diy solar

diy solar

Newby inverter question relating to mini hydro

Chownz

Hi, this is my first post regarding a little hydro test project I have underway. Learning as I go and wonder if anyone can shed any light on the following:

My question: Is the Growatt 2Kw inverter I'm using too powerful for the 500w turbine, or am I using the wrong kind of inverter?

My inverter: Growatt MIC2000 TL-X inverter. Start voltage 80v, MPP voltage range 65v 550v, MPP voltage range at full power 170v - 450v

My generator (strictly speaking an alternator with bridge rectifier): a 500w , 220v DC 50hz hydro turbine.

Here's what happens: the 220v DC output from the turbine is connected to the inverter (as if it were a solar panel). The inverter sees it and reads between 170v-200v. When I connect the inverter to the AC current (reading at 247v 50hz) the inverter starts it's connection count down from 20s. It will count down to one, but in the last few seconds the speed of the turbine drops, then I can see the DC voltage drops below 70v and the count down restarts and the turbine speeds back up. I think as the inverter starts to draw current this slows the alternator. Is the MPP voltage range of 170v-450v too high for the hydro and in theory might the small Growatt MIC600TL-X with a range of 55v - 450v work?

I am testing the potential to generate hydro electricity on my land with a test set up hence why I've ended up with a 500w hydro and a 2kw inverter. If the potential is there and I can generate a small quantity of hydro-electricity then I'll get the digger out, double the flow rate and aim for a 1kw pelton wheel system. The hydro has the potential to run 24hrs a day through the winter since we are in West Yorkshire, UK and it rains a lot.

Very many thanks in advance.

Chownz

Mppt controllers will be searching for a load point, an alternator cannot provide.
You need an alternator charge controller I think. Something to convert the ac output into DC directly to the batteries.

Many thanks, I'd been reading about charge controllers. I'll do some research.

All the best.

So at the moment the 200v alternator passes through a bridge recifier to produce 200v DC. I'm struggling to find a charge controller that can handle 200v, most are 70v max. Is there something I'm missing that will enable me to harness the 200v the alternator is producing?

Many thanks in advance.

Back