diy solar

diy solar

New Victron Multiplus-II 12/3000/120-50 designed specifically for RVs with 30A/50A input flexibility available MARCH 2021

@mpeason Very nicely laid out. A couple of quick questions for the sake of anyone coming along who might be interested:

1. What is the amperage rating of the ANL/CNN fuse feeding your bus bar?
2. What size wire is feeding your MPPT from the busbar?

@mpeason Very nicely laid out. A couple of quick questions for the sake of anyone coming along who might be interested:

1. What is the amperage rating of the ANL/CNN fuse feeding your bus bar?
2. What size wire is feeding your MPPT from the busbar?

Sure - 100 amp ANL feeding the bus bar, and 8 awg from the MPPT to the busbar.

I think I did the calculations correct, but if you see an error I'm open to feedback. Thanks

Sure - 100 amp ANL feeding the bus bar, and 8 awg from the MPPT to the busbar.

I think I did the calculations correct, but if you see an error I'm open to feedback. Thanks

Cool. My only comment here would be that unfortunately your 8 AWG wire is not rated for 100A. 55A at best. So in the event that your controller catastrophically failed or there was otherwise greater than 55A (but less than 100A) constant on the 8 AWG wiring/circuit connecting the controller to the busbar, the 8 AWG wiring will turn cherry red and likely start a fire before the 100A fuse would blow. To prevent this, you would need a fuse on/protecting the 8AWG circuit in addition to the 100A already in place.

Technically I would recommend a wire ~1.25x higher than the continuous current passing through it. You may not be at a full 50A but if you are anywhere past 44A on average, I would recommend a 6 AWG with a 55A fuse per Victron's manual/datasheet.

As a general rule of thumb, every circuit needs to be fused relative to the wiring it's protecting. There are exceptions but following this will generally keep things safe.

To be clear, I'm not intending to nit pick at your installation whatsoever. Just a general comment for safety. :)

Cool. My only comment here would be that unfortunately your 8 AWG wire is not rated for 100A. 55A at best. So in the event that your controller catastrophically failed or there was otherwise greater than 55A (but less than 100A) constant on the 8 AWG wiring/circuit connecting the controller to the busbar, the 8 AWG wiring will turn cherry red and likely start a fire before the 100A fuse would blow. To prevent this, you would need a fuse on/protecting the 8AWG circuit in addition to the 100A already in place.

Technically I would recommend a wire ~1.25x higher than the continuous current passing through it. You may not be at a full 50A but if you are anywhere past 44A on average, I would recommend a 6 AWG with a 55A fuse per Victron's manual/datasheet.

As a general rule of thumb, every circuit needs to be fused relative to the wiring it's protecting. There are exceptions but following this will generally keep things safe.

To be clear, I'm not intending to nit pick at your installation whatsoever. Just a general comment for safety. :)
Thanks for the insight! I'll make your recommended changes this weekend and post a follow up picture.

Does anyone have any insight into the programming of the MultiPlus II? My installer has never installed one and is waiting for the programming parameters from AM Solar before he installs it. I'm just curious how big of an issue this is. He's installed tons of other MultiPlus's in the past.

Does anyone have any insight into the programming of the MultiPlus II? My installer has never installed one and is waiting for the programming parameters from AM Solar before he installs it. I'm just curious how big of an issue this is. He's installed tons of other MultiPlus's in the past.

I found that the programming was the same as a single phase Multiplus in that it is programmed through VE Configure computer software. You attach the VE Bus USB dongle to your computer and use the VE Configure computer software to set the parameters based on your battery setup. There are multiple tutorials online, including on Victron's website. The programming was pretty straightforward, and the MultiPlus II didn't present any unique programming requirements that were different from the single phase Multiplus.

There are a HEAP of videos on youtube showing you exactly how to do it, make sure you're installer gives you a discount for having to do his job for him. :)

For future readers: The very best way to learn about Victron equipment/installation is to register at https://professional.victronenergy.com/ and go through the online training section. All a person needs to know is there, broken into selectable topics. Outside of specific model installation information which can be found in the manuals.

LOL! No kidding. Sounds like the installer hasn't taken the time to keep up on recent releases.
They wouldn’t be anywhere near my equipment, even if they didn’t know how to do it, the fact they were dumb enough to admit they didn’t and lazy enough to not bother going and researching and just left it up to the end user/customer? No thanks!!!!

I’m really hoping someone can confirm. All I really need to change is the battery setup to lifepo. I would rather use a Bluetooth dongle than a laptop and USB.
Alsofrom Victron:
Inverter/chargers can be connected to in two ways:

1. Using USB, this requires the MK3-USB, full details here.
  2. Wirelessly, over Bluetooth. Requires the VE.Bus Smart dongle accessory. The available functionality is monitoring as well as operation of the product: switching between on/off/charger-only and setting the input current limit. Changing the configuration, as well as firmware updating a VE.Bus product, is not supported.

Last edited:
Alsofrom Victron:
Inverter/chargers can be connected to in two ways:

1. Using USB, this requires the MK3-USB, full details here.
  2. Wirelessly, over Bluetooth. Requires the VE.Bus Smart dongle accessory. The available functionality is monitoring as well as operation of the product: switching between on/off/charger-only and setting the input current limit. Changing the configuration, as well as firmware updating a VE.Bus product, is not supported.
So to me that means I have to MK3-USB to change the battery profile. Also means to update the inverter itself will require a USB. I’m thinking I will have to buy one and find an old laptop.

Anyone able to confirm this? Seems nuts that a brand new product would still require an external single for configuration and an additional dongle for Bluetooth monitoring.

Does the Cerbo change this requirement?

Anyone able to confirm this? Seems nuts that a brand new product would still require an external single for configuration and an additional dongle for Bluetooth monitoring.

Does the Cerbo change this requirement?
Exactly my thoughts. That’s why I posted the question. I guess I’ll find out first hand later this week.

Appreciate hearing from you once you have hands on the product. Still waiting for mine unfortunately, could be another couple of weeks.

Back