diy solar

diy solar

Noise level of inverters, etc.?

1F409

I can just about hear a pin drop across the house. My computers are all fanless, yet still I have to chose carefully to avoid electronic whine from power supplies. Even some forced air furnaces drive me up the wall, by making their ducts ring. So, what am I setting myself up for by purchasing a photovoltaic system? How noisy are inverters or other components? With all of the above, would I be better off putting it in an outbuilding?

I can just about hear a pin drop across the house. My computers are all fanless, yet still I have to chose carefully to avoid electronic whine from power supplies. Even some forced air furnaces drive me up the wall, by making their ducts ring. So, what am I setting myself up for by purchasing a photovoltaic system? How noisy are inverters or other components? With all of the above, would I be better off putting it in an outbuilding?
Grid tie or off grid?

Grid tie inverters are generally very quiet, sma sunny boys are fanless

Off grid inverters can be noisy. Morningstar make the 'suresine inverter' which is completely fanless, also the tristar mppt (fanless) but you pay through the nose for both & the inverter is only 2.5kw max size

But.... you are ALWAYS going to have some electrical hum from a PV system , MPPTs make noise, as do inverters, even fanless ones

There are "smaller" inverters generally <2000W that can be had without a fan but not many. Larger ones all have fans because they can make a LOT of heat and fast. I can tell you, that virtually all the manufacturers don't consider the Fan Noise seriously, wish they would, it's a common subject with people asking how to replace the factory fans with quiet ones. I do not think I have ever seen a noise DB rating for any solar gear.

I have 2 Midnite Solar Controllers (3 fans each) and terribly loud surprisingly + my Samlex EVO inverter with a large fan. This is located in a separate building which is Highly Insulated (5" solid foam between studs+) and when all the fans are roaring I can hear them outside 5' from the building and yes, with the door closed. Because it is my powerhouse/pumphouse it's okay, but it would be intolerable if I had to hear it.

The Fix is not hard BUT a PITA. The fans are almost always Roller Bearing Box Fans, similar to what is used on PC's etc. These can be replaced with similar sized fans using Sealed Ball Bearings (last much longer and quieter) with tuned fan blades so they are actually quite silent (or near to it). Sourcing them is tricky, because you need at least the same CFM rating and most have to be PWM controlled so they cycle up/down etc as needed.

One option that suits many people, is they dedicate a "closet" in their house for their gear, then install sound barrier insulation like Roxul Acoustic Insulation https://www.rockwool.com/north-america/ which is very effective and then use air transfer fans like these from AC Infinity (one of the best sources for SILENT FANS and affordable too.
Closet Room Fans: https://acinfinity.com/closet-room-fan-systems/
look around they have excellent USB Fans with Controllers as well...

Hope it helps, Good Luck.

I can identify. I'm quite sensitive to various sounds. I'm somewhat envious of your house/location. I'm constantly troubled by neighbors noise, music, cars, etc.... :(

My current Ecoflow Delta Pro in the room next to my office is a bit like a jet engine. :) No idea yet what my new Sungold 10K is going to sound like.

I can identify. I'm quite sensitive to various sounds. I'm somewhat envious of your house/location. I'm constantly troubled by neighbors noise, music, cars, etc.... :(

My current Ecoflow Delta Pro in the room next to my office is a bit like a jet engine. :) No idea yet what my new Sungold 10K is going to sound like.
LMAO, Neighbours, I was woken up on Thursday by the local Wolf Pack that decided to have a Howling Contest in my side yard, < 100' from my house... Would no trade it for anything, so few hoomans & lots of critters.

Microinverters are up on the roof under the panels. For a grid tied system they are a quiet option.

Just today, I started looking into the possibility of a DC-only system. I've read that DC power eliminates so many troublesome issues with touchy electronics -- one of which I'm hoping is noise. My converted attic would make a good test bed for DC, without affecting the rest of the house. Is such a setup common enough, or would I be flying by the seat of my pants?

I would say - not that common anymore, outside of the RV market it seems.
I knew a few people with completely DC cabins back a few decades. They used all 12DC so they could repurpose automotive stuff including batteries - but the cost for wire (to carry that low voltage high-ish amperage stuff) plus the PITA to source and pay for DC appliances make this a thing of the past, more or less, since the advent of much better batteries and inverter equipment.
If you just want lights and a few small items to play with, it may work okay for your attic - short runs for the wire will help keep wire sizes to a minimum, perhaps you don't need any appliances.
My feeling is, once you start down the road to solar, you will want to expand it. All DC will quickly be less than idea.
I would consider a sound-proofed room/closet for the equipment myself, or separate building/shed, fan-less inverter is a good option for low power system.

Edit: Sonopan panels work well for soundproofing, other options, resilient channels, weatherstrip the door.

Last edited:
Lights and fans would be easier on 12v. You should be able to do LEDs for the lighting to save some money on copper for that wiring.
Computers already run on DC, just get a DCDC charger for a laptop. Some TVs and other electronics have external power bricks, some research on your part there to find 12v native components and you could run those on DC.

Things in the kitchen and large appliances however, those would be difficult. Washer, dryer, microwave, oven, etc all would be difficult to run on DC.
Other than the fridge, you could turn the inverter on and off as needed. But you need the fridge to cycle on it's own.

after shooting about a gazillion rifle rounds without ear protection , playing Marshall amps that were a foot taller me and riding 2 stroke off road bikes while hill climbing …
I am unaffected by most noises these days..

As far as fans go I can hear my Multiplus fan, but I need to be near it when its really running or it’s very quite and I don’t notice it..……all the other Victron stuff I have with fans are totally silent ..
( at least to me) ….

But then I like the sounds of fans and background ambient electric sounds…soothing stuff.
J.

There is a distinct lack of quality audio of inverters running, and I count myself among the sensitive even with my hearing loss.

We more than anyone could probably attempt to amass a library documenting this stuff.

My XW makes a serious humm but I don't find it particularly offensive and I have it tucked away where I can't hear it. But if it had more high pitched elements it would get to me.

I'd really like to know what a Radian and a Rosie sound like under load.

Last edited:
Reactions: JRH
I love the sound and slight rattle of a motel under the window A/C. Sound like a good rest after a trip.
Hello, my name is J.…I am a recovering Audiophile ….Thank You for inviting me to your weekly meeting..
i went cold turkey 20+ years ago and sold all my beloved gear…. Being a “sonic elitist nerd “ is not easy ..people don’t invite you to party’s anymore…I made enemy’s posting signs saying Dont Touch My Albums , ran off many beautiful girls by talking tech stuff and spent a fortune buying expensive sound gear, only to discover the newer model of whatever I just bought was now for sale.

But occasionally I hear a pair of system fans in my solar trailer hit that sweet spot of slow oscillation or droning and like two tires on the highway turning just out of sync, it can put one to sleep as you close your eyes in bliss.
I now have signs on my solar gear saying Do Not Touch Anything ..Ever…!

Just today, I started looking into the possibility of a DC-only system. I've read that DC power eliminates so many troublesome issues with touchy electronics -- one of which I'm hoping is noise. My converted attic would make a good test bed for DC, without affecting the rest of the house. Is such a setup common enough, or would I be flying by the seat of my pants?

A properly set up DC system is much more reliable , AC inverters are nothing but trouble

BUT the trouble is there's hardly any good DC equipment, if you want to live a modern comfortable life you really need AC power

Back