diy solar

diy solar

my small off grid solar shed

pellicle

retired ex-professional dingbat
Hi

I have been planning this for some time and now its come together.

AVvXsEiozH4fLeMJdtpbdUDgwyU-dZnkKNItm8-gPrQkrdUIUt9tjxdAlS2aC12Xz4UJcmTGeInpySMUlCKVnCiy60Impcuonz3c2Yf__TNumCRI01myeJBWxzmjxSax4KIPHbm8HWYu86rQxPlhmmluSTgppykygFxO1eGd-TCXiw-mdJDuyGcDqxNWW8_jVg=s2048

the inside parts

AVvXsEicfrF9Q-QwHlUni_xGSaJ50dXJlla4cfTvrjYHoiq1LSKgxoF0c_qvsImqrnsYpyivE-JwTMEHfohm9ISBQbaTcxjc1tguwFwaCKCY1pkwnRFzPxrL37NM9Oy6_jrDSEdT3nV4cvWYemFt1dbGIloQlUU5UwE-UUHI9F2K3Lrf8sg13tNJpxlYgCWW3g=s3179

the major components for this are:
  • 250W panel (32v) = $20
  • MPPT solar charge controller = $40
  • 2x RC95 lead acid car batteries @$90 = $180
  • 2000W (4000peak) inverter = $240
  • sundry wiring
and more full details on my blog for those interested

*note: not selling anything there, no links to any purchase locations, just the descriptions.

I hope this gives anyone thinking of dipping in a finger some good inspiration.

Last edited:
The car batteries should work okay if you're mainly using your shed during the day time, they're not really durable when it comes to cycling more than a 10% depth of discharge.

The car batteries should work okay if you're mainly using your shed during the day time, they're not really durable when it comes to cycling more than a 10% depth of discharge.
Agreed, the details backing my decision are in the blog post.

There will likely be some experiments occurring too ?

Agreed, the details backing my decision are in the blog post.

There will likely be some experiments occurring too ?
From the looks of your blog you've been experimenting for quite some time. Nice bat cave you made for the bat save, a decade ago. (y)

My only thoughts are about heat degradation of output being so closely mounted to a hot tin roof.

Not only are the panels getting overly hot during the summer, but the bypass diodes in the junction box on the back can also be cooking.

If you can, I'd at least see if you can angle it more and get a few more inches higher on the panels to allow for heat dissapation. Possibly drill a few holes in the aluminum top edge to allow for heat to escape if you can't angle them higher.

Back