diy solar

diy solar

Multiplus ii UL listed and non UL listed for split-face.

Greasyrick

HI, Hope all is well, I recently purchased two Multiplus II 48volt 3000 VA units to grid tie them and run them for a 240volt setup, when they came I noticed one is UL listed with longer bottom cover and stamped with a certification logo on front cover, and the other one lacks these two mentioned characteristics, so hoping someone experienced this situation before or heard something might have an answer for me, questions are as follow: if I decide to use these two different ones, will it be any software compatibility issues when I connect them to Victron config, and try to configure them for split face? will they work differently, like one hotter than the other one, causing a difference in voltage between faces? I understand that the certification is mainly for grid tied applications and so far, all the researche I have done is mainly on the covers and a little port from a jack to a push connector, but I want to make sure there is no other differences than physical characteristics, and that they will not affect the performance of the units working on split face.
Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Did you order the UL listed model? They are different model numbers. If so, you deserve to have both of them as such. Contact your supplier. However, I do not think that there are any technical differences in features.

Did you order the UL listed model? They are different model numbers. If so, you deserve to have both of them as such. Contact your supplier. However, I do not think that there are any technical differences in features.
I was not aware you could get a non UL listed model in the US, so technically speaking I did order UL listed ones if there are sold to be installed here in US, specially if they are going to be grid tied. I sent the vendor an email, but it was after hours, hopefully he gets back to me tomorrow. My main concern is about software or firmware differences. .

I was not aware you could get a non UL listed model in the US, so technically speaking I did order UL listed ones if there are sold to be installed here in US, specially if they are going to be grid tied. I sent the vendor an email, but it was after hours, hopefully he gets back to me tomorrow. My main concern is about software or firmware differences. .
Yes, you can purchase the non-ul model, both are sold in the US, (the UL model was only available as of earlier this year), it all depends on your requirements, particularly what your jurisdiction requires if you are getting an inspection. Check your order and verify the model number. Hope your vendor will help.

Last edited:
Yes, you can purchase the non-ul model, both are sold in the US, (the UL model was only available as of earlier this year), it all depends on your requirements, particularly what your jurisdiction requires if you are getting an inspection. Check your order and verify the model number. Hope your vendor will help.
Hope so too, Thanks.

If you check https://www.currentconnected.com/product-category/inv/48-volt-inverters/ you can see they list them properly as two separate products with even different prices. I would hope they switch to only the UL listed version and get rid of the non-UL listed to prevent mixups like this.
Hope so as well, this is an authorized Victron supplier and installer as per the Victron website, it was not advertised as UL or non UL listed, sellers should make these corrections as I still see listings everywhere not specifying so.

Did you order both units at the same time on the same order?

Or were they purchased separately but both via the same vendor?

Check the part numbers in the orders the error could be your own doing.

Was it an Amazon vendor?

Yes it was an amazon vendor, they are Victron Authorized as per the Victron website, they have their own shop, they do commercial, residential and RV here in the US, I’m sure this is just a mishap, yes I ordered both at the same time, but after I placed the order he contacted me right away and said their inventory was off and had to order me a new one, 4 days later I get the second one and it’s the UL listed one, I never paid attention to any certifications on the first one they send me, since the box of the non UL listed and UL listed do not state they are or they are not UL certified, I waited to have both with me and found out when I open the boxes to install them, I even got the brackets bags with literature out of the box first to install them on the wall without removing the inverters out of the box, when I pull the inverters out is when I realized, the box of the UL listed one is about one inch longer, since I got them on separate shippings, I didn’t have them stacked, otherwise I would have realized, I mean, so far they were pretty good with responses about the inventory and shipping issues, it’s just that to my luck I found out about this after hours on a Friday and here we are in the weekend, have to wait until Monday for an answer.

Best of luck working with the vendor for the order mix up, mind sharing the name?

There’s quite a few that are certified on Amazon.

i saw a video where a guy took the cover off both and the guts appeared to be nearly identical on both models. seems they only changed a few minor things (as you mentioned) for the UL. typically, the UL is $100 more, so you should get it if you paid for it.

I just clicked on the first four Victron sellers and all had the full 30 day Amazon guarantee(Amazon support).
Amazon takes this very very seriously that sellers adhere to this. Even if you purchase something by mistake you can return it, just don’t do this too often as you can get bumped/black listed.
Even though sometimes something is a bit more expensive, it’s pretty worry free. If you have a problem with the product, use the talk to seller feature to work it out. It this doesn’t, contact customer service and the first thing that Amazon customer services does is look at the messages. I almost felt sorry for one seller that screwed up after services intervened. Note not all merchants on “Free Amazon support” so always check for this before purchasing.

i saw a video where a guy took the cover off both and the guts appeared to be nearly identical on both models. seems they only changed a few minor things (as you mentioned) for the UL. typically, the UL is $100 more, so you should get it if you paid for it.
My understanding from CurrentConnected is that the ventilation has been improved…

Regardless of Amazon return policies and support, for bigger items such as this I go to the vendor directly. I chose Current Connected to buy this (UL) inverter, they programmed it to my specs and updated the firmware prior to shipment. Worth it in my opinion. They have a great reputation as far as I can tell.

My understanding from CurrentConnected is that the ventilation has been improved…

it was actually CC's video doing the comparison. the only difference he saw was the wiring compartment, vent hole size and a capacitor switch to the other side of a board.

Regardless of Amazon return policies and support, for bigger items such as this I go to the vendor directly. I chose Current Connected to buy this (UL) inverter, they programmed it to my specs and updated the firmware prior to shipment. Worth it in my opinion. They have a great reputation as far as I can tell.
You’re in good hands then - I’ll be shocked if you discover you did not get the new UL-Listed model if you paid the higher price for that..,

it was actually CC's video doing the comparison. the only difference he saw was the wiring compartment, vent hole size and a capacitor switch to the other side of a board.
That’s what I was referring to (only remembered the change in vent hole size).

That’s what I was referring to (only remembered the change in vent hole size).

yea, i think he said the size was changed to make them small enough to pass UL, i don't think it had anything to do w/ improved ventilation, though i could be wrong!

I would imagine for UL it would be something about safety. Probably smaller holes which make it harder for things to get pushed in.

They would be my only exception to Amazon. Pretty good customer service. Edit; Watts247 has been very good to me too.

Back