diy solar

diy solar

MULTIPLUS 3000/24/70 ..A simple question…

I have a multiplus. The instructions are quite thorough. Victron’s “wiring unlimited” provides even more detail.

I looked at many different “brands” and Victron and morning star had the best documentation
I thank you for your thoughts…they certainly will help … I gather many sources of data for the same endeavors in life .. it buffers and filters the inconsistency’s and ambiguity’s that always exist in most printed info….…we all have our own ways and methods in the search for understanding…and many different reasons for doing so …
With that said , I will be using your suggestion as a valuable source, so again I say thanks …

The need to precharge or not depends on how big the inverter is and how small the battery is.

A single 100 amp BMS may not have the ability to precharge a 3000 watt inverter.

It has been suggested that a precharge, no matter the size of the inverter and battery, is a good idea. I think that's reasonable.

As far as programming the Multiplus goes, I think I set maybe two or three parameters. The charge amps and the AC input amps are important if you have no other way to set them. I use my Cerbo GX/Touch 50 to change those values, so I didn't have to program them through the MK3.

I have a multiplus. The instructions are quite thorough. Victron’s “wiring unlimited” provides even more detail.

I looked at many different “brands” and Victron and morning star had the best documentation

That's part of the issue. Victron documentation is very thorough... thoroughly in multiple references/resources... :)

Want to know how to safely overpanel an MPPT in that context - not just be given the general equipment rules and draw the right conclusion?

Gotta go to a 2014 blog entry:

The information is out there...

The Victron manual does have a good amount of information. That AUX charging port on the Multiplus? Not much info on that. I would like to use it, but my manual doesn't have much about it. It's probably explained on the Victron forum, but I haven't looked hard enough yet.

That's part of the issue. Victron documentation is very thorough... thoroughly in multiple references/resources... :)

Want to know how to safely overpanel an MPPT in that context - not just be given the general equipment rules and draw the right conclusion?

Gotta go to a 2014 blog entry:

The information is out there...
Well damn…. I took the advice of an Online blogger and “fired that bastard up“ …it worked ..and I’m still alive too….. how bout that… I was met with many pop up boxes after hooking up the the fancy cable that cost 75 dollars that my updates was waayyy out of date , but it started inverting and powered up a heat gun a space heater and whatever else I threw at it…

I will leave it running tonight to draw down on the bank and start trying to figure out where to go from here… it’s been two years working on this whole thing… I can’t believe it actually works…everything actually works ….amazing…

I gotta read up on these updates to firmware and how to get through all the warning notices from Victron …. This device is different from all the other Victron devices I own… it reminds me of my mother warning me about everything possible…i guess it has default settings in it and that’s what’s making it run….I guess?. Who knows…I haven’t done anything except turn it own …and plug stuff in to test it…
at least it’s doing it’s job..that's a step forward…

Well damn…. I took the advice of an Online blogger and “fired that bastard up“ …it worked ..and I’m still alive too….. how bout that… I was met with many pop up boxes after hooking up the the fancy cable that cost 75 dollars that my updates was waayyy out of date , but it started inverting and powered up a heat gun a space heater and whatever else I threw at it…

I will leave it running tonight to draw down on the bank and start trying to figure out where to go from here… it’s been two years working on this whole thing… I can’t believe it actually works…everything actually works ….amazing…

I gotta read up on these updates to firmware and how to get through all the warning notices from Victron …. This device is different from all the other Victron devices I own… it reminds me of my mother warning me about everything possible…i guess it has default settings in it and that’s what’s making it run….I guess?. Who knows…I haven’t done anything except turn it own …and plug stuff in to test it…

What settings are you wanting to change?

Just download victron connect and log into your unit via the MK3.

The software has "i" bubbles next to a lot of settings that tell you what the setting does.

VE config is a different software program that looks more like what you get with a cheaper AIO but even it is fairly intuitive and actually quite fun to play with when you want to do more advanced stuff.

Blog-pic-0.jpeg

The default settings are pretty good.

The need to precharge or not depends on how big the inverter is and how small the battery is.

A single 100 amp BMS may not have the ability to precharge a 3000 watt inverter.

It has been suggested that a precharge, no matter the size of the inverter and battery, is a good idea. I think that's reasonable.

As far as programming the Multiplus goes, I think I set maybe two or three parameters. The charge amps and the AC input amps are important if you have no other way to set them. I use my Cerbo GX/Touch 50 to change those values, so I didn't have to program them through the MK3.
Well in a different post
What settings are you wanting to change?

Just download victron connect and log into your unit via the MK3.

The software has "i" bubbles next to a lot of settings that tell you what the setting does.

VE config is a different software program that looks more like what you get with a cheaper AIO but even it is fairly intuitive and actually quite fun to play with when you want to do more advanced stuff.
i will work on it tomorrow when vodka isn’t in the mix like tonite…haaaa ..thanks guy… . Seriously . I’m just glad it works and the whole thing isnt on channel 5/news tonite.. .. there’s still work to be done… I’m just sorta tired tonite…

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa… that’s what I thought when I saw it not tripping breakers and actually working…

I still remember when my inverter went live. I had to text a couple people and let them know that it worked and didn't electrocute myself.

Reactions: JRH
Well in a different post

i will work on it tomorrow when vodka isn’t in the mix like tonite…haaaa ..thanks guy… . Seriously . I’m just glad it works and the whole thing isnt on channel 5/news tonite.. .. there’s still work to be done… I’m just sorta tired tonite…

It's pretty forgiving. Don't be afraid fart around with the settings.

Reactions: JRH
I still remember when my inverter went live. I had to text a couple people and let them know that it worked and didn't electrocute myself.
Exactly…. I texted my wife about 4.pm ..” the good news is it worked…the bad news is ,forget the insurence as I’m still alive”

It's pretty forgiving. Don't be afraid fart around with the settings.
I can’t do anything yet… I’m banned …im not worthy it seems …..as my firmware is from 2019… I need to talk to someone Monday to see what I’m need to do…

Update anything that connects with bluetooth. The Inverters are a different story. They're usually a "ain't broke don't fix" thing.

What version?

I can’t do anything yet… I’m banned …im not worthy it seems …..as my firmware is from 2019… I need to talk to someone Monday to see what I’m need to do…

Really?

When I got mine in mid-2019, they were at 430. They're updated as far as I want them to go... 497 I think.

You may not be able to update with VC, but you can probably do so with VEFlash and the MK3-USB.

Update anything that connects with bluetooth. The Inverters are a different story. They're usually a "ain't broke don't fix" thing.

What version?
Yep… they said that… don’t update if you don’t have to… I will have to go outside and look at the firmware versi9n, but it’s about 3.5 years old as that’s how long it’s been sitting in the box over in the corner..

Yep… they said that… don’t update if you don’t have to… I will have to go outside and look at the firmware versi9n, but it’s about 3.5 years old as that’s how long it’s been sitting in the box over in the corner..

What version?
Coyotes are raisin hell out side close by…it will be tomorrow before I get out there to see what version… I don’t feel like getting in a gunfight tonite… don’t hold me to it but it seems like I remember r like 413 ? . But I will find out…thank you …

Geez, that inverter is almost vintage. :p

Geez, that inverter is almost vintage. :p
So am I…. And I feel it too…. The next thing I need to do tomorrow which you should relate to, is hook up my tt30 receptacle on the solar trailer so that I can drag the 50 amp RV cord over and hook it up with a 30 amp dogbone to power the whole camper…
I was waiting to do that till after I saw it all worked… didn’t want to burn up anymore gear and parts than nessacary if I didn’t have to.

Mine came with 430, but I decided to upgrade since they added native low temp charge protection for Lithium batteries in 489. They fixed a bug that only applied it to the L1 inverter in a multiphase system, but now applies to all phases in 494.

Give that this is a new installation in the process of deployment, and that there have been multiple enhances with all VE.Bus inverters, I recommend you upgrade to the current 503.

Back