diy solar

diy solar

New to solar and looking for advice on putting together a system

DaughterJudy1984

I’m new to solar power and I started putting together my own solar power “kit”, but I’m not sure how to put it all together. I get the basics of the system but can’t find a diagram online that puts it all together for me. I have the following items:

1) intel power 9200 series Converter/charger. Model P09260C 60amp
2) modified sine wave inverter GP1750HD, 1750 watt
3) 2 - 100 watt reboot solar panels - 12v
4) wanderer solar charge controller - RS232 30A
5)Renogy 12v 200 AH deep cycle hybrid gel battery
5) misc MC4 connectors, 12AWG, etc

I am wanting to use the solar panels in conjunction with a generator I have as a back up and am alternate way to charge up the batteries. I have been trying to find a diagram of how to con text all these various parts but getting caught up on the aspect of tying in the generator. I am slo confused as to what is the difference of the charge controller vs. the converter/ charger. Any tips, tricks, advice would be greatly appreciated. This is an off the grid, very small seasonal cabin and we want to power some led lights, charge a phone, etc. biggest draw would maybe be a fan.

Any tips, tricks, advice would be greatly appreciated.
You should probably ask these kinds of questions before actually buying a bunch of stuff you know nothing about.

2x 100w solar panels sounds like about 1/4 of what you'd need to operate a 1750w inverter with appliances for any amount of time.

200ah deep cycle battery will provide 12.8 x 100ah (dischargeable to 50%) = 1280wh of energy.
You can run 1750w inverter at capacity for 1280/1750 = less that 45 minutes of runtime.

200w of solar x 5h average solar day = 1000wh charging daily. (less that your battery capacity)

Agreeing with what Mister Sandals said, but offering a translation:
1) what do you want to power? How much power does that thing(s) (aka “load”) need and for how long and at what voltage? Translate to kilowatt-hours as a starting point.
2) Does your existing inverter provide the watts needed for your load at the voltage needed - A) yes! B) shoot! (No) = get different inverter that can provide output your loads need AND will work with chosen battery voltage, i.e. inverter dc input voltage and battery bank output voltage must “play well together”.
3) charging batteries from generator = one topic
4) charging batteries from solar = another topic
5) type and amount and voltage and total current and configuration of batteries to serve load for the amount of time you want = another large interrelated topic
6) learn about these before buying things, resell what you can’t use and keep learning..
FWIW, hopefully helpful

I should have read more closely: IF you want to learn about this stuff, great; but if you would like to just enjoy life in your cabin and not spend time learning it, maybe consider an all-in-one battery-inverter-charger package and just buy that (I do not like calling them solar generators because, well, it makes no sense, but anyway, that’s my problem).
That way you can just run some lights and your fan and charge your phone and maybe you can find one that accepts generator input and you get some compatible solar panels - what you’ve got might work IDK, but would need more probably....and you’re done. There is a good and reasonable reason to pay for someone else to have done your integration and figuring out how to make it all work, even if that’s not the topic here. Again, hoping this is helpful. TK

I’m new to solar power and I started putting together my own solar power “kit”, but I’m not sure how to put it all together. I get the basics of the system but can’t find a diagram online that puts it all together for me. I have the following items:

1) intel power 9200 series Converter/charger. Model P09260C 60amp
2) modified sine wave inverter GP1750HD, 1750 watt
3) 2 - 100 watt reboot solar panels - 12v
4) wanderer solar charge controller - RS232 30A
5)Renogy 12v 200 AH deep cycle hybrid gel battery
5) misc MC4 connectors, 12AWG, etc

I am wanting to use the solar panels in conjunction with a generator I have as a back up and am alternate way to charge up the batteries. I have been trying to find a diagram of how to con text all these various parts but getting caught up on the aspect of tying in the generator. I am slo confused as to what is the difference of the charge controller vs. the converter/ charger. Any tips, tricks, advice would be greatly appreciated. This is an off the grid, very small seasonal cabin and we want to power some led lights, charge a phone, etc. biggest draw would maybe be a fan.
I think you we have similar gear.
1st thing that you need to know is that the charge controller gets connected to the 12 V battery. Never connect the CC to the solar panels first because you can damage it. Connect the negative terminal of the battery to the CC, and then connect the positive terminal of the battery to the CC. Do this and see if you get the green light on on your Wanderer CC. If you are successful we can do the rest.

Back