diy solar

diy solar

Off Grid Cabin Alarm

RStone13

Amps X Voltage = Watts
Hello; Will, my name is Bruce F. I watched & enjoyed your live stream the other day. I learned quite a bit about you & I must say we agree a lot. But that is not why I am writing. You pointed out it's "DIY" solar and your enjoyment is seeing other peoples build ideas. So my way of thanking you for all I have learned from you is to share mine. I have included 6 photos.

Problem; I have a off grid cabin in the woods of Maine. I use solar for power thanks to you. But how do I keep the batteries warm enough to be able to charge in winter when gone for months at a time.

Solution; I took a old cooler I had & set it on a $7 dolly from harbor freight, #1.

Drilled a couple holes for cable, photo #3.

Attached 200w inverter & current meter photo #4.

Also added temperature gauge & power meter photo #5

lined in side with bubble wrap & foam board, then put in DIY battery and a car push bulb light assembly under $10 photo #6

When bulb is lit its consumption is only 7w. It generates enough heat to keep cooler well above freezing 40 to 60 degree range all winter photo #7

Problem solved, hope you liked.

PS: Simply Safe Alarm System $250 runs on 10w consumption and uses cell tower transmissions for communication. So for about 25w consumption rate you can have a warm battery (ie power when your there) & alarm system for your off grid cabin when you're not.
"Note" Use BMS with low temp cut off incase bulb burns out.

Thanks Again

Bruce F

Attachments

• #1 cooler.JPG
    #1 cooler.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 39
  • #3 cable through.JPG
    #3 cable through.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 31
  • #4 inverter & current meter.JPG
    #4 inverter & current meter.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 34
  • #5 top of cooler.JPG
    #5 top of cooler.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 36
  • #6 inside light off.JPG
    #6 inside light off.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 40
  • #7 light on.JPG
    #7 light on.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 39
Here is a company that produces Alarm Systems suitable for offgrid cabins, RV's trailers and more... Quite popular, many of us Cabineers have them. Just an alternate option.

Here is a company that produces Alarm Systems suitable for offgrid cabins, RV's trailers and more... Quite popular, many of us Cabineers have them. Just an alternate option.
Thanks but looks as it only makes noise. I need to be notified and police called as I live hundreds of miles away. Simply Safe does that

Hi Bruce, looks like a nice project.

I've been monitoring my remote off grid site for 20 years. About 10 years ago I started using the cell network to keep me connected.

The Simply Safe systems look good, but if it is the one I just googled, there is a monthly $15 bill that goes with it.....

If you have any computer programming skills, or have a kid that does, look into (google) the Particle Boron....

It is a single board computer, with a built in programming language and a cellphone link (think it's uses ATT).

They have a development kit, which includes a Boron about $50.

A ton of sample programs. I think the second or third sample program is "close a switch, send a Notification to my Cellphone".

One of my Boron's is linked to a PIR detector, at my gate about 1500 feet down the hill.

The PIR detects motion, the Boron sends off the notification to the cell network and 5 seconds later my phone displays "Gate Alarm". And 2 minutes later they drive up to the top of the hill.... It also sends battery reports, so I know when I have to scoot down there and re-charge the battery.

The monthly bill is $3.00 a month, per installed unit.... I've got 3 or 4 spread out doing separate tasks.

One Boron can VERY easily monitor and report PIR's and battery voltage an, temperature and/or just about anything that can be sensed...

Enjoy your projects !!!!

Attachments

• Boron.jpg
    Boron.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 11
I built my own system for less than $150. It calls me if the alarm is activated and turns all the cameras on. My neighbor is closer than the sheriff and has permission to shoot anyone who comes down my road. The IFTTT App can be very useful for automated systems.

Back