diy solar

diy solar

New LiFePO4 battery 200A from Renogy - cells read 3.4V, 3.4V, 3.3V, and 2.8V?!

daltons_advantures

I just finished setting up my new Renogy battery, and when I synced the battery with the app, the readouts were a bit startling. I got a battery error #4 warning of under voltage.

Checking the cell readouts, one is significantly undercharged. (3.4V, 3.4V, 3.3V, 2.8V)

Despite the error message and low voltage for that cell, the battery is reading 100% charged. Does this appear to be an issue with the BMS?

Is this normal to encounter when first waking up a new battery?

Attachments

• IMG_3264.png
    IMG_3264.png
    591.6 KB · Views: 4
AFAIK, that’s not normal for a new battery, even under storage conditions. I’ve read enough posts on this forum about issues with Renogy lifepo4 batteries, that I would not purchase those. Instead, any of the batteries on Will Prowse’s website are a good buy:

We went through FIVE Renogy AGM batteries before giving up on them. What a huge waste of money ($800+, fifth battery was leaking upon arrival).

AFAIK, that’s not normal for a new battery, even under storage conditions. I’ve read enough posts on this forum about issues with Renogy lifepo4 batteries, that I would not purchase those. Instead, any of the batteries on Will Prowse’s website are a good buy:

We went through FIVE Renogy AGM batteries before giving up on them. What a huge waste of money ($800+, fifth battery was leaking upon arrival).
That’s very disappointing to hear…

That’s very disappointing to hear…
Renogy has an excellent marketing campaign. And they’re one of the few who design products that look kinda cool. Victron is great on the inside, but my new 1000W Victron inverter looks like a blue blimp designed by a 5 year old lol.

Much of Renogy’s lineup isn’t necessarily bad, but their batteries are overpriced and problematic, as far as I can tell. We still have one of their charge controllers and it DOES work, but it’s got quirks and would’ve damaged my lifepo4 battery had I not discovered that their default settings were trying to damage my battery or BMS. For six weeks, it was hitting 16-18v. I didn’t know this until I got the Bluetooth dongle which allowed me to read the historical data from the controller.

IMG_0435.jpeg

Checking the cell readouts, one is significantly undercharged. (3.4V, 3.4V, 3.3V, 2.8V)

Despite the error message and low voltage for that cell, the battery is reading 100% charged. Does this appear to be an issue with the BMS?
Either faulty BMS or faulty cell, either way needs replacement. 13 volts is not fully charged.
Much of Renogy’s lineup isn’t necessarily bad
Most of the Renogy lineup is very bad, along with their support. The only product that's half decent are the rigid framed solar panels.

Mike

Most of the Renogy lineup is very bad, along with their support. The only product that's half decent are the rigid framed solar panels.

I somewhat agree. For long term use, Renogy is a poor choice. But for occasional use, especially bought on sale, it’s “okay”.

I chalk it to to helping us with the learning curve and understanding the better value of quality products like Victron. Except I won’t be buying a Victron lifepo4 which also requires their $800 external BMS!

Either faulty BMS or faulty cell, either way needs replacement. 13 volts is not fully charged.

Mike
Well hopefully their customer service responds to my support claim soon. I spent some good money on this thing

Renogy has an excellent marketing campaign. And they’re one of the few who design products that look kinda cool. Victron is great on the inside, but my new 1000W Victron inverter looks like a blue blimp designed by a 5 year old lol.

Much of Renogy’s lineup isn’t necessarily bad, but their batteries are overpriced and problematic, as far as I can tell. We still have one of their charge controllers and it DOES work, but it’s got quirks and would’ve damaged my lifepo4 battery had I not discovered that their default settings were trying to damage my battery or BMS. For six weeks, it was hitting 16-18v. I didn’t know this until I got the Bluetooth dongle which allowed me to read the historical data from the controller.

View attachment 164482
Which controller was this?

Back