diy solar

diy solar

Newbie question re the extension cables to use for portable solar panel

Dave689

I have this portable solar panel:

which I use to charge this:

I wish to purchase a pair of cables in order to place the solar panel about 20ft (6m) further away from the battery pack than I can at the moment.

I live in the UK. Would this cable suffice:

and would I need the 10 or the 12AWG? (I believe that AWG refers to the thickness of the cable, smaller numbers being thicker?).

If I later needed a longer distance could I then buy another cable and use that one as well? Is there a downside to using such extension cables?

(The reason doing this is that that battery weighs 20Kg and it would be much easy to have a longer cable than to move the heavy battery).

I think the solar panel is this one, which says it has an MC4 connector so I think the cable should be the right one:

Thank you for helping out this solar power newbie.

I have this portable solar panel:

which I use to charge this:

I wish to purchase a pair of cables in order to place the solar panel about 20ft (6m) further away from the battery pack than I can at the moment.

I live in the UK. Would this cable suffice:

and would I need the 10 or the 12AWG? (I believe that AWG refers to the thickness of the cable, smaller numbers being thicker?).

If I later needed a longer distance could I then buy another cable and use that one as well? Is there a downside to using such extension cables?

(The reason doing this is that that battery weighs 20Kg and it would be much easy to have a longer cable than to move the heavy battery).

I think the solar panel is this one, which says it has an MC4 connector so I think the cable should be the right one:

Thank you for helping out this solar power newbie.
It should work. I usually get the #10 as to have less power drop between the panels and the unit. I have a 30 foot extension that works just fine.

Back