diy solar

diy solar

Sol-Ark 12K Battery Backup Solution Diagram

JJC3

Community,
I could use your help and expertise in reviewing a solution I would like to install. I'm not having success with Sol-Ark to review my drawing other than a brief call with a support person that said I can't configure it this way because I am causing a loop to the Grid feed on the Sol-Ark. I don't think he was understanding the interlock configuration being proposed. Operating assumptions are in the document, but my expectation is that All 240V breakers would be off prior to turning on the back feed interlock breakers.
Definite beginner here and will have a licensed electrician perform the work once I have a solid design. Thank you...

Attachments

• Sol-Ark 12K Draft Wiring Diagram.pdf
    176.5 KB · Views: 35
Does the 12k support 200A pass-thru? Unless its been upgraded, the 15K is the model with the 200A transfer switch built in??

The design doesn't work if you are expecting the inverter to support both panel A and panel B. You can't feed Grid AC In from the same panel that is being powered by the inverter. Even if you are OK with panel A being on grid while only panel B is supported by the inverter, you still would need a secondary interlock on panel A to prevent the inverter line and load breakers being on at the same time. You could probably rig something up but its too complicated.

Why do you need a 200A disconnect for panel B if there is an interlock installed? It would be better to substitute the disconnect for a 200A double throw safety switch and feed utility power directly into the 12K (15K) grid input.

One option would be to remove the grid input from panel A and do a supply/service side tap before one of the panels, and connect to the grid input thru a dedicated 60amp fused disconnect, or enclosed circuit breaker.

You could just remove the "load" connection to panel A and transfer any loads you want backed up to panel B.

I've never seen a triple-interlock, which you would need to prevent the SolArk grid and load outputs from being connected.

I agree with Bentley, no need for the disconnect with interlocked breakers feeding panel B. If you put one anywhere, it should be in the circuit connected to the SolArk grid input. Then you only need a 60 A disconnect, way cheaper. Although my utility was happy with just being UL1741 compliant I installed a disconect.

I've never seen a triple-interlock, which you would need to prevent the SolArk grid and load outputs from being connected.
I don't think that anyone makes a triple interlock for residential panels.
You have to use two. A slider for a main and a toggle for the input/output.

Does the 12k support 200A pass-thru? Unless its been upgraded, the 15K is the model with the 200A transfer switch built in??

The design doesn't work if you are expecting the inverter to support both panel A and panel B. You can't feed Grid AC In from the same panel that is being powered by the inverter. Even if you are OK with panel A being on grid while only panel B is supported by the inverter, you still would need a secondary interlock on panel A to prevent the inverter line and load breakers being on at the same time. You could probably rig something up but its too complicated.

Why do you need a 200A disconnect for panel B if there is an interlock installed? It would be better to substitute the disconnect for a 200A double throw safety switch and feed utility power directly into the 12K (15K) grid input.
My understanding is the 12K does not support 200A pass-thru. The Inverter would only be providing power to the panels when utility grid power is unavailable, and the interlock breakers were turned on. The main breaker on each panel would have to be off and locked.
The 200A disconnect is already in-place, I believe this is a code requirement for a split-installation where the second panel is at the other end of the property.
I am attempting to have a manual cutover and not have to install a critical loads panel. With an automatic failover, I'm concerned that I could overload the inverter's capacity with large-draw equipment and appliances.

Last edited:
I believe there are interlocks that will block the main breaker and one other breaker as well. Good idea, I will take a look.

Back