diy solar

diy solar

My tilt up panel install...

Sprks

Pleased with how this turned out. Wanted the benefits of tilt up for cleaning both the panel and under as well as improved panel efficiency. 85lb gas struts are just right for lift and support. Jam cleat/line for tilt adjustability and to allow some panel cooling on a very hot day, which i can do from the ground. Sought a low profile set up with some protection, no wind noise and you cant even see the panel from the ground. L track allows bolting on of other things, like unistrut as i do have need of carrying lumber, kyak and other gear. Just begining my electrical final. Yes, i
used wood as wood is what i know. Teak wood so it will last longer than the van will...
IMG_3597.jpegIMG_3593.jpegIMG_3594.jpegIMG_3598.jpegIMG_3599.jpegIMG_3601.jpegIMG_3602.jpegIMG_3604.jpeg

That is very nice. I like the rope to secure it.

Especially in the winter months, panel production could double, with some of that producing earlier and later than the flat panels.

Nice setup. I assume the gas struts lift the panel up. The cable triples as a way to set the tilt height, a way to pull it back down, and to help with wind coming from behind the panel while raised. I like that you can lock it down in place while driving. The only issue I can think of is a gust coming from the face side while raised could slam it back down. I guess that depends on the strength of the struts vs the wind gust. A trip to Wyoming would be a good test :)

I did mine like this with a power actuator, the rod will lock/unlock it automatically. There is a saddle at the rear with a hole in it where the rod goes thru. I can determine if it is locked down from the ground. One actuator on each side. Eventually the roof air comes off and 2 more panels will be installed in the middle. I didn't want to climb up there as I get older.

You did a nice job, simple, gets the job done and easily bolted down in high winds with the 2 bolts that should be easy to reach with a short ladder. Angle is adjustable depending on location and time of the year. Teak is great to work with, I have it in my shower for a mat and a false floor when the shower isn't being used.
Tilting solar panels.jpg

Nice setup. I assume the gas struts lift the panel up. The cable triples as a way to set the tilt height, a way to pull it back down, and to help with wind coming from behind the panel while raised. I like that you can lock it down in place while driving. The only issue I can think of is a gust coming from the face side while raised could slam it back down. I guess that depends on the strength of the struts vs the wind gust. A trip to Wyoming would be a good test :)
Thanks. Those gas struts are pressurized throughout the stroke, so wind would have to continually push. I wouldn't have it up in a windy situation...

May I ask how you go abut choosing the gas struts to make sure they are strong enough to keep the panel up? How are they rated?

I did a lot of googling, guessing, mock ups and back of the napkin engineering.... i found these helpful pointers...

Screen Shot 2022-02-15 at 6.06.36 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-02-15 at 6.06.49 PM.png

Nice setup. ... A trip to Wyoming would be a good test :)
U funny guy rmaddy. ?

Pleased with how this turned out. Wanted the benefits of tilt up for cleaning both the panel and under as well as improved panel efficiency. 85lb gas struts are just right for lift and support. Jam cleat/line for tilt adjustability and to allow some panel cooling on a very hot day, which i can do from the ground. Sought a low profile set up with some protection, no wind noise and you cant even see the panel from the ground. L track allows bolting on of other things, like unistrut as i do have need of carrying lumber, kyak and other gear. Just begining my electrical final. Yes, i
used wood as wood is what i know. Teak wood so it will last longer than the van will...

I don't think they allow Teak in Wyoming. Man what I wouldn't give for a parts list. ?
That is cool. I need something like that on my enclosed trailer.

I like that, ive tried to get a linear actuator to raise mine but that looks so simple and easy i might give up, i have loads of gas struts in the garage (y)

I like that, ive tried to get a linear actuator to raise mine but that looks so simple and easy i might give up, i have loads of gas struts in the garage (y)
When I first made my setup, I made the hinges and planned on adding linear actuators later. Then I decided I maybe should order the actuators and ensure I had enough clearance, plus I needed to make the saddle and decided the actuator would be mounted to the saddle. About 2 months had passed by after I had fabbed up some hinges.

I made the saddle, completed the mounting of the actuator, then tried raising it. It didn't quite work, I noticed the point where it would start to raise was just too much to overcome. Then it hit me, the hinges I made had the pivot too high before I ever had the actuators. I had to rework the pivot lower, I went as low as I could go, shown here in this photo. Worked like charm.

Even if you use struts, the hinge pivot will need to be low enough.

Tilting solar panel mechanism.jpg.

When I first made my setup, I made the hinges and planned on adding linear actuators later. Then I decided I maybe should order the actuators and ensure I had enough clearance, plus I needed to make the saddle and decided the actuator would be mounted to the saddle. About 2 months had passed by after I had fabbed up some hinges.

I made the saddle, completed the mounting of the actuator, then tried raising it. It didn't quite work, I noticed the point where it would start to raise was just too much to overcome. Then it hit me, the hinges I made had the pivot too high before I ever had the actuators. I had to rework the pivot lower, I went as low as I could go, shown here in this photo. Worked like charm.

Even if you use struts, the hinge pivot will need to be low enough.

View attachment 88940.
Why is the strut so close to the hinge?

Why is the strut so close to the hinge?
I wanted to run the locking mechanism auto, that is the long stainless rod. In order to do that without a complicated mechanism to reverse direction to unlock the rod, it has to run this way. If you use a short actuator that mainly lifts vertical, you wont get the throw for the locking rod, and not the desired direction.

Another reason was I wanted to be able to tilt as much as 90 degrees so the panels are vertical. This allows cleaning under the panels and room to move around up there for repairs such as working on the roof air (which I will be removing in the future).

There is plenty of power in the actuators to raise the panels, that isn't an issue. The leverage needed depends on the location of the hinge pivot, you want it as low as you can get it.

View attachment 88724View attachment 88722View attachment 88723View attachment 88725View attachment 88726View attachment 88727View attachment 88728View attachment 88729
Can you use gas struts on both ends so you can tilt in both directions

View attachment 88724View attachment 88722View attachment 88723View attachment 88725View attachment 88726View attachment 88727View attachment 88728View attachment 88729
Very cool

Back