diy solar

diy solar

New van system.

Ah got it on the AC DC. Actually have a DC cigarette lighter adapter in the mail for the laptop so I can at least use and or charge it while driving for the time being. So I’ll just continue to use that even after the system is built..

I just have to say, its very very refreshing to see a new member desiring a somewhat minimal / outdoor oriented van build with high quality components, as opposed to the much more common scenario of new van builders wanting to power everything plus the kitchen sink with low end components.

Victron is a very good quality brand, for a high end brand not the greatest documentation, but apart from that I see very little downsides, I think you would not be dissapointed designing around Victron components. Others have mentioned Blue Sea Systems, for fuses and wire, they are of a similar quality level as Victron, and the Blue Sea Circuit Wizard (or the app) is a good calculator for sizing wire for 12 or 24 volt systems. They also have many good beginning DIYer friendly articles such as this one on wire sizing. Also be aware, Victron put out a whole free E-book for DIY'ers called Wiring Unlimited [PDF] which answers most questions a beginning DIYer might have.

Back