diy solar

diy solar

NO Solar-Controller sub-forum ?

Steve_S

Offgrid Cabineer, N.E. Ontario, Canada
I've been here a little while an contributing where I can. I see many folks gravitate towards EP-Solar, MPP etc and other brands but not others like Midnite Solar Technologies. So I looked about and there is no forum on Solar Controllers, which IMO is a fairly important if you want a solar system, maybe I'm missing something here...

I appreciate that Will has reviewed & used various EP*, MPP and other products over his span, starting with low cost RV solar and growing that but things re being seriously missed out and I feel it's a bit of a gad that needs filling.

Example: Look at the Mdnite Solar KID Controller which is a small, marine, rv + certified & tested bit of kit with quite good features & functions... no mention...
Now ETL listed to UL1741, CSA 22.2 and UL458. This may be the only MPPT controller listed for use on marine craft and RV's

The KID is the most versatile medium sized charge controller on the market, ideal for small renewable energy systems. The KID allows for true input paralleling. As your power needs grow, add more modules to the array and a second KID. This will give twice the power from a single array.

The KID's HyperVOC feature allows up to 162VOC . (The KID will not be harmed by voltages between 150 and 162VDC (this is the HyperVOC range). However the KID will remain in standby until the voltage is 150v or below.)

for $650 USD MSRP price you get:
Includes:
  • MidNite KID MPPT charge controller
  • MidNite Big BABY box
  • 2 of our MidNite MNEPV30 breakers, One for the PV input and one for the battery output
  • 1 of our 63 amp DC ground fault breakers for the PV side of the KID
  • 1 Battery temperature sensor
  • Conduit and adapters
  • Wire and strain reliefs ETC
  • Built in Arlington, WA USA
  • Warranty - 5 yrs.

How about the bigger Midnite controllers like the 150, 200 & 250 and their variants (which can be considerably cheaper).
Tristar, Victron, all deserve a shake too. or, is it a matter of 'sponsorship' ? Maybe partnering up with a "retailer" to do reviews & tests of different brands ?

Back