diy solar

diy solar

New 152Ah LiFePo4 3.2 A-Grade cells for $42

BUM!!!!! I thought I had it there! Try the fine knob if you are turning the course one. On some models they got the labels mixed up. :)

I tried both all the way every way.
I even tested the resistance, and they both work perfectly.
They are not the problem

Maybe the MOSFET is?
I dunno.
I made dispute on Alibaba.
If dispute get granted and I don't have to return, I can try swapping that one.

Damn don't you just hate that!. My battery charger just beeped. Finally, my 760Ah Calb cell "pack" (my 180 calbs in parallel that were severely unblanced - no bms) are now balanced. I need to go turn them back into a 13.8V battery (and tidy up my bms leads, even though I have no bms yet!

If ya win the dispute, for sure swap out that MosFET, it'll be a cheap repair, and you'll be able to test twice as quick! :)

760Ah... 180 cells??
760:180=4.22Ah per cell.

For CALB...that is really low.
You buy second hand 10Ah cells?
I don't know if lower existing...

4x180 =720. I suck at math lol. Im just toying with my mobile pack. Its a 4s pack for radio gear.

haha yes 180Ah x 4 - the tall buggers ;)

sitting in parallel now as i shorted a bms cable some mystical way and lots of smoke from the wire. 3.525, 3.525, 3.510 and 3.525. Guess which cell i shorted. Quite spectactular :)

Anyway got a heap of these 5x JST-XH connectors so gonna crimp up another one and have a second try. The top charge on the 3 other cells should have balanced the one that decided to say "hello" ;)
IMG_0843.JPG

Last edited:
I tried both all the way every way.
I even tested the resistance, and they both work perfectly.
They are not the problem

Maybe the MOSFET is?
I dunno.
I made dispute on Alibaba.
If dispute get granted and I don't have to return, I can try swapping that one.

I had the same problem but mine worked for a short time. Turned out it didnt have any thermal compound to transfer the heat and the mosfet died....
Check if that huge mosfet is open with a ohm meter....Search for "IRFP260N". I ordered this one..

I tested the MOSFET with the diode settings on my multimeter..

It's defective.

I'll wait for the seller to have solution /refund or send back.

If I receive refund, I'll try to repair.

Should be an easy fix if you get to keep, if the mosfet is a through hole component. A solder sucker, or solder braid will make short work of it.

Lol...

Discharge test takes ages!!!

My discharge tester arrived defective, and I received full refund.
I was able to buy from local website the IRPF4768, according to a list an compatible MOSFET.
Replacement made the discharger work again, apparently not at full capacity, but still accurate.

3.2 volts discharge at 8.5 ampere..
27 watts do discharge 3.2*152=485w
+18 or 19 Hours...

(Voltage decrease when it's less charged, ampere stay the same = less watts)

The cells where not fully charged, e.g. I never get them to 3.65v

3.4v is the max reading I have after 2 hours resting, after charge..
I'm not sure for Lifepo4, lead acid you need to rest several hours before making measurements.
If you do direct after charge or discharge, you get real strange values.

The charging was done with this lab power supply, not a lifepo4 charger!
479078862-1962187134.jpg
The lab power supply is quite accurate and really provide +10A.(y)

Unlike the Gophert, who advertise with 16v and 20A but have only 5A :cry:?☹

In +16 hours I'm at 138Ah.
Quite sure it will be really close to the 152 Ah advertised.

When the BMS is here, I'm sure the charging can go all the way up to 3.65.

Did anyone else have that same experience?
That the cells at first are not fully charging?
(Atleast not up to 3.65v?)

Attachments

• IMG_20200322_104007_copy_1200x1600.jpg
    IMG_20200322_104007_copy_1200x1600.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20200322_104022_copy_1600x1200.jpg
    IMG_20200322_104022_copy_1600x1200.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Test is finished!!

IMG_20200322_120119_copy_1200x1600.jpg

IMG_20200322_120022_copy_1000x750.jpg

146.71Ah in almost 18 hours.

The cell was NOT fully charged, I got it up to 3.4 volts.

146.71 Ah is 96.5%
I guess after a few cycles it can be fully charged and have atleast it's 152Ah.

For sure not a rip-off !!

:)(y):love::giggle:

I just wont to tell you about my experience with this seller. I ordered 16 of the 152AH from this seller on 03/02/2020. But they gave me a wrong tracking number. After a few days of writing with Anny, Anny did not respond anymore to me. It was more than a week where she promised every day that she will give me a correct tracking number the next day, I now opened a dispute on Alibaba. Hopefully, I get my money back.

Sorry to hear this!!

For me things went perfectly.
The first shipment I didn't receive any number, as I was in Netherlands at that time, busy talking about changing to the 280 cells, and even closed that deal.

Apparently her colleague already shipped the 16 on Saturday...

She informed me on Monday, and we made the agreement that she'll sent 16 more 152 ah cells.

I was a little scared with that one.
It took longer then the first one (but when you are waiting it always takes longer) and really tried to get a trace number.

Apparently they work with third party transport company, and don't have that information fast.

That took 5 days..
After 4 days the package was delivered to my doorstep.
Next day I received the message about the code...

I don't know where you live.
For me relative close by, Thailand.

Even that costs twice the normal time due all Corona rules and things.
( It got here in 12 days, normally 3 to 5)

Shipped on 03-02, 3 March.
(Or ordered??)

18 days ago.

USA is normal 10-15 days with courier.
Double it due Corona, and it is within perfect time frame.

I understand that you are worried.
So was I.
So many stories about sellers deliver only half of the order....

One thing that did missed where the screws.
I asked for additional connectors, 24 instead of 16, and got them without any issues free.
But apparently they forgot to put the bag with screws inside :)

Calm down, take a deep breath.
Without tracking number the seller always will need to provide full refund.
You did not lose your money!!

Like mine order, it took time to get.
With those low prices, you need to cut some corners.
Not directly use DHL or UPS or FedEx, but use broker.
With the tiny Marges they make, the 10 USD they safe on that one is the money that makes the deal worth while!

Relax.
You did not lose any dollar.
I'm really positive that you will receive within 2 weeks!!

If you want, I can ask for you.
Sent me a PM with the name you used and order number.
Maybe together we can get the number for you.

@fhorst
Thanks for the reply. I live in Germany. Because of the Virus, I need a working tracking number to redirect the parcel. I live in Bavaria and we have a LockDown. Without a tracking number, the parcel will be delivered to my office, but there is nobody to sign for. I Talk with Anny about 2 weeks ago about a tracking number. She gave me a wrong one and then told me she would check it with here freight forwarder. But since then I never got a working tracking number. So I opened a dispute today. I will send you a PM with my order number and name maybe you can help.

Thanks for helping

Yes,

You are welcome.

Germany have lockdown like the Netherlands.
In Holland 90% if all air traffic is suspended.
I expect Germany the same.

I needed to send the #-_#-+€ stupide Gophert charger back to China or loose the $78,-
Apparently due to Corona there is only special line to China for packages.
Price $35,-
(Normally $8,-)
That was send last week Monday.
While I have tracking number, update is rubbish. No update information.

Back to the dark ages for tracking update due to Corona!

Update for the ones following..

@Cokeboy77 had contact with Anny, and apparently the shipment did not leave China yet, waiting in the queue to be shipped, as air traffic is reduced to 10%, things naturally take longer time.

For Cokeboy77 as he first received different information he was (understandable) quite upset and decided to cancel the order.

I'm sure he'll receive his money back in the next few days.

Other update...

The capacity test didn't go without damage..
That's not correct.
The test went fine.

I just was an idiot.
And charge the 152Ah at 3.65 volt, 3.5 A.
And did keep an eye on it.
Stupid.
We all "know" overcharge will damage.
Yes, apparently also with 12 watts...
It expanded.. quite a lot.

IMG_20200324_163202_copy_750x1000.jpg

I'm doing a decharge test now to see the rest capacity.

Probably order the 152ah's that Cokeboy77 cancelled (+1)
To have stable continuous energy, even on the clouded days, I need 3 x 152 in parallel.

For me delay in the delivery is not a problem.
Might even choose sea transport it it is enough cheaper.

Transport price went up due Corona.
Normal to my home 16*152 would be 165 DDap transport
That's now 205 USD.

I did order the 16 that Cokeboy77 cancelled.
It will take longer time at they are now still at the warehouse packed and labelled for Cokeboy77 .....
when they have found their way back to Haomi, she'll put in one extra (17 in total) and send to Thailand.
I got little lower price as its the last 152Ah stock (ATM), and pay a under $900 for the 17*152Ah including bus-bars, screws and DDP

Time for transport should be between 7 and 9 days.. but that's wishful thinking.
I expect them to arrive within 3 weeks, or at least have left the forwarders warehouse.
Even if it is 4 or 5 weeks, i'm sure they will arrive...... they are good quality EVE cells.
And I don't need the additional power storage yet.

I expect when the transport goes back to normal, the price of the lifepo4 will also go back to "normal"
(that was for 152Ah about 80-100 usd and for 280Ah 150-250 usd!!)
Yes, transport times may be really slow... but you do have a really low battery price for it!

Prices have gone up fro transport.
Apparently not the same for each company!

Haomi from 165 to 205 USD
Xuba from 165 to 337 USD..
(For DDP to Thailand)

Haomi
3.2V 120AH Lifepo4 Battery for $37.50 (MOQ=1)
3.2v 152Ah LiFePo4 Battery for $ 42.00 (MOQ=4) (temporary out of stock)
3.2V 280AH Lifepo4 Battery for $ 79.80 (MOQ=4)

Xuba:
3.2V 120AH Lifepo4 Battery for $36.00 (MOQ=1)
3.2v 152Ah LiFePo4 Battery for $ 43.00 (MOQ=1)
3.2v 280Ah LiFePo4 Battery for $ 82.67 (MOQ=4)

Last edited:
My last order arrived a few days ago.
17* 152Ah (16+1 to replace the one I charged wrongly)

Now the proud owner of 48 X 152 cells, they make 51.2v 456Ah lifepo4 battery,
About 22.5 KW/h usable energy (y)

I'm still preparing the final setup, but to give you an idea:

IMG_20200409_105958_copy_1000x750.jpg

I'm removing the ductape and make sets of 3 using Scotch tape.
Scotch tape have the main advantage for me that it's little elastic.
I can make tight but not too tight sets :)

I also ordered 50 headless bolts to insert as pins.
They did not arrive yet.

I'll keep you posted!

You don't want elasticity.

Cells will expand/contract with SOC changes and Higee cells aren't perfectly flat from the factory at 3.295v - the centres are slightly proud. Any allowance for movement will put pressure on the terminals. You need compression to limit movement and expansion.

I'm discharging mine and clamping together before a full charge & balance to 3.65v.

Lets agree to disagree.

As the Scotch tape is elastic, the movement will take place there where there is the least resistance.
In this situation, not the top where the terminals are located, but at the bottom.
The 3 parallel cells will expand a little to the side, but have space to do so.
The 4 strings on the long edge.... 0 to almost 0 expand/contract movement, = no stress.

My cells are build-up at +/- 85% full charge stage (3.30625v) and will not be charged over 3.4v

3.65 is dangerous maximal voltage that is better not to reach.
It's a known fact that lithium cells live longer when they are not top charged.
Charge difference is about 2% from 3.4v to 3.65v. Only 2%... unless you really, really need it... better stay in the lower range.

My cells are already at high capacity and will be little more to 3.4 when my BMS arrives.
As I made them during the "full charge" they will almost nothing more expand.
During discharge they might contract, there is room for movement.
now on the concrete floor, later on wooden plank.
unless there is a earthquake, I don't have to be afraid for any vibrations in my home / installation.

Yes, Scotch tape is not always the best solution in all installations.
Installations with much vibrations like RV or electric scooter Duct-tape can be better, or metal clamping strips, or....
there are many different options all with their own good use in their own environment.

For me, not moving home, one time placement location.
Packing the cells for parallel as set of 3 with Scotch tape is the most convenient solution for placing.
They don't need any tape or any additional support as there is no movement.
For the individual cells expand/contract... if you place them in expanded stage (full charged), there is no expand force!
Contract movement is not a problem, having a few tenth of a millimeter, or maybe a millimeter space gap between the cells is good air ventilation :)
better cooling during charging :cool:
batt.jpg

I might change the S for the 2 x 3 cells to connect.
I'm aware that it is better to make 8 shape but i don't have enough bus-bars to do so
With E shape, there are 3 bus-bars stacked, with one that need washers to stay flat.
This S shape reduces this.

I measured the voltages all ways, any direction and I could not measure difference.
I can understand that with the S shape resistance is not totally equal for each individual cell.
I could not measure the difference, my multimeter is not sensitive enough.
At 200 ohm it gives 00.1 resistance when I connect the measurement probes to each other, and it stays like this on every location between terminals.
That is start and end of the S, or any place in between, or the long line of 6 cells begin and end.
all 00.1 ohm.

I'll probably make bus-bar with 3 holes to make a nice 8 shape from some flatten copper pipe in the near future.
At the moment still waiting for the BMS to arrive...

in between time...
is there a real reason not to use S shape but change to E shape??

Your rebuttal is that your cells won't expand because they're assembled in a charged state. However, they'll contract during discharge which also puts pressure on those small M6 terminals.

You mention that contraction is OK but consider the total amount of potential movement; 2mm per cell adds up quickly when considering a full row.

Your picture highlights the gaps between cells that I was referring to.

Of course the solution to do this all properly and not have any stress on the terminal connections is to use braided bus bars:

braid_01.jpg

"Of course the solution to do this all properly and not have any stress on the terminal connections is to use braided bus bars: "

and:

“A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.”
― Douglas Adams

LOL :)

I like to use braided bus bars..
If only they would be available in any local store... I for sure would use them.

Not that I'm afraid for any stress on the terminals, as that is practically 0,
You be amazed how easily a battery can tilt a little, when it have small footprint and small force at the top.
I believe that was Archimedes who described this a few years ago.. :sneaky: Something to do with lever..

But, I would use them as it makes installation more flexible.

Sadly, not a lot of stores open for the next few weeks (Corona lock-down) , and even if they where.. they won't have any bus bars!!!
Best thing available here is soft copper pipe for Air-conditioning. Not even for water...
Or brass earth pin for lightning that could be hammered flat and drill some holes.
No Aluminium bars, but if i'm lucky strips of 1mm, I could use them also.

Best solution starts with being a solution that can be available, affordable and in the time frame.
after this, there is "always" a better.

diy solar

diy solar
Back