diy solar

diy solar

Not so impressed with my new Magnum Energy 4448

So how do you know which is which, brand names? As a electrician I would want the transformer for reliability. BTW thanks for you and the others who answered!!
I think as a retired electrician, you have an understanding of what's referred to as "inrush current"? And also that you can not measure inrush with a standard clamp meter because the reading is not fast enough? You have to buy a special clamp meter designed to read "inrush" (that means expensive).

As a general rule, transformer based low-frequency inverters have far higher "inrush" capability then high-frequency models. As a general rule, HF can surge 200% for 8-16 milliseconds. LF models however might have the capacity to surge 200% for 5-60 seconds, literally 1000X longer. You need this very long surge timing for the starting of electrical motors that run under load, like power tools, compressors, and pumps.

I think that anyone that bases their purchasing decision on shipping weight has no clue what they are doing.
Actually, there is one very important factor where weight is critical. If you are buying a MPPT charge controller that weights 8 pounds, it is likely a real MPPT controller. If however the shipping weight is 8 oz, then most likely it is a fake PWM controller. So, with some solar electronics making the heaviest purchase might be the best choice!

I am in a very similar situation with an existing split-phase genset wired to a split-phase electrical panel. Because of that I had decided to keep the existing wiring and purchase a split-phase inverter to facilitate the integration of the inverter.

After some delicate and tedious research, the same Magnum 4448 inverter was at the top of my list.

Now imagine how not happy I am to read about your issues with the same inverter I am about to purchase...
don't worry it is as solid of one as you can get in its class. I have two of the 4448 and to be honest if I had understood the difference between it and the 4048 (120 non split) for my use the 4048 would have probably been better. Other than a lightening strike that took out my charging board on one of mine, I have had no real issues with them.

that same lightening strike took out a neighbors fridge and hot water heater so it was in good company.

I have since went the gonzo route for lightening strike protection with every line protected both AC and DC with the Midnite solar surge protectors and have had no issues since then with lightening even though we have had several close strikes since that time.

YMMV.

I think that anyone that bases their purchasing decision on shipping weight has no clue what they are doing.
what about when you can only ship via USPS and they have a weight limit.... not everyone's circumstances are the same. the heaviest thing I can ship to my bases post office is 70 lbs and a 4448 boxed up is right at the limit for shipping to me. anything bigger and I would have to ship commercial, pay Japanese import taxes and basically take it in the shorts.

No, but basing one's (inverter) design decision on weight is another story.
Also, high frequency inverters could reach 99%, vs. low-frequency a mere 98% (bragging rights, you know.)

I think as a retired electrician, you have an understanding of what's referred to as "inrush current"? And also that you can not measure inrush with a standard clamp meter because the reading is not fast enough? You have to buy a special clamp meter designed to read "inrush" (that means expensive).

As a general rule, transformer based low-frequency inverters have far higher "inrush" capability then high-frequency models. As a general rule, HF can surge 200% for 8-16 milliseconds. LF models however might have the capacity to surge 200% for 5-60 seconds, literally 1000X longer. You need this very long surge timing for the starting of electrical motors that run under load, like power tools, compressors, and pumps.

You're thinking of the inrush transformers can supply, and I'm studying the inrush they can draw. Fun stuff!

I hooked a CV/CC supply to a power transformer and caught the waveform with a scope. 15 milliseconds of low current, then it shot up to CC limit.
Turned supply off, then back on. This time 2 milliseconds until it shot up. With core left magnetized, it saturated quickly (in about 25% of one half line cycle.)

If I alternated polarity before each time I applied voltage, it always held off the current for 15 milliseconds. Almost two (60 Hz) half cycles, or one and a half (50 Hz) cycles.

When you turn a transformer off, then back on again, it is a coin toss whether it will get hit with the same polarity twice in a row. If you do, Inrush! Current is limited by winding resistance, not inductance. (I wonder if similar effect occurs in motors, or if inrush is always repeatable.)

I need to determine max surge for the transformers, also for SMPS, and and ensure simultaneous vs. sequencing of supplies doesn't trip breakers.

But I don't see anything inherent in low-frequency transformers that let them deliver higher surge current. I think some high-frequency inverters do have multiple second surge ratings. Is Sigineer high frequency? 20 seconds at 3x nominal current. "General Rules" were made to be broken.

Has DC supply to OP's inverter been ruled out? Wiring resistance and condition of battery.

No, but basing one's (inverter) design decision on weight is another story.
Also, high frequency inverters could reach 99%, vs. low-frequency a mere 98% (bragging rights, you know.)

You're thinking of the inrush transformers can supply, and I'm studying the inrush they can draw. Fun stuff!

I hooked a CV/CC supply to a power transformer and caught the waveform with a scope. 15 milliseconds of low current, then it shot up to CC limit.
Turned supply off, then back on. This time 2 milliseconds until it shot up. With core left magnetized, it saturated quickly (in about 25% of one half line cycle.)

If I alternated polarity before each time I applied voltage, it always held off the current for 15 milliseconds. Almost two (60 Hz) half cycles, or one and a half (50 Hz) cycles.

When you turn a transformer off, then back on again, it is a coin toss whether it will get hit with the same polarity twice in a row. If you do, Inrush! Current is limited by winding resistance, not inductance. (I wonder if similar effect occurs in motors, or if inrush is always repeatable.)

I need to determine max surge for the transformers, also for SMPS, and and ensure simultaneous vs. sequencing of supplies doesn't trip breakers.

But I don't see anything inherent in low-frequency transformers that let them deliver higher surge current. I think some high-frequency inverters do have multiple second surge ratings. Is Sigineer high frequency? 20 seconds at 3x nominal current. "General Rules" were made to be broken.

Has DC supply to OP's inverter been ruled out? Wiring resistance and condition of battery.
Signeer is a good example of a Chinese inverter maker that is rapidly approaching tier one status... as long as they do not let their standards slip. They have several different models which is what has kept me from buying one to date. they change models so rapidly I am wary of buying one and not be able to repair it a year later. but i really like the specs on their 12kw and 18 kw units... not to mention the fact they are offering 3 phase models...

Full disclosure, I work for MidNite Solar, I think the HF design gets a bad rap on surge mostly based on current product, not a nature of the design itself, I have seen a HF design by one of the current top charge controller manufacturers surge greater and longer than a Magnum or Schneider, And our engineering dept tells me the same with our new Rosie. Time will tell for sure but I wonder if its just that most of the current HF designs are not as robust in design?

don't worry it is as solid of one as you can get in its class.
Thanks for the feedback Ken, it is reassuring!

This is my first off-grid setup and I have limited experience with electrical systems, so I need something reliable.

what about when you can only ship via USPS and they have a weight limit.... not everyone's circumstances are the same. the heaviest thing I can ship to my bases post office is 70 lbs and a 4448 boxed up is right at the limit for shipping to me. anything bigger and I would have to ship commercial, pay Japanese import taxes and basically take it in the shorts.
Actually, when I ordered my XW+, the deliverer refused to drive to my front door because his truck was too big. I had to meet him at a K-Mart parking lot, and backed my pickup truck against the back of his delivery truck. Then we slid the XW's pallet from one bed to the other. Just an example of the hoops I have to jump through to get what I want.

Back