diy solar

diy solar

Need Help with Battery Selection

Joe4runner

I have a 4th gen 4runner that I use primarily for overlanding. It has a dual battery system, Optima Yellow Top house battery, Blue Sea 7623 charging relay. Also have a 30a Renogy charge controller with 2x40W solar panels. Running a 56 L SnoMaster fridge. I originally went with the Optima because of availability and it’s low hight that allowed it to be mounted under the hood (up by the passenger side firewall). Well my 2nd Optima battery just gave up the ghost. I’ve really never been happy with the Optima so I don’t really want to buy a 3rd one. I came across the Lisuateli LiFePO4 in discussion threads here and see that I can get it from Amazon (I live in Canada). It will fit in the same place as the Optina. It will not be subject to cold temperatures but will certainly feel some heat on my next trip to Mexico. I could wrap it in closed cell foam as suggested on another thread. I could also build a small fan into a battery box if overheating is is a potential issue. I would greatly appreciate your feedback on this battery option, other possible options that are available in Canada, and thoughts on heat management of the Lisuateli LiFePO4. Can anybody whose bought one lately comment on the deliver time if ordered from Amazon ?
Thanks, Joe

Last edited:
I would be very reluctant to put a LiFePO4 battery in an engine compartment. It may not be rated for exposure to the elements and the heat is going to be significant.

Second, most LiFePO4 batteries are not acceptable for cranking an engine. The BMS doesn't allow enough amps.

Back