dissipate the heat generated.
Additionally you're also creating another problem with humidity! As the MPPT heats during normal operation and with no form of insulation within the walls of the enclosure and the difference between the temp internally and externally will cause condensation on the internal surfaces of the enclosure.
And unless you have a waterproof MPPT, (which I'm guessing you don't, hence your query) this humidity could have a detrimental impact on the operating MPPT output!

Back