diy solar

diy solar

Newbie looking at starting a solar project

darkmaniac7

Hello everyone,

My name is Ivan, Moved to East Texas in February after being pushed from Ukraine around that same time due to a certain invasion.

I work from home as a Network Engineer, and am looking at starting a project in the next month, not particularly to completely go offgrid, I'm looking at a Grid-Tie system that will eventually offset 50% of my utilization.

I'm looking at doing this build myself doing a ground install. Hoping to be under $3k starting out for the first 6 panels let me know your thoughts or suggestions.

6x First Solar Series 6 FS-6460 460W
1x SunGoldPower 6500w SP6548
1x 6 String PV Combiner Box / Fuses / Breakers - B09NNCWHZ2
6x Renogy 20FT 10AWG Solar Panel Extension Cable - MC4
1x 50' Red & Black Power Cable 6awg Copper

I was looking at doing 1 row of 6 panels horizontally, my only concern is shade during the day, I'll likely need to have a camera to watch that before setting it up to make sure the house doesn't shade one of the panels.

I use an average of about 1500kwh, I think this system where I'm at should get me around 20-30%. Depending on how it goes after about 4-6 Months I'd like to add another 6 panels to another Box going to the 2nd Controller on the inverter and at that point I'm hoping to be around 50%

That's really the only short-medium plan I have, Perhaps eventually I'll add a battery system, but for now I don't think it makes sense, but who Knows, I might as another project :LOL:

Thanks, yep 1500/month on average, due to the freeze in the last week I think January I ended up around 1700 but on average that's where I'm at :)
Yeah, that's not all that uncommon on an all electric house. That's only 30Kw a day and a bog standard electric heater running all day would be 1.5Kw * 24hr = 36Kwh just on its own.

Getting a grid tied system with all the mountings and conduit and kill switches and UL listed parts for $3k is going to be the biggest challenge I think.

Last edited:
Back