diy solar

diy solar

My first setup. Is it wired correctly? Is perfectly balanced charging real?

BigCharlie

solar-diagram-v2.jpg
EDIT: I forgot to add that I'll have a battery isolator switch between the panels and controller. And thinking about putting another one between the battery fuse OCPD1 and the bank.

Is this kosher?

This is to power my computers on a day-to-day basis (50W-150W 120V x 5-8 hours) with a little extra storage for blackouts. I didn't design it off of 'need requirements' but off of 'what I can do in the space available.' I don't have the panel space to power the entire apartment. I realize the components are outsized for this application I'll reuse them in a future project.

Panels get equal sun.

First off, I don't know what to think about the shore charger. I'm thinking it might need to be connected directly to the batteries, same posts as the 2/0 going to the buses. I'll have the charger top-off the batteries overnight.

I don't plan on there being any draw off of the inverter overnight. If there is (say 100W), would there be an issue with the charger and inverter running at the same time?

Also, I saw this guy's blog post he calls Perfectly Balanced Charging. What do you think about this? Is this the best practice?

https://www.impactbattery.com/blog/post/how-to-charge-marine-and-rv-batteries-in-parallel

Screenshot from 2022-06-01 20-25-31.png

Last edited:
Looks good to me.

if your charger and inverter are running at the same time, small scale, like you said (100w), you’ll be wasting a little energy to heat, but not enough to worry about, IMO.

the balanced charging looks good too.

will you be running the systems 24/7 on the inverter?

Looks good to me.

if your charger and inverter are running at the same time, small scale, like you said (100w), you’ll be wasting a little energy to heat, but not enough to worry about, IMO.

the balanced charging looks good too.

will you be running the systems 24/7 on the inverter?

I'm not planning on it. Computer time is around 9a-10p shutting down and turning off the inverter when not in use. The charging window 11p-6:00a.

I might have a reason to use the computers in the charging window.

I'm not planning on it. Computer time is around 9a-10p shutting down and turning off the inverter when not in use. The charging window 11p-6:00a.

I might have a reason to use the computers in the charging window.
I guess my only other thought is that it sounds like you’ll be charging LA batteries in an indoor space. I hope not, they off-gas.

seems that you’ll have real stable power for the systems. I like your avatar. Lol. Let’s hope not!

I would put a small in-line fuse on the small red B+ wire feeding the Victron shunt in case the electronics in the shunt shorted out.

Yes, you need to go with a battery connection configuration like shown in the "Perfectly Balanced Charging". What you have in your diagram is not balanced. His is. There is a thread in the general discussion subforum where the math for why certain connections points are better than others.

There is also the Wiring Unlimited document that goes through a few different battery connection scenarios.

Back