diy solar

diy solar

Not sure how many and what size panels I will need.

jbborg

Just got done watching Wills easy set up. He is using a 48V 100AH LiFePower4 by EG4 and 3kW Stackable 48V 150VDC 80A Off-Grid Inverter This seems like what I need but I am unsure what size and how many Panels I would need for a 3kW set up. Also which is easier to work with 24volt or 48 volt?

I am unsure what size and how many Panels I would need for a 3kW set up
You size your array to replenish the power you will use. Have you done an energy audit to find your current or planned energy needs?

Also which is easier to work with 24volt or 48 volt?
48V will allow smaller wire gauge and fuses. But 48V can be lethal, 24V is pretty safe.

You size your array to replenish the power you will use. Have you done an energy audit to find your current or planned energy needs?

48V will allow smaller wire gauge and fuses. But 48V can be lethal, 24V is pretty safe.
I need 3kw average

2700kw /day
The number you give must be in watt hours (Wh). For example - a device might use 10 watts when turned on. If you use that device for 2.5 hours per day then you have used 10W x 2.5h/day = 25Wh/day. Do that for each device to determine how many watt hours each device uses in a day. Then add them all up.

I have added all the items I want to run using the things everyone has mentioned. 2700 watt-hours a day is what I need. PLEASE excuse me if I am not using the correct terminology and confusing the issue. That was not my intent.I am new at this. It seemed like the setup that Will talked about in his video and that I referenced, in the beginning, would be what I needed.
1/ Will this 48V 100AH LiFePower4 by EG4 and 3kW Stackable 48V 150VDC 80A Off-Grid Inverter work for 2700 watt hours per day?
Thanks in advance.

A 48V 100Ah batter bank is 5120Wh. Assuming you use 80% per day that leaves you 4,096Wh. So that much battery will easily provide your 2700Wh/day needs assuming you can recharge the battery enough each day. You'll actually get 1.5 days of use without any recharge.

So now you need to work out how much solar you need to keep the battery recharged every day. Let's assume an average of 5 hours of good sunlight. You need 2700Wh of solar in 5 hours. That's 540W of solar. But that assumes you get 100% of that 540W during those 5 hours. You won't. And that only recharges exactly one day's worth of usage. I'd suggest 750W or more of solar to be sure.

It also depends on how the panels will be mounted. Do you have good southern exposure with no shade? Or will the panels need to deal with shade or unideal orientation?

One missing piece so far is how much stuff you need to run at once. That is needed to know whether a 3000W inverter will meet your needs. I suspect it's fine since at 2700Wh that means your 3000W inverter would only have to run for less than an hour to reach. Since your loads are likely spread out more the inverter should be plenty. In fact, it may be needlessly large. If you give us a list of equipment you will run each day and the wattage of each then we can help you nail down the system.

PLEASE excuse me if I am not using the correct terminology and confusing the issue. That was not my intent.I am new at this.
Not a problem. We were all new at this once. The replies were meant to be helpful to ensure we start speaking the same language.

Reactions: RAA
I will consolidate it for you:
House dehumidifying system 75 watts x 24 hours a day =1800
Internet modem, 2 routers, and switches 47 watts x 24 hours day = 1128
Mac computer 60 watts x 6 hours day = 360
Windows computer-monitor 80 watts x 1 hour day = 80
This totals 3368 watts/ day

3368 watt hours / day

If you use the correct units, the math and communication are pretty easy.
Assuming 5 hrs of solar in your area:

3368Wh / 5h = 673W from solar array everyday

Planning on days without sunshine means more battery storage (3368Wh / day).

3368Wh / 12.8V battery = 263Ah per day running from battery(s)

Note that after cloudy day(s), your array will not only have to provide power for that day (3368Wh), it will also have to recharge your battery(s), presumably at 3368Wh per day or whatever your battery bank needs to be recharged.

Grid tie? Or grid free?

Are you looking to save money, or?
(FYI solar won’t save you money over grid-tie). Wildhat guess is 1600W of panels and 500Ah minimum usable battery bank to cover a day or maybe two.

EDIT how did I not see yesterday’s responses until after I posted?! Sorry!

Last edited:
I will consolidate it for you:
House dehumidifying system 75 watts x 24 hours a day =1800
Internet modem, 2 routers, and switches 47 watts x 24 hours day = 1128
Mac computer 60 watts x 6 hours day = 360
Windows computer-monitor 80 watts x 1 hour day = 80
This means that if you were running everything at the same time that would be 75W + 47W + 60W + 80W = 262W of loads. I'm not sure why you are looking at a 3000W inverter when your requirements are so much lower. A 1000W inverter should be more than enough even if the dehumidifier has a big startup surge. And with a 1000W inverter there is little reason to go with a 48V system. A 12V system is just fine.

Since you need 3400Wh/day then with a 12V system you would need 3400Wh / 12.8V / 0.8 = 332Ah of battery for each day assuming you only use 80% of the battery per day.

What rmaddy said is fine
I might use a 1200W inverter in case you want to run a vacuum and it’s a tad of headroom in case you add something else. Although I guess 1000W is still headroom for 350+ watts lol

The idea on the panels is you need enough to use and recharge the batteries at the same time. That makes 600-1000W of panels make sense EXCEPT not every day has ideal sun exposure.
So the additional panel watts a) can put out a bit in less than optimal sun, and b) assuming you go 500Ah usable storage that will recover the battery bank in potentially one morning instead of ‘struggling’ days on end in changing, poorer weather with minimal charge opportunity.

Thanks to all who have replied. If I am understanding all of the great responses. For what I need to run 3400Wh/day I might be able to use a smaller converter and lower voltage. The reason I liked the system that Will had in his video is that it was almost all "plug and play" Do any of you know a system similar to the one in my original post that might work. (Checks in the mail to all responders- LOL)

that Will had in his video
Will has a LOT of videos.

But, there are a bunch of blueprints on the sister-site. Click on the DIY Solar Blueprint item at the top of this page to get there.

Find something(s) close to what you like and we can suggest options for anything you like.

it was almost all "plug and play"
The difference between components and plug’n’play is just a few connectors and wires. Sure, an aio is ‘simpler’ but you are uptaking the basics here- then it’s just implementing a plan.
If all you need is 1000W inverter- that’s covered now
If all you need is 1000- or 1500W of panels the epever 60A controller will do that AND give some headroom for possible future upgrade(s).

The components with headroom usually sum cost less than the AIOs.

Just to confuse things a little more. I was hoping for a charge controller that would let me have a 110v input to controller and 110v output.
The difference between components and plug’n’play is just a few connectors and wires. Sure, an aio is ‘simpler’ but you are uptaking the basics here- then it’s just implementing a plan.
If all you need is 1000W inverter- that’s covered now
If all you need is 1000- or 1500W of panels the epever 60A controller will do that AND give some headroom for possible future upgrade(s).

The components with headroom usually sum cost less than the AIOs.

I am looking for a charge controller that will let me input 110v from the main so that I can maintain service even if the panels or battery are disconnected. I am pretty sure the Growatt does that but unsure of others. (Hope this isnt confusing)

Will has a LOT of videos.

But, there are a bunch of blueprints on the sister-site. Click on the DIY Solar Blueprint item at the top of this page to get there.

Find something(s) close to what you like and we can suggest options for anything you like.
Thanks - I am looking for a charge controller that will let me input 110v from the main so that I can maintain service even if the panels or battery are disconnected. I am pretty sure the Growatt does that but unsure of others. (Hope this isnt confusing)

Back