diy solar

diy solar

Need Advice on what to get next

Surfsolar

Im in the process of getting all the materials for my first system for my van. I’ve been watching Will’s videos for a couple months now and have a decent base knowledge on how everything works in a solar system. Im just dont know what configuration to do and which charge controller would be best for my setup.

I bought 2 U27-12XP Valence lithium batteries and 2 200w 12v USA solar panels from Will’s link.

My thinking of what would be best/budget is to have the solar panels in series to be able to use a cheaper charge controller, safer, more efficient. And the batteries in parallel to not have to get a external bms, ease of connecting 12v stuff, and the option for alternator charging. Is doing it like this on such a small system even worth it? Should I just keep it 12v all the way around?

I would like to get a epever 150/40 but have seen that they are difficult to program for lithium. Im not really sure which Victron charge controller would be the best option if the epever would be a hassle with the valence lithiums.

Sorry for such a long post, still just trying to wrap my head around it all. Thank you

My thinking of what would be best/budget is to have the solar panels in series to be able to use a cheaper charge controller, safer, more efficient
I'm not sure your connection topology is a good determiner for your SCC, I mean, they do have to be matched in terms of voltage and power, but it's not a good way to think about this i.e. if I connect in series, then I can get a cheap SCC.
And the batteries in parallel to not have to get a external bms, ease of connecting 12v stuff, and the option for alternator charging.
Makes sense. My rule of thumb is that if your cumulative loads are under 3,000W, a 12V battery system is generally best.
Im not really sure which Victron charge controller would be the best option if the epever would be a hassle with the valence lithiums.
Victron do make some pretty good products, SCCs among them. They actually have a SCC sizing tool available here. Unless your array is at risk of partial shading, it's generally best to connect your panels in series up to the specifications of your SCC, then connect the remaining panels in parallel. You're probably looking at their SmartSolar 100|30 (circa $226) being a good choice allowing you to easily expand your array but you could get away with their SmartSolar 75|15 (circa $88) if you're on a budget (220W max charging power).

Back