diy solar

diy solar

Near Real Time Sol-Ark 12K Monitoring

I use a $35 Wyze pointed at the screen....

Cheap and eazy.....
You will void your warranty on the screen itself if you dont have it set to automatically turn off the display after a few minutes. The display is dark unless you touch it o make it come on, that is, if you're using a Sol-Ark. Good simple idea for camera, but I don't plan to leave my Sol-Arks screen on 100% of the time.

Custom Integration available for Home Assistant gives step by step instructions on how to integrate your SolArk into Home Assistant.

I have mine setup for 10 second updates and control many things in my home using the wealth of information I get from the inverter.

https://github.com/pbix/HA-solark-PV

Integration into the Home Assistant Energy Dashboard is super easy. Example partial display below:

Energy.jpg

Last edited:
You will void your warranty on the screen itself if you dont have it set to automatically turn off the display after a few minutes. The display is dark unless you touch it o make it come on, that is, if you're using a Sol-Ark. Good simple idea for camera, but I don't plan to leave my Sol-Arks screen on 100% of the time.
I had to turn down the screen lighting and increase the contrast to get the camera to see my Midnight SCC screen in all lighting conditions. Is backlight just turned off or the whole screen blank?

Sol-Ark screens are set to turn off after X number of seconds. The time is adjustable. You can turn the feature off where the screen stays on all the time but it's stated in the manual if you leave it on all the time, it will void the warranty on the screen if your screen somehow ever breaks or gets burned in from being on all the time. Not sure if it gets burned in or would die prematurely, but either way its stated that its best to use the "auto off" (or whatever its called) feature on so the screen blanks out. I think I have mine set to 2 minutes and then it blanks out. To turn it back on , you have to touch the screen.

I wouldn't say sneaky, they are pretty clear about it. Sneaky would be having a part fail, you call on the warranty and they have some excuse as to why something is not covered. I think they probably had a few screens get "burned in" (ghost image appearing), or maybe even failing pre-maturely so they had to put in something to cover or protect the screen. I like the auto dim feature and I would use it even if they didnt mention the thing about the warranty. You don't have to worry about screen "burn in" as much as you had to back in the old CRT days of computer monitors. I imagine they just had a number of screens start failing because they were left on 100% of the time.

They could program the firmware to always turn off after 2 minutes regardless, with no choice of time or on/off.

I didn't say that I didn't believe it.
I said that it's "odd".
Maybe I should have said "sneaky".
I just don’t think they want to replace a bunch of screens because people left them on.

Wonder if MPP replaces there’s under warranty or Deye?

I just don’t think they want to replace a bunch of screens because people left them on.
I'm 100% sure that's the reason.
But the fact that they void your warranty, for using a setting that exists in the firmware. Just confirms the fact, that they don't have anything to do with the firmware.

I would personally be okay if they removed the DIM feature and just hard-coded the screen to go blank after 4 minutes. No checkbox, no slider. My PC, my phone and my tablet and the TV in my living room all go blank after X number of minutes unused.

Thanks everyone for this thread! Got my Sol-Ark 8k working with SolarAssistant, been so nice to just check my phone to see how my system is doing rather than running to garage every hour. Plus I was able to easily hookup the MQTT message broker to my HomeAssistant for other automation purposes (like when I have excess power generation I have it turn on a heater that warms my garage and my water heater).

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-04-20 at 10.46.43 AM.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-04-20 at 10.46.43 AM.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Sol-ark is just a rebranded Deye inverter. Which is a Chinese inverter manufacturer. That's why it's monitoring app is a Chinese app.
Sol-Ark actually isnt just a rebranded Deye, I know Sol-Ark did much of the design work for their inverters and I think I have even seen Deye give substantial credit to Sol-Ark for the design, manufacturing procedures, and material selection. My current understanding is that Sol-Ark has exclusive rights in the North and South American markets, but it sounds more like a co-engineered system than just a white label type bull shit that most companies do. As far as the protocols others of you are asking about in this thread I could not tell you if they work any different.

Sol-Ark has exclusive rights in the North and South American markets,
Yes
They asked for those rights, from Deye.
Possibly, some money was also involved.
But, since Sol-Ark was already selling the majority in those markets. It wasn't hard to convince Deye to agree to it.
Probably a smart business move for both parties.

Thanks everyone for this thread! Got my Sol-Ark 8k working with SolarAssistant, been so nice to just check my phone to see how my system is doing rather than running to garage every hour. Plus I was able to easily hookup the MQTT message broker to my HomeAssistant for other automation purposes (like when I have excess power generation I have it turn on a heater that warms my garage and my water heater).
That’s Cool!!
Not heard of the MQTT message broker before. How does it work with Home assistant to tell the Inverter to dump excess to the water heater??

BTW love the Moniker!

Not sure this is a good comparison or not, but a lot of new cars come with various parts from other manufacturers. I know some of the Honda Pilots came with Chrysler transmissions in them from the factory. Honda didn't have time to build a 9 speed for the Elite models so they got theirs from Chrysler. I don't see any problem with Sol-Ark and Deye as long as its like you said, an agreement and they both know and keep their places and stay in their lanes. Hondas warranty backed the Chrysler transmissions just like they would have if it were a Honda transmission. It seems that's how business is done these days with globalization. I don't agree with it all but some stuff if done correctly, just makes sense.

Back