diy solar

diy solar

Newb Battery Review/Experience: Voltium Energy LifePO4 40Ah

DaveDavenport

As newby in solar and LifePO4 batteries, I decided to post a quick review/experience about Voltium Energy batteries.
(apologies if this is in the wrong location)

When looking for a LifePO4 battery I fount a relatively cheap one I could pick up at a local store (slightly under 300 euro, so not as cheap as I would have liked but available the same day).
The battery comes in a strong plastic case, nothing seems to be loose on the inside and overall feels like a decent build (compared to my varta lead-acid battery).
The specifications are:

Brand:
Voltium Energy
Type:LiFePO4
Voltage:12.8 Volt
Ampere:40 Ah
Usage:Cyclic, Deep Cycle
Charge and discharge cycles:3000 - 5000
Dimensions:199 x 151 x 170 (LxWxH)
Weight:6.8 kg
Connection:M8

The battery has a bluetooth interface and an android and apple application:
So my first experiences:

Battery I have little to say about, the specs (size) seems to match, the terminals are strong and I noticed no flex when tightening the connectors.
The battery does not seem to get hot under my relative low loads/charging currents ( <= 20A).

I monitored the battery (my mistake) with the application and noticed a few oddities:
  1. After first charge and then discharge the battery discharged to 30% according to the gauge and then dropped to zero. The max capacity dropped by 5%. (38Ah)
  2. One of the cells was 0.2V lower then the others.
  3. On charging the cells balanced out until they reached the top, then some of them dropped out again with sometimes reporting +- 0.15V difference (but not always the same cell).
  4. After 7 cycles the reported max load dropped to 35.9Ah.
I contacted the company about this, trying to get some description of the bluetooth interface to hopefully log the individual cell levels more closely.
The responded quickly and very friendly, but did not hand out the api (understandable). I might reverse engineer it when I have some time left.
On the application: it works well and connects easily. There is a 'pro' menu with the password: 1234, to rename the battery use 5678.

Now to get back to the large drop in reported max capacity, I was worried about this, I don't expect a 10% drop after just a few cycles. Also the the difference between cells before cut-off is larger then I experienced with some smaller (8Ah) packs I diy myself.
So I did a manual test, where i charged the battery full, then unloaded it into load at 0.1C. The load indicated a total 40Ah (510Wh) energy, while the app indicated the 35.9Ah.
I am happy the battery did not loose capacity, still going to keep an eye on it. To bad the accounting in the battery itself is not great. I noticed that the app 'ignores' low charging/discharging (<1Ah) currents.

Please let me know if there is more information I can add.

Regards,

Dave

Back