diy solar

diy solar

My Experience with a Daly Smart BMS / BT

Mind providing a link to the studs you purchased?
Here is a link to the ones I purchased.

Matching nuts:

I just finished hooking up a 300 A Daly smart bms with BLue Tooth interface to a iphone.
I ordered this BMS from the Daly Store. It installed easy and worked out of the box.
There are so many options for communications I believe each one has a different firmware set.
So carefully look at the different configurations on Ali-express. I also ordered the BT module ($4) on the same order. The configuration is easy and i will post the config screens in the next couple of days. The low temperature cut off works and can be set from below freezing to well above.
I am only building a 2000 watt system but like all things electronic from China, there ratings are over esatated, Buy big/ build smaller.
Hi Varney1241.
I have a similar cells. I would like to to buy the same smart bms you have.
Can you please post a link.
Thanks

I just got one and I'm stumped! I have all the connections hooked up except the final step AFTER activation of hooking up the B- lie to the negative pole. It says to activate by charging.. Charging how? Charging thru the BMS or just hooking a charger to the battery pack? Does it need to charge for a while or see a voltage spike? My pack is at 14.4V. The bluetooth just shows a screen with "Device name" but nothing else or no things to set or select.
Anyone have any ideas or got this to work?

Charging through the BMS, doesn't need to be much, just an amp or two. As soon as you do, the BMS app screen will show a new detected device to connect too. Here are some quick photos showing two pins you can short to activate the BMS without charging, and also where various interfaces plug in.

Daly_USB_Reset.jpg
Daly_Bluetooth_Temperature.jpg

I just got one and I'm stumped! I have all the connections hooked up except the final step AFTER activation of hooking up the B- lie to the negative pole. It says to activate by charging.. Charging how? Charging thru the BMS or just hooking a charger to the battery pack? Does it need to charge for a while or see a voltage spike? My pack is at 14.4V. The bluetooth just shows a screen with "Device name" but nothing else or no things to set or select.
For me when I read this 'feature' I got confused: I understand this: when the battery is fully charged, you should not connect the BMS, you can only install it on a somehow discharged version.
I must say I don't understand why one would design this feature. Why is not just connecting the battery enough to start the BMS. And what does 'activate' mean in this context?

For me when I read this 'feature' I got confused: I understand this: when the battery is fully charged, you should not connect the BMS, you can only install it on a somehow discharged version.
I must say I don't understand why one would design this feature. Why is not just connecting the battery enough to start the BMS. And what does 'activate' mean in this context?
The bluetooth module (and the BMS itself) consume power when active. Using the software you can change the timeout value and always have the bluetooth active. I can only guess, but likely they set the defaults to consume as little power as possible so they get fewer complaints about draining batteries while idle. Certainly when low cell voltage disconnect occurs, you don't want the BMS to continue to drain the battery just to tell you the voltage is too low.

I forgot to add, it will also wake up if you give it a load, not just charging.

Thank you for the Chinese to English Translation.
Do I short the pins with the entire system connected (no load yet) or leave the P Blue off until it lights up?
I've only tried it with everything hooked up, so I can't tell you if it works without everything hooked up.

Well, after trying everything I can and testing voltages, it might as well be a rock. I even switched out the BMS to another new unit. Still nothing. Shorted the pins, put a charge voltage on it, put a load on it.. Still nothing.
Do you have the sense leads hooked up correctly? What model do you have?

Ok, just got it to activate. Sheesh! Daly should put an LED or something on this. I checked all the leads for continuity and voltages to each cell. All good. Then I plugged in the BMS sense connector. THEN I put a charge voltage thru the BMS B- and battery + and THEN I shorted the two pins next to "monitor" . Phone immediately showed the BMS on the screen. Now, what is the BMS passcode?

An LED would consume more power, I'd vote for just including a reset button.

The bluetooth module (and the BMS itself) consume power when active. Using the software you can change the timeout value and always have the bluetooth active. I can only guess, but likely they set the defaults to consume as little power as possible so they get fewer complaints about draining batteries while idle. Certainly when low cell voltage disconnect occurs, you don't want the BMS to continue to drain the battery just to tell you the voltage is too low.
ok: I understand from your reply 'activate' here is allowing the bluetooth module to communicate with the BMS; so it is not the BMS to be activated but the bluetooth part of the BMS. That makes sense ;-).

Thanks for you help on this and your clarity of explanations. You mentioned the bluetooth time out? How is this set? I see on setting inn cell characteristics that is "Sleep Waiting Time". Is this it and how do you set it to never time out? Zero seconds? Does this affect the BMS shutting off at any time after it was "activated"?
I think you have to use the PC software to change that setting, it isn't in the bluetooth app.

Post in thread 'Daly (?) 200a 12v 4s Smart BMS (with Bluetooth) from Ali...' https://diysolarforum.com/threads/d...bms-with-bluetooth-from-ali.17626/post-209396

I'm wrong, it is in the cell characteristics settings page.
Post in thread 'DALY Lifepo4 4S 12v 100A BMS problem' https://diysolarforum.com/threads/daly-lifepo4-4s-12v-100a-bms-problem.14298/post-160509

One of your cells reached the high cell disconnect voltage. It should still allow you to discharge but not charge.

For the people who buy the threaded rods to repair a stripped terinal, tapping new thread isn't difficult but you need to have a special tap set for blind taps.

You can not use a true-hole tap, as it's tapered at start.

Additional safety to prevent striping can be locking agent or epoxy like jdweld.
The last one is stronger, but takes a lot more time to prepare, apply and clean.

I have Daly smart 100amp. I am happy with its functionality so far. Have confirmed LVD, HVD, LTD. Bluetooth occasionally has to be disconnected to reset connection, but that seems to be becoming less frequent for some reason. The reason I came to the forum today was this. My phone recently informed me that my monitoring app was tracking my location. Did I want to revoke location tracking? I did disable location 'always' and suddenly the app wont connect to my bms! It wont even show the bms as being present. I re-enabled location 'while using app' and the connection was once again offered, and all is well. Is there any legit reason why a bluetooth device MUST have my location to function? Seems a little invasive. I don't like the idea of a Chinese company tracking me. Do other BMS systems require location tracking? Thanks.

I bought the 150 with seperate port. Finaly its arrived, but there is no port for the bleutooth dongle ?!
There is a plastic cap or something where the port should be. Tried to remove it without damaging but that seems impossible..
View attachment 34562
In the attached pic, the lead with the white stress-relief is the one that connects to the bluetooth.

Attachments

• 20210330_102313_HDR.jpg
    20210330_102313_HDR.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 18
I have one correction my Bms is a 200 A model.
Hi Varney, hello from Idaho! I'm trying to get my Daly BMS 'diff temp protect' up from 15 C. Anything special you did? Or does it even need to change? Thanks, Jerome

Last edited:
I bought the 150 with seperate port. Finaly its arrived, but there is no port for the bleutooth dongle ?!
There is a plastic cap or something where the port should be. Tried to remove it without damaging but that seems impossible..
View attachment 34562
If equipped with the ports than you can see the white connectors. No need to remove anything.
My Daly Smart BMS just looks like the diagram sheet you have. You may have received a different or incorrect model.

Bluetooth is not yet active if it only says "Device name". You can apply a charge voltage or start it with the light board. You can also hook up a momentary switch to the proper pins to get it started. After it starts working you can increase the timeout value to "65535s" keep the Bluetooth working.

Bluetooth is not yet active if it only says "Device name". You can apply a charge voltage or start it with the light board. You can also hook up a momentary switch to the proper pins to get it started. After it starts working you can increase the timeout value to "65535s" keep the Bluetooth working.

Back