diy solar

diy solar

New RV MPP LV2424 Questions

What do you mean by parallel?
I don't see a problem with using 2 un-synchronised inverters each dedicated to its own leg.
I wonder if it was a misunderstanding.
You won't be able to get 240VAC but 120VAC should work fine.

Thank you everyone for the input. Its very appreciated!

@smoothJoey

1593387313686.png

Each unit produces 20a max each. They are tied via communication cables and software to split the load. Thus combined in parallel make a max of 40a to the RV distro panel.

Both guys said this isn't possible nor recommended although its clearly designed for this. And that's why I bought these.

However, I think I found my solution though. Please let me know if anyone sees an issues with this.

Essentially I am dropping 1 leg like a 50a to 30a dog bone would do. This way my 40a will still power both sides of the Rv power panel. Still giving me the ability to turn off of an inverter if I want, or if one goes down. I've already ran the 8/3 wire to do this. Max output of the system is (2) 20a = 40a. I don't expect to ever run over 30ish amps. I think continuous we will see around 20a - 25a with air conditioning running.

1593393343717.png

This handles the ground when plugged into shore power.

Now I need to figure out where and how to add the switchable bonded ground when not on shore power. Does anyone know if the ATS inside these units does this automatically?

Attachments

• 1593391039686.png
    1593391039686.png
    44 KB · Views: 2
  • 1593393113255.png
    1593393113255.png
    138.7 KB · Views: 2
Glad I asked.
I was under the mistaken impression that you had chosen option#1
I now understand that you have chosen option#3.

Thank you everyone for the input. Its very appreciated!

@smoothJoey

View attachment 16392

Each unit produces 20a max each. They are tied via communication cables and software to split the load. Thus combined in parallel make a max of 40a to the RV distro panel.

Both guys said this isn't possible nor recommended although its clearly designed for this. And that's why I bought these.

However, I think I found my solution though. Please let me know if anyone sees an issues with this.

Essentially I am dropping 1 leg like a 50a to 30a dog bone would do. This way my 40a will still power both sides of the Rv power panel. Still giving me the ability to turn off of an inverter if I want, or if one goes down. I've already ran the 8/3 wire to do this. Max output of the system is (2) 20a = 40a. I don't expect to ever run over 30ish amps. I think continuous we will see around 20a - 25a with air conditioning running.

View attachment 16402

This handles the ground when plugged into shore power.

Now I need to figure out where and how to add the switchable bonded ground when not on shore power. Does anyone know if the ATS inside these units does this automatically?
Do *NOT* do this unless the manual says you can. The only way this can work is if the two inverters sync their sign waves. If the sign waves are not synced, you *will* blow up one or both of the inverters.

If you are on shore power, the inverters will follow the sign wave from shore and it may work fine. However, as soon as you are on battery, the sign waves will start to drift and all the magic smoke will come out of the inverters.

lad I asked.
I was under the mistaken impression that you had chosen option#1
I now understand that you have chosen option#3.

Thanks for bearing with me, I am sorry if I am not using the exact terminology. I am learning the lingo as I go.

Do *NOT* do this unless the manual says you can. The only way this can work is if the two inverters sync their sign waves. If the sign waves are not synced, you *will* blow up one or both of the inverters.

If you are on shore power, the inverters will follow the sign wave from shore and it may work fine. However, as soon as you are on battery, the sign waves will start to drift and all the magic smoke will come out of the inverters.

Well that's a bit scary.

I decided this route because of this:

I follow his youtube channel, he ran this for several weeks in his RV no problems while testing it.

Well that's a bit scary.

I decided this route because of this:

I follow his youtube channel, he ran this for several weeks in his RV no problems while testing it.
I went out and found an MPPT manual...but I don't know for sure if it matches your model.
1593396392970.png
In it I found this

And this:
1593396225804.png

So, if your units have the parallel boards and are hooked up properly, it looks like your plan will work.

Last edited:
Now that I understand the neutral ground bond this helps so much!
A relay would be super convent, however I think I would need a 50a relay right? The links are for 20a max.

Trying to find a TPDT switch that would work due to high amps. I'm ok with manual switch, because I intend to not be on shore power 99% of the time.

I'm reallly lousy at reading esl manuals. The mpp may actually do what you want.
Its worth testing.

Does anyone know if the ATS inside these units does this automatically?

I would think there are relays built in that do the switching. Why not contact MPP and ask them to be sure? I have been looking at Inverter/Chargers and they have built in relays that take care of the switching. I would be surprised if the MPP doesn't but you never know.

Trying to find a 3PDT switch that would work due to high amps.
@smootheJoey
Have any suggestions on a 3PDT switch? Do I need a high amp switch?
This should work right? I know its overkill but its relatively cheap and solid.

Hey guys I got it all set up everything's running great on the DC side. However... when it's under load of anything more than a 400+ watts the MPP's go into fault mode and turn off. Even when I've got 1200 plus watts of solar coming in the AC side still trips. so I'm thinking it's maybe my wiring going back into the RV distro panel?

I'm not tripping any breakers or anything like that and the rest of the system it's only the MVP controllers that are doing this.

Anyone out there with LV 2424 experience run into this before?

Hey guys I got it all set up everything's running great on the DC side. However... when it's under load of anything more than a 400+ watts the MPP's go into fault mode and turn off. Even when I've got 1200 plus watts of solar coming in the AC side still trips. so I'm thinking it's maybe my wiring going back into the RV distro panel?

I'm not tripping any breakers or anything like that and the rest of the system it's only the MVP controllers that are doing this.

Anyone out there with LV 2424 experience run into this before?
Please post an updated diagram.
I probably won't be able to see it but others will.
Probably not relevant but how did you end up dealing with the neutral ground bond switching issue?
Do you have a shunt?

The most likely cause is bad connection(s) on the DC. It will cause a voltage drop and the inverter will think the battery is low.

Ramp the AC. Load up as high as you can then look for warm connections. A cheap harbor freight thermal scanner is good for this.

Please post an updated diagram.
I probably won't be able to see it but others will.
Probably not relevant but how did you end up dealing with the neutral ground bond switching issue?
Do you have a shunt?
All diagrams are posted already. Post #39 on here shows the bonding I did.

Yes I have a shunt.

I might not have been as clear, that I'm reading my post again. DC side is running perfect!
It's the AC side when the inverters kick on. I can watch on the software when it gets a load it can hold it for a short period.

Example. I get about 5 seconds of microwave power.
Or I turned on the fan only for the AC and observed a 600watt load for about 30 seconds. Then it faults. So I think it's an issue with the LV 2424. Maybe a setting I don't have right..

diy solar

diy solar
Back