diy solar

diy solar

MULTIPLUS 3000/24/70 ..A simple question…

Mine came with 430, but I decided to upgrade since they added native low temp charge protection for Lithium batteries in 489. They fixed a bug that only applied it to the L1 inverter in a multiphase system, but now applies to all phases in 494.

Give that this is a new installation in the process of deployment, and that there have been multiple enhances with all VE.Bus inverters, I recommend you upgrade to the current 503.
I intend to start working on that soon as I figure out a plan of attack. I used the wrong word earlier when I said banned , as it said “incompatible “firmware ….I will go out in the morn and see what version I have . But whatever it is , I agree ,I need to update it.
one of the warnings they give is that if you do update it it will strip all clear all settings and they must be reset… ( or am I missing somthing) ? Why would that be ? Everything else the make I own doesn’t say things like that… it just updates and you go on your way…
at this point I only have the inverter on as there is no AC to feed the charger… the 150/100 charger is all I have powering anything…im going to rig a generator input to supplement the charging soon……i still have to wire a RV receptacle to feed the camper and a few other do dads …
it was late in the day when I finally tried it and I just stopped to think on what is next…
I was tired of being hunched over in a small tailor all day…

Don’t you worry …I’m Gona mix me up a couple of stout ones and then dive headfirst right in…
I was just checking to see what the masses had to say…they are smart …

Drunken DIY electrics , a man after my own heart lol

I intend to start working on that soon as I figure out a plan of attack. I used the wrong word earlier when I said banned , as it said “incompatible “firmware ….I will go out in the morn and see what version I have . But whatever it is , I agree ,I need to update it.
one of the warnings they give is that if you do update it it will strip all clear all settings and they must be reset… ( or am I missing somthing) ? Why would that be ? Everything else the make I own doesn’t say things like that… it just updates and you go on your way…

It just means that any custom settings you have made will be lost and replaced with the defaults.

There's another pretty nifty way to upgrade that doesn't result in lost settings. You can do it "remotely" through VRM on a computer with VEConfigure installed. Here's Victron's warning when you initiate the firmware update via VRM:

1682872308527.png

Confirm understanding of this procedure
The inverter/charger is the heart of a Victron power system. Before continuing, make sure to fully understand each step. The first stage consists of 5 steps:
1. The new firmware file is uploaded to the GX Device.
2. The configuration is retrieved from the VE.Bus system.
3. The inverter is switched off and its firmware is updated. Be aware that there will be no AC power available. Also the internet connection might be lost, in case the router is powered by the inverter. Which is OK, this update has been designed to remotely update an Off-grid system.
4. After the firmware update is completed, the settings will be reset to defaults and, to prevent overcharging, the charge current will be set to zero amps, and then the inverter is switched on again.
5. The internet connection will be re-established (in case it was lost) and the new settings template is retrieved from the system; after which it will be uploaded to your web browser.

At this moment the first stage is complete. Next you’ll need to open the provided file in VE.Bus System Configurator by double clicking it. The settings will automatically be converted to the new firmware version; and a popup will show in case anything needs double checking. When finished, close the Configurator, it will prompt to store the file.

Last stage: on VRM, go to Device List -> Remote VEConfigure and there use the Upload feature to upload the settings. This will restore the charge current.

It outlines the process nicely and includes reloading your prior settings and integrating them with any new settings made available by new firmware features.

Of course, if you don't have a GX, ignore everything about firmware update via VRM.

at this point I only have the inverter on as there is no AC to feed the charger… the 150/100 charger is all I have powering anything…im going to rig a generator input to supplement the charging soon……i still have to wire a RV receptacle to feed the camper and a few other do dads …
it was late in the day when I finally tried it and I just stopped to think on what is next…
I was tired of being hunched over in a small tailor all day…

Imagine how he felt.

Reactions: JRH
It just means that any custom settings you have made will be lost and replaced with the defaults.

There's another pretty nifty way to upgrade that doesn't result in lost settings. You can do it "remotely" through VRM on a computer with VEConfigure installed. Here's Victron's warning when you initiate the firmware update via VRM:

View attachment 147200

Confirm understanding of this procedure
The inverter/charger is the heart of a Victron power system. Before continuing, make sure to fully understand each step. The first stage consists of 5 steps:
1. The new firmware file is uploaded to the GX Device.
2. The configuration is retrieved from the VE.Bus system.
3. The inverter is switched off and its firmware is updated. Be aware that there will be no AC power available. Also the internet connection might be lost, in case the router is powered by the inverter. Which is OK, this update has been designed to remotely update an Off-grid system.
4. After the firmware update is completed, the settings will be reset to defaults and, to prevent overcharging, the charge current will be set to zero amps, and then the inverter is switched on again.
5. The internet connection will be re-established (in case it was lost) and the new settings template is retrieved from the system; after which it will be uploaded to your web browser.

At this moment the first stage is complete. Next you’ll need to open the provided file in VE.Bus System Configurator by double clicking it. The settings will automatically be converted to the new firmware version; and a popup will show in case anything needs double checking. When finished, close the Configurator, it will prompt to store the file.

Last stage: on VRM, go to Device List -> Remote VEConfigure and there use the Upload feature to upload the settings. This will restore the charge current.

It outlines the process nicely and includes reloading your prior settings and integrating them with any new settings made available by new firmware features.

Of course, if you don't have a GX, ignore everything about firmware update via VRM.

Imagine how he felt.
Ok , then that sparks the idea , (insert hillbilly equation and theory here:)

* you said updating the firmware strips all custom settings and reverts them to the default, and as this is never been hooked up and was never programmed before shipping to the retailer I bought it from , it works fine in the basic sence with the factory default settings, SO I update it with the MK cord .. let it bring the unit up to date on firmware..OK… now that’s behind me… !!!

If It’s now back to the default settings AGAIN after firmware is updated ,it should work just as it does now maybe better ( caution, that is an assumption) ...Ok.. then I go through the menus to tweak the settings I know or have referenced as needed for my particular gear. I am very comfortable with the other Vic gear I own doing that ,so think that’s do-able no prob. . I have looked over the types and values suggested by you and others and several online site since last night and they seem pretty straightforward As far as what’s needed and why….there maybe a setting or two that's new and I have to reference it individually to clarify , but thats pretty normal untill you get it all committed to memory ….Ok…? *

End of redneck equation and theory.

what’s your take on this..?
J.

As I recall, the VictronConnect application on my laptop allowed me to save the settings to a file. I think I used the Demo Library mode to configure the settings offline and then when I was connected to my Multiplus with the MK3 adapter I uploaded those settings, which was done after the firmware update.

As I recall, the VictronConnect application on my laptop allowed me to save the settings to a file. I think I used the Demo Library mode to configure the settings offline and then when I was connected to my Multiplus with the MK3 adapter I uploaded those settings, which was done after the firmware update.
Haa.. I wish I could tell you I have some settings to save to a file like I do on the BMV and SCC .. but I don’t have anything… I have to create them at some point … it’s just straight out of the box from the dealer who never programmed anything…
all I have done it hook it up and turn it on….
and watch it invert….
but thanks …it’s a good thought …if I ever get some custom setting after updating the firmware I will put them in a file to save for sure…
J.
Edit, I have not considered using the demo mode .. I will consider that…. Good point.

Haa.. I wish I could tell you I have some settings to save to a file like I do on the BMV and SCC .. but I don’t have anything… I have to create them at some point … it’s just straight out of the box from the dealer who never programmed anything…
all I have done it hook it up and turn it on….
and watch it invert….
but thanks …it’s a good thought …if I ever get some custom setting after updating the firmware I will put them in a file to save for sure…
J.
Edit, I have not considered using the demo mode .. I will consider that…. Good point.

Unless you're doing something overtly complicated like using 3 units to get 3 phase or some oddball relay settings for load-shedding, gen start etc then then it can't be more than 5 minutes to reconfigure the settings using Victron Connect.

Unless you're doing something overtly complicated like using 3 units to get 3 phase or some oddball relay settings for load-shedding, gen start etc then then it can't be more than 5 minutes to reconfigure the settings using Victron Connect.
You’re right , i agree… but if you have not looked into it at all , Victron will literally scare the hell out of you with warnings ..they must have somehow monetized scaring their customers…ha..… now it’s all making more sence and falling into place…. I just try to be cautious if I don’t know somthing .. I have an “OODA loop“ of sorts I operate with ..

Ok , then that sparks the idea , (insert hillbilly equation and theory here:)

* you said updating the firmware strips all custom settings and reverts them to the default, and as this is never been hooked up and was never programmed before shipping to the retailer I bought it from , it works fine in the basic sence with the factory default settings, SO I update it with the MK cord .. let it bring the unit up to date on firmware..OK… now that’s behind me… !!!

If It’s now back to the default settings AGAIN after firmware is updated ,it should work just as it does now maybe better ( caution, that is an assumption) ...Ok.. then I go through the menus to tweak the settings I know or have referenced as needed for my particular gear. I am very comfortable with the other Vic gear I own doing that ,so think that’s do-able no prob. . I have looked over the types and values suggested by you and others and several online site since last night and they seem pretty straightforward As far as what’s needed and why….there maybe a setting or two that's new and I have to reference it individually to clarify , but thats pretty normal untill you get it all committed to memory ….Ok…? *

End of redneck equation and theory.

what’s your take on this..?
J.

Redneck theory confirmed. Your performance with default settings on 413 will likely be indistinguishable from 502 or any other version.

Updating firmware on your MP and settings should be a non-issue. Just update it and configure it when you care to.

Reactions: JRH
Redneck theory confirmed. Your performance with default settings on 413 will likely be indistinguishable from 502 or any other version.

Updating firmware on your MP and settings should be a non-issue. Just update it and configure it when you care to.
Yeesssss… .
we cold cold weather coming for a few days up in the hills.. little snow and bright sunny freezing mornings.
will be a great time to punch this cow… and make her work….
J.

LOL... snow... I'm sitting here in a 91°F fire watch on our way to 99°F....

View attachment 147208
Yeow…. I start heat stressing at about 74 …have to head under a tree…that’s insane …we see above 80 a few times a summer ,.but it’s short lived or most of us would expire…it’s why I moved to the mountains many years ago..
( check out some SPF 6500for the skin )
thanks for your help…
J.

You’re right , i agree… but if you have not looked into it at all , Victron will literally scare the hell out of you with warnings ..they must have somehow monetized scaring their customers…ha..… now it’s all making more sence and falling into place…. I just try to be cautious if I don’t know somthing .. I have an “OODA loop“ of sorts I operate with ..

LOL... snow... I'm sitting here in a 91°F fire watch on our way to 99°F....

View attachment 147208

You are sun wealthy

I prefer the term, "photon privileged"
Hey hey hey .. !!! watch it man… that will get ya in trouble with …with ...somebody.?? not sure who, but I’m sure their out their waitin to be offended…… gotta be cool nowdays …

I am hoping that the joy inherent in the two portions of my name make me "cancel - immune"...
Ha ha……positive self affirmation is a great thing to help prosper ….
I am , therefor I am…..
If ya succeed you are king…if ya fail ,they say , man he was a fighter …he really tried..
either way ya win…

?

Back