diy solar

diy solar

New to LifePO4 Lithium

aKO

Now sure what to expect from my new LifePO4 battery , it came with 40% charge and a voltage of 26.2 as the manual says it would and i left it standing for 2 months before charging . When charging i noticed the Victron DC to DC charger was going through Bulk chargewith voltage slowly rising as expected from my experience with Flooded bateries but then it behaved very differently than i am used to seeing . It was charging steady in Bulk then all of a sudden voltage went up and capasity went from 56% to 100% for no expliciable reason and into Absorption . After one and a half hours it went into Float . Now 3 days later its Voltage has dropped to 26.69 which seems to be a substancial loss for a new bnattery sitting doing nothing . The voltage drop seems to be quick at first from when i disconected the charger to today when still its slowly continualy lousing voltage . My Shunt says its 100% but thats only because theres been noting for it to monitor leaving the battery .

This is a whole new ball game for me so any pointers or explinations would be very much appreciated .

Attachments

• Opera Snapshot_2023-09-11_184612_vrm.victronenergy.com.png
    Opera Snapshot_2023-09-11_184612_vrm.victronenergy.com.png
    62.7 KB · Views: 2
  • Opera Snapshot_2023-09-11_185226_vrm.victronenergy.com.png
    Opera Snapshot_2023-09-11_185226_vrm.victronenergy.com.png
    48.7 KB · Views: 2
Most LFP batteries ship with imbalanced cells.
Most LFP batteries get more imbalanced with storage time.
LFP battery voltages behave similarly to lead acid. After charging to 14.4V, it's very common for the voltages to settle into the high 26 to low 27V range.

What is likely happening is that one or more of the cells are hitting the high cut-off point due to imbalance, and the BMS is cutting charge off. This is supported by the charger being at 29V but being at 0A.

The charge jumped to 100% because it met the charge sync criteria.

Recommend you set charger to power supply mode and 13.8V. Hold the battery at 13.8V for several days.

Thank you Sunshine for your explination , I hadnt reconised there was no current going in while there was voltage , makes sense to me now .

Back