diy solar

diy solar

Need Help with Off Grid Cabin

TNHUNTLEASECABIN

I have a 350 sq ft cabin on a VERY large hunting lease in southern TN. I have a propane generator to run my 8,000 btu AC, water heater and TV. I have a gas heater that does not require power. I have a 100 watt solar panel that I bought to maintain a lead battery. I am in the process of changing the system. I have bought two lifepo4 batteries to run in parallel with a 1,200 pure sine wave inverter. I have also bought a new solar controller. I still have only the single 100w panel. I will be using the inverter for a LED light while getting ready in the mornings and running a small fan at night. We will also use the inverter for overnight phone charges and such. MY QUESTION IS…….should I invest in more panels???

I have a 350 sq ft cabin on a VERY large hunting lease in southern TN. I have a propane generator to run my 8,000 btu AC, water heater and TV. I have a gas heater that does not require power. I have a 100 watt solar panel that I bought to maintain a lead battery. I am in the process of changing the system. I have bought two lifepo4 batteries to run in parallel with a 1,200 pure sine wave inverter. I have also bought a new solar controller. I still have only the single 100w panel. I will be using the inverter for a LED light while getting ready in the mornings and running a small fan at night. We will also use the inverter for overnight phone charges and such. MY QUESTION IS…….should I invest in more panels???

Probably, but it depends on your actual usage. "Small fan" may use a surprising amount of power. The inverter itself will consume power just by being on.

1. PV power and local solar conditions determines how much energy you can use per day.
  2. Battery capacity determines how long you can go between charges.

If your panel is optimally mounted, and it gets shadow-free exposure from sunrise to sunset, then you can use about 400-500Wh of energy per day. A 60W fan for 8h at night would be 480Wh.

YES!!! Even though you have relativley small loads you will want more than 100 watts of panels. At minimum I would get a 350 watt panel from craigslist for around 100 bucks. Also once you start having power you will find more things to use it for. I would have enough panels to charge your batteries from dead to full in 4 hours or less in good sunshine . Thats just my rule of thumb

LEDs? Here's where I buy:
REFRIGERATION?:
Engle Coolers (12v).

Back