diy solar

diy solar

New Assembly could use some help

threepets

I have just purchased these items, Have not set up anything yet. I am new at Solar ,first attempt ,any help would be appreciated.

MPP LV6548 6500w off grid Solar inverter 48v 110vac​

4- JINKO 455w Bi-facial Solar Panels JKM455M-7RL3-TV​

1-Solar Lithium Battery Server Rack - LiFePO4 48V 100Ah (51.2V nominal) 5120Wh Smart BMS Rechargeable Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery​

Outdoor Waterproof IP66 PV Photovoltaic DC Switch - With Preattached MC4s​

10 Gauge pure Copper Solar Wire - Current Rate 35 amp ,200 ft. Red ,200 ft. Black .​

2 AWG Solar Battery Cable - 2 Gauge Diesel Locomotive Cable (DLO)
Crimping tool and lugs.

Do the panels need fuses?
Should there be a fuse between battery and the inverter.
Also to start, I am running on the Inverter AC out only, with a heavy duty commercial Power Bar to power,
2 Large screen TV's / Satellite Receivers and a Refrigerator.
Does any of this sound like I heading for trouble?

I have made covers for the panels, to cover when working around them. A Photovoltaic DC switch to isolate the panels. Nothing on the 10 Gauge pure Copper Solar Wire between the DC Switch and the Inverter. I have tools to cut 10 Gauge wire and crimp MC4 connectors.

Any help would be appreciated.

Do the panels need fuses?
If more than 2 panels or series strings of panels are wired parallel you need a fuse between each parallel connection.
Should there be a fuse between battery and the inverter.
Yes
Also to start, I am running on the Inverter AC out only, with a heavy duty commercial Power Bar to power,
2 Large screen TV's / Satellite Receivers and a Refrigerator.
Does any of this sound like I heading for trouble?
6500 watts is a lot more power than a 120 v plug can handle. Better to use a breaker box to divide the load. 6500 watts will likely cause smoke or fire if one of your devices shorts out.

Get this book

1662001044068.png

1662001076705.png

So well written, I understood all this electricity stuff better then ever after reading it. Its a 'cult classic' in the e-hobby world.

Technically you don’t actually need a fuse between the array and the controller but you should have a double pole switch or breaker for maintenance of the charge controller. The higher the voltage of your array the more important the “switch” is. Size the breaker above the maximum output of your array or you will be constantly resetting it.

If more than 2 panels or series strings of panels are wired parallel you need a fuse between each parallel connection.

Yes

6500 watts is a lot more power than a 120 v plug can handle. Better to use a breaker box to divide the load. 6500 watts will likely cause smoke or fire if one of your devices shorts out.
Thanks ,just a small side breaker box would work 15 amp breakers?

I'm intrigued by this diagram and trying to learn.

What is the purpose of the 30A x 4 fuses from the panels ... what sort of real life scenario will they provide protection from?

I can certainly see the value of a double pole switch or breaker for maintenance ... and possibly even the single 60A fuse.

diy solar

diy solar
Back