diy solar

diy solar

My SPD caused a fire hazard? what is the cause?

Others have observed same, even got a shock from it.
The architecture may have a high voltage rail that PV feeds and inverter operates from. Slight leakage resistance could present high voltage at the terminals but hopefully low current.

If you connected an incandescent light bulb from the terminal to ground, you might find it pulls voltage to zero (because very little current is sourced.)

When working on it, need to shut off inverter, ideally disconnect all power sources (battery, PV, grid or generator) and measure voltage, wait until it has discharged before touching anything.

I wondered if SPD could see PV negative biased up to that 189 VDC and PV positive biased to 189 VDC + PV voltage, which could be excessive relative to ground. But I don't think circuit adding those voltages together makes sense. Still, you never know, which is why I suggested connecting (replacement) parts with SPD not included and check voltages.

But ... the failure happened at night, so no PV voltage present! Only source of energy to blow up SPD and start a fire is battery and inverter? Or is grid present?

An SPD can take spikes, meant to absorb and dissipate brief transients. Limited number of Joules (watt seconds). If over-stressed, or maybe just after many hits, they can be damaged and short out. It is possible that inductive switching transients send spikes down the line. Your MPPT would not have been operating at night (I don't think) but inverter could have some coupling to it. Have access to an oscilloscope to look at those terminals? MPPT has inductor, inverter has inductor, and switching circuit will cause voltage transients. If they spike high they could keep hitting the SPD.

I finally stopped procrastinating and ordered a quantity of the following.
My grid AC input has a large SPD system. PV input, some model inverter had them but other similar models did not. I will connect three of these MOV in a delta configuration and put wires into PV+, PV-, Ground terminals for each inverter.
This MOV includes a thermal disconnect (maybe PTC fuse?) and they caution against overheating during soldering. They have a lead connected between MOV and PTC, which could be connected to LED indicators, providing "Protected" and "Failed" indicators like the Midnight SPD have. That is better because you can observe LED color at a glance. I'll just leave them accessible to connect DMM test leads. I don't expect a near lightning strike, not so common in my area. But maybe the next Carrington event creating a voltage across the loop formed by my PV string, it will protect against.

Data sheet says, "Notes: Average power dissipation of transients should not exceed 1.5 watts."
In other words, it can dissipate 1.5W as heat. Deposited energy (Joules) has to be infrequent enough to allow cooling off. If a switching supply operating at a few hundred Hz or kHz keep hitting it with spikes, it could gradually heat up then fail.

Also, can take 20,000A but graphs show a single 20,000A transient lasting 20 microseconds, or fifteen 10,000A transients lasting 20 microseconds is all it can take before wear-out.

It looks to me that there is sustain and strong enough power source that keeps the MOV hot to catch on fire.
If you can I like to see if you put 100W or so 240V incandescent lamp in place of the SPD and run the setup in the same condition at night while keeping watch all the time to see what will happen.

Last edited:
Also, SPDs of this type should not be trusted to open the circuit when overheating, see this (video is of an AC SPD, but same applies to DC SPD):
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with the SPD that burned.
Here is another video which shows a similar device. I wonder if there are any good ones out there, or only this crap which does not disconnect.

With this behavior, one can skip these SPD completely.

Clearly some current flowing when/where it shouldn't be, that needs to be sorted out.

Now that being said, I would urge you to not cheap out on protection devices (i.e. fuses, breakers, disconnects, and SPD, etc..) Use quality reputable brands here. What good are protection devices if they don't work, or worse yet burn your place down.

My question is this now. I checked other inverters such as powmr another model and growatt SPF5000es. both inverter PV in PV+ to ground and pv- to ground has voltage. this is when there is not PV voltage. the SPD also same happening. I have attached the way he did wiring too.
all grounds are connected. could it possible that DC spd is drawing back AC current from the AC spd ground site due to grounding. the SPD was overheated so as many people has explained here. there's no surge instead there is some sort of constant current heating the SPD.
SPD heating shouldn't even happened in the first stage.The installer used 32A Fuse and 63A DC breaker. which is very unprofessional. there was supposed to safely protect but they couldn't.
I have checked with powmr factory. they said their inverter has anti back flow on the PV in.
I have heard that some SPD brand has continuity problem too. I will check that SPD brand too.

PV inputs to MPPT controllers have capacitors. They can hold charge even after the PV is disconnected. Ideally there would be bleed resistors, but not to say all manufactures would build these in.

Hope he returns or someone contacts him!
To me this looks like a faulty Inverter, somehow back feeding into the PV array.
Could be AC or high Voltage DC as someone suggested.

To me this looks like a faulty Inverter, somehow back feeding into the PV array.
This seems the most likely. A failed mosfet or IGBT in the bridge could cause this. But the local electrician will have issues to figure this out.
There was no report of what voltage has been measured in the dark on the SPD.

DIN rail boxes are clean and convenient but they are PVC. I’ll be looking into steel enclosures and mount the DIN rail breakers, fuses and SPD within.

Last week i've ordered some of these PVC enclosures. But somehow i decided to return them back and ordered 2,5 times more expensive, not so good looking, but 100% metal enclosures. And now i see this post!! Look's like i made a good choice.

To the post author: lucky you, that your inverters and whole system did not burned. Go for metal !

Back