diy solar

diy solar

Off grid completely

Bringing up a generator and dropping the load onto it like it was a UPS can and does create issues. Ideally you want the generator to start with little or no load so that it has a chance reach full rpm and to stabilize. After up and running than loads can be introduced without putting as much stress on the generators ability to maintain voltage and frequency.

I think you said, "I want a Sunny Island."

It starts the generator, gives time for warm-up, synchronizes inverter output to generator, closes relay to parallel.
Current draw from generator is limited to programmed amount, balance from batteries.

After disconnecting from generator, it is allowed a cool-down period with no load before being shut off.

Periodically, generator is started and run to exercise it.

Different battery SoC trigger generator operation during night vs. day, to avoid noise at night if possible.

With suitable generator characteristics of frequency vs. load, AC coupled PV inverters deliver their full output power when needed, curtail production only if load becomes so light that generator spins up to higher RPM. Of course, Sunny Island monitors for backfeed, and disconnects generator as needed to prevent that.

Perhaps some other inverters with off-grid history have similar functions.

Perhaps some other inverters with off-grid history have similar functions.
Off hand I do not know of any. Most seem to simply provide a set of dry contacts. Perhaps someone knows of a generator controller/switchgear unit that could provide all the benefits of the Sunny Island.

Most inverters have a contactor for generator and/or grid input.
I would think many have dry contact for 2-wire generator start.
Beyond that, it is just firmware. Surely Trace or Schneider would do something similar.

But SMA supported AC and DC coupled off-grid systems with generators for years. The focus was on efficient use of diesel, and long life for lead-acid battery (NiCd also supported.)

What Sunny Island lacks is separate grid and generator inputs.
The new European model does support external 200A contactor. Potentially it could then use AC2 input for generator (but would need separate monitoring of input to 200A contactor.)

I wish they would do a firmware update for SI 6048US supporting UL-1741-SB and peak shaving/time shifting etc.
Maybe European model will be brought here with those feature.
Have heard Sunny Island being discontinued; hope it is only current model.

I'm probably missing something but my circa 2008 Outback 3524 auto started/stopped my Perkins/Marathon diesel two-wire genset for over 15 years and 18,000 hours. The Outback provides user settings for warm-up time and generator exercising. It's simple and it's worked for years. Can it fail? Sure, but I'd hate to be on site every time the the batteries needed to be charged.

@ChillnGrill I am building my Sunmodo ground mount right now and I blew apart a top cap with the 20ft lbs of torque on the set screws. I got scared and did all of the rest of them to 10 ft lbs so I don't break any others. Did you run into anything like this? Trying to decide if I should inch them up in increments of 2 ft lbs, but I don't want to break any more. The manual states in one place they are maximum torque values.

@ChillnGrill I am building my Sunmodo ground mount right now and I blew apart a top cap with the 20ft lbs of torque on the set screws. I got scared and did all of the rest of them to 10 ft lbs so I don't break any others. Did you run into anything like this? Trying to decide if I should inch them up in increments of 2 ft lbs, but I don't want to break any more. The manual states in one place they are maximum torque values.
Did not have that problem

Back