diy solar

diy solar

My EverExceed off grid house system in Costa Rica

Larry12

This is my system: 48 volt (four 12 volt EverExceed 150Ah lead acid batteries, EverExceed MPPT charge controller, one 3000 watt EverExceed inverter, four 200 watt solar panels with 8 square meters total.
I have been very happy in general. Parts cost $6000 in 2021. It powers 120 volt: LED lights, refrigerator, washing machine,
Point of service shower-head hot water heater on low setting (with refrigerator turned off to prevent the otherwise inevitable tripping of the invertor cut out/alarm). As well as running blender, phone chargers etc. I did shut it off when a hair dryer ran batteries down to 49 volts, and asked my wife to quit with the hair dryer. It is normally running with batteries at 52-55 volts. I can run a rice cooker also.

That is the specs on my charge controller. I am still hunting for the specs on my 3000 watt pure sine wave inverter.

I am going to repost this in equipment reviews along with the photos. I think a lot of people don't know EverExceed exists, and their equipment is top notch. They now have LiFePo4 all in one integrated systems with mppt controller and inverter all for really good prices.

It came as a kit from El Electrico in San Jose Costa Rica. Someone else wired it. El Electrico came out and inspected it, and said it is done right. Some bus bars would look nicer. The extra 2 feet of wire per connection is null in terms of effect on the system I am thinking, though I am a newbie so correct me if I am wrong. The wire is very hefty, not sure what number.

Mr Ohm (yes, that really was his name) would disagree there.
Just how much effect it would have depends upon the cable size, 3kW @ 48V is around 60A from your batteries.
The wires are fat, any fatter and they won't fit in my charge controller, and I have heard EverExceed MPPT charge controllers are very large. I would like to clean it up with buss bars. Not sure where to buy stock. What dimensions do I look for?

Just use short (12") 2AWG or larger cables between the batteries, you can connect to buss bars on each end so batteries can be added in series parallel, with the bars connected to the SCC.

Thanks Hogheaven. I would have to remake my cable ends if I do that. I don't know how to do that without buying a connector tool. Probably easier to make buss bars.

Last edited:
Purchase a hydraulic crimper off amazon (your going to need this in the long run anyways) and some ends to go on the cable. Easy to make.

This is the one I use but this particular link shows currently unavailable so you will need to find one like it if you want to go that large. The larger the crimper the easier the ends are to make.

This crimper is another one I have that will work fine but is meant for lighter work :

So when I go to disconnect to do this, it is always disconnect the panels first, then the inverter, then the batteries, correct?

Yes, batteries first on when connecting, last off when disconnecting.

diy solar

diy solar
Back